User talk:Nemo bis

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to: navigation, search
MediaWiki.svg

Welcome to MediaWiki.org!

Yes, welcome! This site is dedicated to documenting the MediaWiki software, the software behind many wikis, including that of Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation projects.
Please, take a look at the following pages. They might prove useful to you as a newcomer here:

If you have any questions, please ask me on my talk page. Once again, welcome, and I hope you quickly feel comfortable here, and find this site useful documentation of the MediaWiki software.

Thanks! Dolinna 14:27, 13 November 2011 (UTC)

Contents

Useful stuff[edit]

Translating:Configuration
Translating:Group configuration
Translating:Group configuration example
Translating:Group management
Translating:Installation
Translating:Page translation feature
Translating:Tmserver

Please import from translatewiki: to Help: namespace. Nikerabbit 11:59, 30 December 2011 (UTC)

Estensioni[edit]

Ho notato da MOLTO tempo che su MediaWiki ci sono estensioni interessanti, cioè che dallo scrennshot sembrano interessanti. In realtà no nsono mai riuscito a capire cosa siano e come si installano. Se i potresti indicare dove posso iniziare a capire cosa sono o, se ti va dirmelo te, te ne sarei grato. Raoli 20:51, 7 January 2012 (UTC)

No. non ho un server. Intendevo sul computer. Vedi non capisco :(--Raoli 21:31, 7 January 2012 (UTC)
No,no. Perdita di tempo. Sono stato per 1 ora a provare, ma non ci sono riuscito. Meglio così. Comunque era per provare Extension:ReaderFeedback. Parlando di altro, tu ci andrai a Wikimania 2012? Raoli 23:04, 7 January 2012 (UTC)
Ok ho visto lì un po' di esempi. Mi chiedo perchè le sperimentazioni in italiano non le accettiamo mai, eppure perchè non sperimentare? --Raoli 23:22, 7 January 2012 (UTC)
(scusa per il ritardo) Beh, non lo sapevo. Sarà perché non godiamo di buona fama di sperimentatori o perché si stanno adeguando al governo italiano che ha tagliato i fondi per la ricerca. Non è giusto!!! Raoli (talk) 20:22, 21 January 2012 (UTC)

Comment / highlight system[edit]

Hi. This is really interesting, thanks for posting it. FYI, we mentioned a (hypothetical) similar system during a discussion about quality at WikiSym 2010: Quality assessment tools for Wikipedia readers. guillom 18:20, 2 February 2012 (UTC)

Thanks![edit]

I just noticed the edits you made to my userpage... somehow they slipped under my radar until now. Thanks a lot :) The email welcome link unfortunately doesn't seem to be what I was looking for, but it might get me in the right track :D the bug link is probably relevant, I'll have to ask around to make sure :) Cheers, Waldir (talk) 17:37, 27 February 2012 (UTC)

Yes, I thought I knew what you meant but couldn't find the exact page as well. Nemo 19:53, 27 February 2012 (UTC)

Re: Extension talk:LiquidThreads/Notes[edit]

Sorry Nemo, I think this is already in bugzilla somewhere. Although I do not believe it is fixed yet. I was just commenting on the irony of the example. https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30175 - Schalice (talk) 18:13, 1 April 2012 (UTC)

Problema[edit]

Ho notato che il software di mediawiki non riesce a interpretare come link questo link http://www.ilgiornale.it/a.pic1?ID=546387 all'interno di un template. Esempio: Se vedi la pagina Edoardo Mori andando in modalità di modifica puoi notare come abbia dovuto sostiuire a = il suo corrispondente = (qui li vedi uguali, ma se ora leggessi questa conversazione in modfica noteresti la differenza). Quindi bisognerebbe proporre di leggere il segno = come =. Infatti in questo modo il link in un template funziona. Altrimenti no. Hai qualche idea a proposito? :) Grazie Raoli (talk) 14:33, 10 April 2012 (UTC)

È il normale funzionamento dei template, si sistema cosí quando un parametro ha un =. --Nemo 18:00, 10 April 2012 (UTC)

Link for Project Milkshake"[edit]

Hi. About your edit, I asked Alolita for a link this morning :) Hopefully she'll come up with something, but in the meantime, thanks for adding the etherpad link (I didn't know it existed). guillom 12:18, 30 July 2012 (UTC)

Bugzilla and section links[edit]

Note: This discussion was moved to Talk:Bugzilla.

Re: Future of Toolserver[edit]

Grazie per avermi informato, non ne ero affatto al corrente. Però potevi scrivere anche in italiano :) Ciao, --Frigotoni ...i'm here; 19:09, 29 September 2012 (UTC)

contributions footer[edit]

Hey, you removed the link to meta here. The reason I added it, or better changed it to meta, is that it is easier for stewards to lock accounts. We can't lock accounts via the CentralAuth interface on local wikis. The link is very useful when doing spambot checks and saves us some time at least. Please re-consider your change or add another link to meta. Thanks, -Barras (talk) 10:24, 7 October 2012 (UTC)

I've reverted myself: the matter is not worth discussing. I should have checked the history better, I just assumed the link hadn't been changed since the era when CA was only on Meta and didn't think of this edge case. Cheers, Nemo 20:33, 9 October 2012 (UTC)

JIRA link[edit]

Here you used a link to JIRA that is private to your account, i. e. it cannot be accessed from other accounts or anonymously. I don't know how to fix this. --Tim Landscheidt 23:10, 16 October 2012 (UTC)

Thank you for letting me know. Looks like saved searches can only be shared with individual users, but I've put the public permalink now. Thanks, Nemo 07:32, 17 October 2012 (UTC)

Translate extension[edit]

Due to my ignorance about the translate extension, I was only able to respond to the third point that you raised (and hopefully what I said about that point wasn't too ignorant. :)). Leucosticte (talk) 13:33, 21 October 2012 (UTC)

1.21 welcomecreation-msg change[edit]

Thanks for MediaWiki_1.21/wmf5#welcomecreation and notifying the wikis. Should I also make a change to RELEASE-NOTES-1.21 ? I don't understand why that page doesn't reference or incorporate the former. -- S Page (WMF) (talk) 05:23, 6 December 2012 (UTC)

"How to contribute" still not for translation[edit]

Hi, I plan to edit a lot How to contribute in the following days. Can you please revert your i18n edits? I volunteer putting those tags back now that I see how it is done. Needless to say, you feedback and help improving that page is welcome. :) --Qgil (talk) 18:47, 24 December 2012 (UTC)

Sorry, I saw this message only now. Echo is killing all user talk notifications, it seems. --Nemo 19:52, 24 December 2012 (UTC)
No worries. I'm working this week, and I don't expect many translators jumping on the new strings.  :) Where can I learn about all this nice i18n tagging you are doing? This is new to me.--Qgil (talk) 19:54, 24 December 2012 (UTC)
Yes, I just imported the old translations, this doesn't prevent changes to the source. Translate has extensive documentation, you can start with Help:Extension:Translate/Page translation example for the tagging. --Nemo 20:15, 24 December 2012 (UTC)

Take a pause[edit]

Rosolli.jpg Rosolli
... and enjoy Rosolli. Nikerabbit (talk) 19:30, 24 December 2012 (UTC)
Aww thank you so much. :) --Nemo 19:52, 24 December 2012 (UTC)

Re:Find the Vendors[edit]

Ciao, Nemo:) Thank you for the interest in my project and the questions. The aim of my project is to find any issues, feedback, suggestions 3-rd party MediaWiki users have as well as what fixes/improvements/services they could possibly contribute back to the community. Currently I am compiling a list of active users to reach out to but I hope the communication with them will start in a few days and I would love to have specific questions for them. So the release notes discussion will definitely be relevant. For what I understand the questions are what information should go in release notes and how should they be organized to be most useful and what extensions should be bundled with core updates? Please let me know if you have any other specific questions and suggestions in mind. I appreciate it! --Mitevam 15:26, 10 January 2013 (UTC)

CAPTCHAs + spam[edit]

Hi. Regarding this edit, is there any evidence to support the claim that CATPCHAs are ineffective at stopping bots from spamming? --MZMcBride (talk) 07:15, 11 January 2013 (UTC)

See talk. --Nemo 07:25, 11 January 2013 (UTC)

Invited to join MediaWiki Group Promotion[edit]

Thank you for all your work promoting MediaWiki in various forms. You are invited to join the MediaWiki Group Promotion (proposed, waiting for official approval). We are just starting, your questions or feedback about the group itself are priceless.  :) --Qgil (talk) 18:31, 11 January 2013 (UTC)

Thank you, but I already have enough hats. I've just succeded in getting rid of some, I'll try not to increase them too soon. --Nemo 19:26, 11 January 2013 (UTC)
I'm a big fan of saying No, so I fully understand you. Keep the good work!--Qgil (talk) 20:50, 11 January 2013 (UTC)

Please review Template talk:Current versions[edit]

Hi, can you have a look at the new template content proposed at Template talk:Current versions? I welcome your advice especially on i18n. The reason for the change is this discussion here. Thank you.--Qgil (talk) 23:30, 17 January 2013 (UTC)

Babel.css[edit]

Hi! Babel.css is lost or really do not need? --Kaganer (talk) 08:58, 6 February 2013 (UTC)

I'm quite sure it's not needed (nobody reported problems). I don't know why it was removed, specifically: you should browse the log or ask SPQRobin, I've myself wondered what to answer to that thread for a while... --Nemo 09:46, 6 February 2013 (UTC)

/no[edit]

As I understand, "no" is unsupported code; Category:MediaWiki_Introduction/no (and all content from Category:Top level/no) should be moved to /nb or /nn, with supressed redirects? --Kaganer (talk) 11:05, 13 February 2013 (UTC)

Heads-up[edit]

Hi! Can you state your thoughts on User talk:Nemo bis/MediaWiki search#Page name? Thanks :) --Waldir (talk) 04:09, 8 March 2013 (UTC)

Fonts for bo, dz[edit]

ULS has Jomolhari as default font for these languages. https://sites.google.com/site/chrisfynn2/home/fonts/jomolhari --Santhosh.thottingal (talk) 07:30, 14 March 2013 (UTC)

Thank you for your feedback about Wikitech contributors[edit]

Thank you for your feedback in several fronts. It has helped making deep changes to the initial proposal. Looking forward for more feedback and your always welcomed constructive criticism, hopefully now getting closer to implementation details.  :) --Qgil (talk) 22:28, 5 April 2013 (UTC)

Reverted edits on MediaWiki 1.15[edit]

Hi why did you undid my edits on MediaWiki 1.15

Marking edits for translation[edit]

Hei Nemo bis, you added some text in March on this page (for example), bit didn’t mark it for translation (but obviously have the right to do so). So, is there a specific reason, why this text shall only be visible at the English version but not the translated versions? Meanwhile, this is not the only change on pages with the translation extension which isn’t marked for translation for many months (I can’t say now, if you also made some of the other edits or someone else or both), and I also don’t know any page which lists all those changes that need to be marked, is there such a page around?

In my opinion, it would be better, if the English text and the translations had the same basis, but I can’t see this on many pages I visited today and yesterday. Why is it so and how could that be changed? If there is any possibility to look specifically for all changes on pages with the translation extension that haven’t been marked yet, then it would be best, if they could be checked and marked altogether.

One more question (to you as a translation admin): Why are there translation pages for en: also (which are created by Fuzzy bot and will never be translated or have a need for that). Has that anything to do with the fact that there are so many unmarked pages, so that it is possible to see the difference between the marked and the unmarked version or should they better all be deleted? Greetings --Geitost diskusjon 16:00, 21 May 2013 (UTC)

This change of March 13 is also not marked. Perhaps you can take a look at your edits of March, there seem to be more. --Geitost diskusjon 16:06, 21 May 2013 (UTC)

Hello, the page to see unmarked changes is Special:PageTranslation. I didn't mark those because usually that's done by Siebrand or Nikerabbit after they've checked the changes to the docs are ok. In general, if a change is going to be stable enough and there are no errors, there's no reason to wait, but of course translation admins can forget. There's no shortage of pages to translate, anyway. --Nemo 16:20, 21 May 2013 (UTC)
Thanks for your answer. Yes, on that page are more of those pages listed that I stumbled over today. ;-) Good to have such a page. It even would be better, if it were possible to see the time the changes are waiting (like it is for pending changes). Here has been removed a lot of text in March which isn’t marked yet, so translators might do more work, if they translate old text which has already be removed in the source text, so that’s not very best this way. Is there a page, where someone can request marking for translation, so changes don’t get marked for months? Or what is best to do with it? By the way, I also changed a grammar fault yesterday. --Geitost diskusjon 16:36, 21 May 2013 (UTC)

Internationalization of MediaWiki:Recentchangestext[edit]

I want to make a MediaWiki:Recentchangestext to a multilingual, to be displayed in the user's interface language. I are create Template:Recentchangestext for collect translatable content. But for substitute this text into MediaWiki:Recentchangestext, shoul be used hack with using "MediaWiki:Lang/xx" set of messages. Maybe you'll do import this set (as in Meta:)? --Kaganer (talk) 16:33, 11 June 2013 (UTC)

Hello Kaganer, for the sidebar and other interface messages it would be better to use Unstructured element translation, I think. It's used on wm2013:. --Nemo 18:43, 11 June 2013 (UTC)
Okay, but this requires to creating new message group 'recentchangestext-messages' by server admin. You may initiate this? --Kaganer (talk) 21:40, 11 June 2013 (UTC)

About the French MW list[edit]

ping about this discussion (thanks for your input I just saw). ~ Seb35 11:01, 23 June 2013 (UTC)

Ma io non lo so[edit]

Chiedi tu una cosa su VE e magicamente te la danno! Troppo facile, voglio sapere il trucco. --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 19:50, 1 July 2013 (UTC)

Io ho avanzato la tua richiesta, solo questo. --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 20:01, 1 July 2013 (UTC)

Advertising page just added...[edit]

I've just seen that a page The Programmes Included In Fitness Trainer Training has recently been added: it appears to be an advertisement. I don't have admin rights here, and I can't delete it myself -- could you please bring it to the attention of someone who can? -- The Anome (talk) 09:31, 8 July 2013 (UTC)

Updating Histlegend[edit]

You reverted my change to histlegend so that the link for watchers points back to MZ's now-defunct watcher on Toolserver. I had updated the link to point to the suggested "action=info" on MW.o. I realize I didn't use an edit summary for my change, so that fault is mine. Thoughts? -- MarkAHershberger(talk) 13:41, 19 August 2013 (UTC)

I logged out and went to the main page's info and saw "Number of page watchers 1,244". It seems like the necessary info was there. Also see this thread. -- MarkAHershberger(talk) 17:01, 19 August 2013 (UTC)
Ok, saw that the number of watchers on my user page shows "less than 30 when I'm not logged in. Still, that seems useful. But I'll let you decide that -- it isn't something I've used. (You were in Hong Kong, right? I should have found the time to look you up. Next time...) -- MarkAHershberger(talk) 18:32, 19 August 2013 (UTC)

draft of new section for MediaWiki documentation on Manual:Languages[edit]

Have you seen my draft of a new section for Manual:Languages? See also the thread on translatewiki.net. Sorry it has taken a while to get to these. Lloffiwr (talk) 17:13, 10 September 2013 (UTC)

No problem Lloffiwr (talk) 17:21, 10 September 2013 (UTC)

Using Wikidata on MediaWiki.org[edit]

Hi Nemo, I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool to put data about the various MediaWiki tables and fields in Wikidata, and use that in our documentation pages? E.g., Database table and field prefix registration, which has some of the same data as other pages. Is this doable, and if so, how? I got the impression from wikipedia:Wikipedia:Wikidata#Infoboxes_.28Phase_2.29 that maybe we're not there yet. Thanks, Leucosticte (talk) 16:45, 10 October 2013 (UTC)

It's pretty exciting, although I'm not sure which I prefer, this system or Semantic MediaWiki. Probably this system. It's water over the dam, anyway. Leucosticte (talk) 19:31, 10 October 2013 (UTC)

Help:Extension:Translate/Combating vandalism[edit]

Could you proofread that page, approve it or integrate it somewhere else where it is still easily accessible? Background: We're getting questions at the Administrator's noticeboard from users who try undoing vandalism-edits. Thanks in advance. -- Rillke (talk) 22:12, 12 October 2013 (UTC)

The way you suggest here seems unnecessarily complicated to me: you only have to remember that you can only edit the Translations namespace. If you're not on the correct diff but on its "mirror", the easiest way to reach the Translations: diff is clicking "contributions" next to the editor/vandal's name. --Nemo 07:48, 13 October 2013 (UTC)
That's why I was asking you :-) So write this down. Something explaining this "mirror" madness to users who come from wikis without the extension so they understand quickly without having to read the complete manual is required; although I think the translate extension should provide a button in the mirror-diff that allows switching to the actual diff. -- Rillke (talk) 08:32, 13 October 2013 (UTC)
Sure. I did [1], in the coming days the others will see and review it. If it's good enough in your opinion, you can redirect your help page there and point people to that snippet. A link like that is probably impossible because of bugzilla:45894, but feel free to describe the problem you face and the requirements for a solution in an enhancement request, so that they can consider finding a solution at some point. --Nemo 08:40, 13 October 2013 (UTC)
Hmm. I prefer a clear and easy step-by-step guide dedicated to non-translators. But if you're proposing Help:Extension:Translate/Combating vandalism for deletion, please add an anchor to the new Reverting part so one can link to that directly. -- Rillke (talk) 10:46, 13 October 2013 (UTC)

Cite tool in WikiEditor[edit]

Hello, can you tell me how to add a Cite option like Wikipedia in WikiEditor toolbar? Titodutta (talk) 08:50, 13 October 2013 (UTC)

Requests for comment/Configuration database[edit]

Hi, Requests for comment/Configuration database is being considered as one of the RFCs to be discussed at the RFC review on 2013-11-06 via IRC. You are receiving this notification because you edited or discussed this RFC. We hope to see you there.--Qgil (talk) 00:32, 5 November 2013 (UTC)

VE[edit]

Dalle FAQ: VisualEditor works well with the most recent versions of Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari (ESR non è il Firefox normale, per cui non mi meraviglio se non va. Vedi anche questo.) Ricordatevi che su en. non si può editare da sloggati e che VE va eventualmente attivato tramite Beta Features. Ciao, --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 21:37, 30 November 2013 (UTC)

Ci riprovo. I browser su cui possiamo dire che VE vada adesso sono quelli elencati sopra. ESR (che per ora è alla versione 24 è rotti) "non è" FF. Vedi altre info qui. Il bug che ti ho linkato, e che non è risolto, chiede appunto che anche ESR sia supportato in futuro visto che FF lo è già. In linea di principio per i browser maggiori deve funzionare sicuramente la versione corrente nel momento in cui il supporto viene aggiunto, e nei limiti del possibile forse anche la precedente. Il che significa che se anche VE funzionasse su ESR adesso questo varrebbe per la versione 24 e potenzialmente per la 17, non per la 10. Se stessi parlando con amici, peraltro, mi permetterei di consigliare Chrome per VE. Empiricamente mi sembra che un tot di bug ultimamente riguardino più che altro FF. --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 10:42, 1 December 2013 (UTC)
Posso senz'altro rendere le indicazioni relative più chiare. Ribadisco che tutto quello che è diverso dai 4 elencati sopra può non funzionare propriamente con VE (IE non lo carica proprio; alcuni altri possono funzionare come non funzionare, non possiamo garantire niente in merito). Ti faccio sapere qualcosa di preciso mercoledì. --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 17:56, 1 December 2013 (UTC)
FYI. --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 10:09, 4 December 2013 (UTC)
Non posso garantirtelo. Non è elencato esplicitamente in quella pagina, c'è un bug relativo non chiuso, secondo Liangent non è nella whitelist per cui non funzionerebbe comunque, e non mi risulta di poterlo scaricare per poterlo testare io stessa. Per cui adesso lascio un messaggio in merito nella talk di James qui, così potrai vedere cosa risponde. Saluti, --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 10:28, 4 December 2013 (UTC)

Nice to see you going the extra mile to be helpful over at User talk:Mayankmadan[edit]

It saves him from having to ask the question again, and others from having to answer it again. Thanks. :) Leucosticte (talk) 12:38, 23 December 2013 (UTC)

Aww. Mostly just the frustration of seeing my messages lost in ping timeout limbo. :) --Nemo 13:52, 23 December 2013 (UTC)

Process for making decisions on default settings[edit]

I created this page to discuss whether and how to change our methods of deciding what the default settings should be. Since you've been involved in some bugs pertaining to defaults, e.g. bugzilla:45022, I thought you might be able to lend some insight. Thanks, Leucosticte (talk) 10:57, 7 January 2014 (UTC)

Who needs +2[edit]

Yeah, the prospect of getting +2 seems much less alluring in light of the fact that one isn't supposed to merge one's own code. I felt the same way about enwiki adminship; once I found out that it wouldn't allow me to bypass or override community processes and consensuses to get my way, I didn't want it as much anymore. It's useful to be able to view deleted pages, but Deletionpedia (if resurrected in any form) makes it possible for anyone to do that. Leucosticte (talk) 11:14, 7 January 2014 (UTC)

You abuser. :P It's simpler than that, I can bear the "responsibility" of +sysop on any wiki but I don't want anyone to expect me to review changes or fix stuff for this extension just because I technically can approve commits. --Nemo 11:46, 7 January 2014 (UTC)

GCI 2013 Mentor[edit]

Thanks for being an awesome guy and a great Google Code-in 2013 mentor! It was a pleasure working with you. :) Thanks a lot, MegaAlex 19:49, 15 January 2014 (UTC).

VectorBeta[edit]

You created VectorBeta as a redirect to itself, which is useless, so I marked it for speedy deletion. I'm guessing that's not what you meant to do? —SamB (talk) 06:33, 13 February 2014 (UTC)

Thanks, fixed. --Nemo 08:21, 13 February 2014 (UTC)

Translation of category page names[edit]

Hmm.. I still don't get this. Can you give me an example? Helder.wiki 20:34, 19 February 2014 (UTC)

Pages A, A/en, A/it, A/pt are in categories B, B/en, B/it, B/pt. A for everyone, B for everyone. --Nemo 20:39, 19 February 2014 (UTC)

Status updates[edit]

Moved them here for easier following: Evaluating and Improving MediaWiki web API client libraries/Status updates Fhocutt (talk) 00:30, 26 March 2014 (UTC)

Thanks! --Nemo 07:14, 26 March 2014 (UTC)

Gentium[edit]

Your edit on Typography refresh/Font choice‎ has several issues:

  1. The survey has been concluded
  2. Gentium is not sans-serif
  3. Gentium is not a default OS font

So it makes absolutely no sense to include it into the body font survey. Could you please remove it? The page may be visited heavily due to the upcoming change on the English Wikipedia. Edokter (talk) — 20:54, 31 March 2014 (UTC)

No.
  1. Never heard.
  2. Wrong.
  3. Citation needed.
--Nemo 05:43, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
WRONG? Are you sure we are talking about the same font??? Gentium is as serif as they come. And I cannot prove what does not exist; you need to provide an OS where Gentium is included. Edokter (talk) — 10:28, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
You seem to be confused. That's not the standard with which that table was assembled. I raised the sourcing level of that table, feel free to improve further. --Nemo 10:30, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
Apparently I am. I still don't know how Gentium fits any description in that section, and you link it to Andika, which is a completely different font. Just enlighten me, why is Gentium there? Edokter (talk) — 11:11, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
Because it's a broadly used high quality free font designed for many of the languages we have in MediaWiki. --Nemo 11:23, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
Still how does it fit into a font survey for sans-serif body fonts that are installed by default? Edokter (talk) — 13:27, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
See above. --Nemo 13:31, 1 April 2014 (UTC)

Not exactly....[edit]

here's how my filter works:

curl http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiktionary/20140328/enwiktionary-20140328-pages-articles.xml.bz2 | bzcat | ./testFiltr.php

This builds the word lists directly from the compressed dump, and saves them to my hard disk. Currently this only works for en.WT, of course, but this could easily be modified to work with any wiktionary if someone can put in the time to learn their layout. This can be automated via a cron job to process the latest dumps as they become available.

Filtering for other criteria can be added to the processing:

  • 'bad word' lists (possibly by language?)
  • confusables
  • single script

I'll make a modular system for applying those filters at some point, but in order to create them I need to understand how to identify 'good' or 'bad' criteria.

I fell off IRC 'cuz I had to switch networks to my phone to test this run. (The phone company apparently breaks secure connections to Freenode.) - Amgine (talk) 18:36, 1 April 2014 (UTC)

WMF language portal and "advanced grammar"[edit]

Nemo, thanks for your echo. I was just linked to that page by someone while talking with them about machine translation – the future improvement of which I've learnt to be cynical about. I'm first of all puzzled at claims in the portal concerning "advanced grammar" ... and on the other side of the coin, I wonder how relatively simple "rules" for plurals and gender are going to add value to, say, what google translate can already do. And why such a narrow focus is of any practical utility to WMF projects, given the magnitude of the task of producing good machine translation (give it half a century at least, I say). How do I probe the strategies that have led to these claims? I'm not a programmer and it's hard to know how to penetrate the information on that page.

On a related matter, I plan to write a fairly short guide in user space on how to get the best out of google translation: specifically, how to write text in one's native language for basic communication with other Wikimedians that minimises the chance of bad mistranslation. This arises from my recent experience in covering the PotY prizes and needing to communicate with a few of photographers of the top-ranked pictures who don't speak English. Would you be in a position to provide me with some feedback when I've done the draft? Tony (talk) 12:17, 21 April 2014 (UTC)

Hi Tony1, thanks for your interest and copyediting. Grammar, Plural and Gender are just necessary features for MediaWiki's own i18n: they do require a lot of work and as such are handled together with Unicode's CLDR, but they have nothing to do with machine translation. Maybe the page is not clear enough.
As regards machine translation, the Wikimedia Foundation is very well aware that content translation is a very ambitious project (both Google and Microsoft have tried and failed on Wikipedia): I daresay it's likely to fail, but still worth trying. I didn't manage to understand the actual contour of this project either, but I'm quite sure nobody thinks Wikimedia is going to create new m:machine translation services; we're not even sure how we could help existing ones! Discussion is ongoing at Talk:Content translation.
I could be called a rather advanced user of machine translation for crosswiki communication purposes, so I'll gladly read and comment your guide. Your can probably also get feedback from stewards and SWMT folks who work in esoteric languages everyday. :) --Nemo 15:08, 21 April 2014 (UTC)

Compact Personal Bar Rename[edit]

We can't move pages with associated Flow boards at this time because the Flow board doesn't move with it. The team is aware of this, though I'm not sure of a specific bug. I've moved the page back to the original name in order to reconnect the existing discussion.--Jorm (WMF) (talk) 21:15, 23 April 2014 (UTC)

User:Jasper Deng/Cascade[edit]

I have partially reverted your edit because you apparently don't get that I have long used create protection and would have a good reason to use cascading protection instead.--Jasper Deng (talk) 17:26, 31 May 2014 (UTC)

Autoreviewer rights[edit]

Thanks for the confidence. - Fabsouza1 (talk) 14:58, 3 June 2014 (UTC)

Outdated translations[edit]

Hi. Before using "Pywikibot touch script", if a translation unit is outdated, please FUZZY the unit. e.g. Translations:Version lifecycle/10/de, 43/es --Shirayuki (talk) 03:51, 10 June 2014 (UTC)

That's not possible, touch.py only makes null edits. (I used a more descriptive edit summary, but touch.py can't make use of it.) You may want to file a bug against Translate because it doesn't add !!FUZZY!! when (null) editing via API as it does when editing manually. I know this solution was highly imperfect, I asked translations to be refreshed server-side instead: but WMF is not currently working on translation support so I don't have high hopes. --Nemo 06:33, 10 June 2014 (UTC)

Protected pages & translations[edit]

You've cascade-protected How to contribute/Translations, but now pages Translations:How to contribute/22/be-tarask and Translations:How to contribute/26/be-tarask marked as outdated in translations and cannot be translated as the message states: The page you're trying to edit is protected because it's included in a cascade-protected page. Is there any possibility to unprotect them or make them protected only for anonymous users? --Red Winged Duck (talk) 12:12, 8 July 2014 (UTC)

+1. Just came to update Translations:How to contribute/26/cs and was rejected. (Honestly, just reverting this change (modulo replacing the link targets with the variables) would be acceptable.)
I understand the problem, and also that it is impossible to cascade-semi-protect, but the current solution does not seem to work really well… What can we do better? Promoting translators to all languages to sysops? Don’t think that would be accepted. Creating a new user group of translators, protect the Translations namespace, and have every translator request the translator bit? That could work, I guess, but might scare away translations of less-visible (less important) pages…
--Mormegil (talk) 13:26, 8 July 2014 (UTC)
It's indeed a pity that the translations were invalidated merely because of some semi-cosmetic markup changes on a page that should ideally never change; Shirayuki kindly cleaned up most of it weeks ago. I'll unprotect the pages you mention but I'm dubious about removing the protection completely: that was asked at Project:Requests and should be discussed there if you desire a faster expiry (it's set to expire in less than one year from now). --Nemo 14:01, 8 July 2014 (UTC)
Hi, Nemo bis: I was trying to update the Spanish translation and saw this thread. Would it help to add the translate right to translators to avoid this protection issue in the future? Thanks —Fitoschido (talk) 09:39, 27 July 2014 (UTC)
Everyone has translate right here, do you mean removing it from someone? It seems excessive, this page has more problems just because it's the only one linked in the footer of all Wikimedia projects and receives a lot of clueless visitors. --Nemo 10:36, 27 July 2014 (UTC)
Right, my mistake. Well, I guess I’ll wait until the block expires, then. —Fitoschido (talk) 11:33, 27 July 2014 (UTC)

New Email[edit]

Hi there Nemo.

I have sent you an email. If you are just getting this now, it may take a few minutes for the message to be sent into your inbox. Thanks. A2 05:06, 5 August 2014 (UTC)

Re:Invalidating translations for markup changes[edit]

Maybe that's why I'm not using the "Mass migration tools". I apologize for my changes. - Fabsouza1 (talk) 16:21, 9 August 2014 (UTC)

Math[edit]

Hi, I updated the Extension:Math page instead of https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Manual:Enable_TeX&oldid=739264 to de-duplicate content. --Physikerwelt (talk) 21:03, 11 August 2014 (UTC)

Template:Localized link[edit]

Hi! See last update of {{ll}} (documented). See example in Manual:Account_creation/pl (last link is automatically localized). --Kaganer (talk) 21:21, 12 August 2014 (UTC)

New update ;) Used in the Template:Special page. --Kaganer (talk) 16:11, 21 August 2014 (UTC)

Undo User:Lehnertmatthias changes[edit]

Hi,

I'm sure this is not the rigth place to ask fot this, but could you revert this changes and possibly block this user?

https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Huggle/de&action=history

https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Template:PD_Help_Page/core/de&action=history

Everyone can, but YesY Done --Nemo 16:18, 12 October 2014 (UTC)


Could you please do the same with HernanEspinozaV?

Problems with logging on Stargate Wiki[edit]

Hi Nemo bis, I need your help: Stargate wiki Link:http://en.stargate-wiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&returnto=Stargate+Wiki+talk%3AAdministrators is powered by this wiki. I cant create my account because I dont have permission to create accounts and also i cant write to admin talk page because i dont have account on stargate wiki see link. Please Help me. (Matthew Bowyer Fan (talk) 17:25, 12 October 2014 (UTC))

Can't branch MLEB extensions[edit]

I tried to use the revisions you gave, but got the following:

[exec] 'git' 'clone' 'ssh://gerrit.wikimedia.org:29418/mediawiki/extensions/Babel.git' '-b' 'master' 'mediawiki/extensions/Babel'
Cloning into 'mediawiki/extensions/Babel'...
remote: Counting objects: 775, done
remote: Finding sources: 100% (123/123)
remote: Getting sizes: 100% (40/40)
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (2326/2326)
remote: Total 4069 (delta 35), reused 4065 (delta 34)
Receiving objects: 100% (4069/4069), 2.40 MiB | 504.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (2463/2463), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
[cwd] mediawiki/extensions/Babel
Using cached commit for mediawiki/extensions/Babel
... mediawiki/extensions/Babel: Branching REL1_24 at 55058a458d3cb1b49bf4e0db52669aeee8a050f3

[exec] 'git' 'checkout' '-b' 'REL1_24' '55058a458d3cb1b49bf4e0db52669aeee8a050f3'
Switched to a new branch 'REL1_24'
[exec] 'git' 'add' '-f' '.gitreview'
[exec] 'git' 'commit' '-m' 'Creating new REL1_24 branch'
[REL1_24 ee68dd0] Creating new REL1_24 branch
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 .gitreview
[exec] 'git' 'push' 'origin' 'REL1_24:refs/heads/REL1_24'
Counting objects: 3, done.
Delta compression using up to 4 threads.
Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done.
Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 324 bytes | 0 bytes/s, done.
Total 3 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (2/2)
remote: Processing changes: refs: 1, done    
remote: 
remote: ERROR:  In commit 55058a458d3cb1b49bf4e0db52669aeee8a050f3
remote: ERROR:  committer email address kartik.mistry@gmail.com
remote: ERROR:  does not match your user account.
remote: ERROR:
remote: ERROR:  The following addresses are currently registered:
remote: ERROR:    mah@nichework.com
remote: ERROR:    mah@wikimedia.org
remote: ERROR:    mah@everybody.org
remote: ERROR:
remote: ERROR:  To register an email address, please visit:
remote: ERROR:  https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/settings/contact
remote: 
remote: 
To ssh://gerrit.wikimedia.org:29418/mediawiki/extensions/Babel.git
 ! [remote rejected] REL1_24 -> REL1_24 (invalid committer)
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://gerrit.wikimedia.org:29418/mediawiki/extensions/Babel.git'
*** Exit value of 1 in /home/mah-public/wiki/release/make-extension-branches/build/mediawiki/extensions/Babel during ''git' 'push' 'origin' 'REL1_24:refs/heads/REL1_24''

I'll see if I can't fix this by changing he committer and leaving the author as is.

Pywikibot mentoring[edit]

I have (tentatively) added you as a possible mentor for Mentorship programs/Possible projects#Pywikibot, as I see you have done mentoring previous. If you dont have spare time for it, or dont want to do it, could you think of someone else who might be able to help me with those projects? John Vandenberg (talk) 05:24, 18 October 2014 (UTC)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction[edit]

I kind of didn't really know where to start if I wanted to help write/develop MediaWiki, so I pretty much assumed you sign up on the maintainer board (silly me!). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. - Kiwuser (talk) 08:59, 1 November 2014 (UTC)

Reverts on ConfirmEdit[edit]

Moved to Thread:Extension talk:ConfirmEdit/Reverts on ConfirmEdit's QuestyCaptcha

Phabricator (was Bug 41473: Allow creation of revisionless page entries)[edit]

I am registered in Phabricator. bzimport still hasn't assigned my bug edits.

As per https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/:

   If your Bugzilla activity still hasn't been assigned to you, just wait. bzimport is
   processing the data of more than 800 users. Please be patient.

Platonides (talk) 22:36, 21 December 2014 (UTC)

Manual:Parameters to index.php[edit]

I've marked this page for translation, but a message (Unknown error: "titleblacklist-forbidden-edit") is displayed and translations are not possible. What can it be? Do you know this error? - Best regards. - Fabsouza1 (talk) 19:20, 27 December 2014 (UTC)

Ok, I'll try now. Thanks. - Fabsouza1 (talk) 20:10, 27 December 2014 (UTC)
It worked. Many thanks. - Fabsouza1 (talk) 20:14, 27 December 2014 (UTC)

test2wiki[edit]

Hi ! Can you please take a time to see your talk page on test2wiki? --Grind24 (talk) 20:31, 27 December 2014 (UTC)

Manual:Index.php[edit]

Hello, please unblock the page index.php too. Best regards. - Fabsouza1 (talk) 16:20, 28 December 2014 (UTC)

Special:Diff/1339967[edit]

When reverting other users' changes, a notification would be appreciated. Anyway, I don't see anything broken in Extension:ConventionExtension when previewing my older version. Please clarify your action. --Ricordisamoa 17:08, 3 January 2015 (UTC)

I have reinstated my change and will try to catch any issues arising in extension pages. Regards, --Ricordisamoa 12:22, 5 January 2015 (UTC)

Blocked?[edit]

I'm having problems with Special:Translate, Special:PageMigration and Special:PagePreparation. They are not working. Is there some kind of blocking? Could you please verify this for me? PS: I made some IP edits and I was succesful. Thanks. - Fabsouza1 (talk) 13:44, 11 January 2015 (UTC)

Many thanks, one more time. I will test it. - Fabsouza1 (talk) 13:51, 12 January 2015 (UTC)
Special:PagePreparation still doesn't work. - Fabsouza1 (talk) 14:11, 12 January 2015 (UTC)

what is to be done for being wiki developer on voluntary basis[edit]

As you have deleted my username from the list, I think I am not authenticated yet to be on the list, Can you please post me the details to get it on the list and work on the same for development and source code. friend_hey Nitish Java, javaScript, PHP, web server, voluntary support are few of my details. I am registered on below: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/options/mediawiki-enterprise and well versed with both github and SVN. Kindly reply, it is highly appreciated. Thanks. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Friend.hey (talkcontribs) 16:18, 31 January 2015‎ (UTC)

Hi. Please review Developer hub and Developer access on how to contribute code and get acces to Gerrit. -- [[User:Edokter]] {{talk}} 10:05, 1 February 2015 (UTC)

Unblocking pages[edit]

Hi please could you unlock https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Metrolook and https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CollapsibleVector they were locked because my account was blocked and to stop me from editing them it was blocked. Paladox2017 (talk) 19:12, 9 February 2015 (UTC)

I see you already found out you can edit them already. Please stay logged in on this account. --Nemo 08:43, 10 February 2015 (UTC)
Hi but coulden they be unblocked please. I will stay logged in when editing. 151.229.250.233 16:41, 19 February 2015 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Team Barnstar Hires.png The Teamwork Barnstar
I just saw you mentioned in an e-mail message, and I thought you should know about it: "Nemo was a great co-organizer of Google Code-in, setting a precedent that we want to consolidate."

Thanks for your help. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 23:54, 9 February 2015 (UTC)

Thank you! --Nemo 08:38, 10 February 2015 (UTC)

Thanks for fixing ConfirmAccount and pointing to phabricator login![edit]

best G.Hagedorn (talk) 15:28, 17 February 2015 (UTC)

Talk page[edit]

Hi Nemo, do you know why nobody responds to the topics on Talk:SUL finalisation? One of these topics is also in limbo at meta:Talk:Single User Login finalisation announcement#Rename format. Best regards, Bever (talk) 16:18, 20 March 2015 (UTC)

Starting conversion of LiquidThreads to Flow at mediawiki.org[edit]

(Hi Nemo. I know that you already know, so I'm just adding this here for completism, and for any of your page-watchers. :)

Hello. I'm sending this to you, because you've been one of the top 50 users of LQT on mediawiki.org over the last 360 days,[2] and I wanted to make sure that you'd seen the announcement at Starting conversion of LiquidThreads to Flow at mediawiki.org. There are links in the topic-summary at the top, for other discussions (wikitech-l and Project:Current_issues), and a link to the planned process and timeline (scheduled to begin April 6, with smaller conversions at first). Please do test Flow out at Talk:Sandbox if you haven't tried it recently, and give any feedback/suggestions/requests at that main discussion location. Much thanks, Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 23:45, 27 March 2015 (UTC)

Quite funny that out of 50 LQT power users only 7 are using LQT on their own talk page. :) [3] --Nemo 06:33, 28 March 2015 (UTC)
Some time after I enabled it on my talk page I realized it had a few bugs (phab:T28118, and others) which motivated me to disable it again. Helder 02:20, 29 March 2015 (UTC)

Change user name and unblock 2 pages please[edit]

Hi can I ask for you to change my user name please. I would like to change from paladox2017 to paladox please. And please change protection of CollapsibleVector and Metrolook to allow ips to edit again please. 151.229.250.233 19:39, 22 April 2015 (UTC)

Local renames are no longer possible, please see meta:Steward requests/Username changes for a global rename. An unblock seems not possible for now, the page was edited by you (i assume you're Paladox2017) to bypass your block. --Florianschmidtwelzow (talk) 05:44, 18 May 2015 (UTC)

Help for Phabricator[edit]

Ciao Nemo bis. Thank you for your contributions for the help for Phabricator. This discussion may interest you. Can you please have a look at it? Thank you. Cheers! --Nnemo (talk) 20:02, 15 May 2015 (UTC)

Thank you[edit]

Thank you for your kind welcome on my mediawiki discussion page. I appreciate it.

Bfpage (talk) 23:43, 12 June 2015 (UTC)

Wikimedia Product Development/Product Development Process/Draft[edit]

My second edit was to suggest that it was {{outdated}}. Is it possible you assumed that the second edit was a restoration of the {{delete}} tag without checking? Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 10:50, 13 June 2015 (UTC)

Can i request to add language Traditional Chinese (zh-hant)?[edit]

Can i request to add language Traditional Chinese (zh-hant)? I want to translate VisualEditor/Portal into Traditional Chinese, but the message "Translate in zh please." shown. Cwlin0416 (talk) 07:58, 17 July 2015 (UTC)

No, we don't support this; speak with User:Liangent if interested in details. I think everyone would like if the LanguageConverter worked for page translation as well, you could file a feature request. --Nemo 08:18, 17 July 2015 (UTC)

LanguageConverter maybe is a solution, but MediaWiki.org currently not support. All the Chinese pages is Simplified Chinese, as I'm Traditional Chinese user, it is very hard to read, I thinks it's hard to read by other Traditional Chinese users too, especially technical terminology. Thank for your reply, I have filed a request. Cwlin0416 (talk) 09:30, 17 July 2015 (UTC)

{{#translation:}}[edit]

Hi. I don't remember such a syntax. I see that you use it on wikimania2016wiki and it probably works. Where do I read about it? I tried to find something on it but failed :/ --Base (talk) 04:42, 26 July 2015 (UTC)

Hi, thanks for asking; this was implemented last year to supersede {{translation}}: phabricator:T70385. Sadly the project has been quite bad at documentation; I've now documented the feature as is.
A discussion among page translation administrators on how this feature should be used (e.g. if the pre-existing templates should just alias to the parser function) would be very welcome. --Nemo 09:14, 26 July 2015 (UTC)

Article feedback[edit]

(For some reason I cannot get the Flow to work on the article talk page, so am replying here.) I see nothing obvious on this page to indicate that "it's marked as ended" and the introduction and the text speak of it in the present tense. Why should it not be marked as {{historical}}, given that it is, in a way that is immediately apparent to the reader? Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 06:36, 27 July 2015 (UTC)

It should be obvious, sure. However, if the "date ended" information doesn't convey this, we have a bigger problem. I suggest that you work on making Template:Wikimedia_engineering_project_information output something suitable for past projects. Even embedding template:historical automatically may be fine as a start, if you think that's the way. --Nemo 06:40, 27 July 2015 (UTC)
It is indeed true that there is, in a rather reduced font size in an infobox, an indication that the project has ended. This does not seem to me to be "marked as ended", a phrase which to me would imply a noticeable template rather than (literally) small print. If you believe that your preferred version of this article, the text of which clearly states in numerous places that the project is active, statements which are not correct, conveys useful and up-to-date information to the unaware reader, then I have nothing more to say. You seem to be very keen, and surprisingly fast, to revert my attempts to indicate that information presented to the reader is out of date. I don't know why, and I don't care. I leave it up to you to consider whether the article in its present state is more helpful with or without the template. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 20:33, 27 July 2015 (UTC)

Can I make a request for Extension:PageTriage Installation for Hindi and Bhojpuri wiki ?[edit]

Hi Nemo,

I work on bhwiki and hiwiki and a friend user suggested to have Extension:PageTriage on Hindi wikipedia. In order to make a request on phabricator, first, I want to make it sure if it can be installed on these projects or not. Would you please help me know what are the requirements for this and how I can fill bug on phabricator?--सत्यम् मिश्र (talk) 04:29, 28 July 2015 (UTC)

better fix the template[edit]

This justifies reverting an edit resuling in a dead link? Give me a break. You cannot be serious. Why don't you fix the template? --[[kgh]] (talk) 19:00, 11 August 2015 (UTC)

The link works now, as far as I can see. If you're seeing something different, it's useful to know. You already have the good habit to use edit summaries in most cases. Please justify reverts, too, which is where they are most important to avoid silly edit wars. --Nemo 19:09, 11 August 2015 (UTC)
I usually do not justify reverting unjustified reverts. Reverting is there for spam or destructive behaviour on a wiki, at least on the other wikis I work on. Since I do not regard myself being a spammer or somebody who wants to deliberately harm this project I do not understand reverts like the one which triggered this mess. If you think something should be fixed then modify existing content and there will not be an edit war, at least not with me. It's quite simple and from what I have seen you manage quite well. --[[kgh]] (talk) 19:20, 11 August 2015 (UTC)

Your promotions of Eurodyne and Grind24[edit]

You're calling my objections "no big objections"? Well, then you have no business being a bureaucrat on this wiki. Please either request that these promotions be reverted (as a self-revert), or I will start a discussion for you to lose your access here. You should not, either way, be the one promoting because you're the nominator in both cases.--Jasper Deng (talk) 16:20, 6 November 2015 (UTC)

There is no such rule about nominations. Opening a discussion is an act of transparency for flags that might even happen without a discussion. As for your objections, yes they were not big because 1) they were objections of a single person, 2) they didn't mention any specific reason or way the flag would be abused, just generic objections about why you dislike the contributor.
Before starting a big fight that might look like a personal crusade with a cherry-picked target, I suggest that you review recent promotions Special:Log/rights. You are free to propose changes in how flagging works on this wiki, of course. Nemo 16:32, 6 November 2015 (UTC)
Yes there is. You only promote with consensus to do so and when you are not party to the request in question. And also, I don't care how specific you found my objections but they were valid, and you can't ignore them. If you don't agree to that, then I will proceed with opening a discussion to remove your access. On this wiki, even a single oppose, especially by another bureaucrat like me, is generally grounds for either keeping the discussion extended, or closing it as not done. --Jasper Deng (talk) 16:35, 6 November 2015 (UTC)
I'm not a party in any meaningful way and I did not ignore your objections. And no, bureaucrats do not have a veto right. Nemo 16:37, 6 November 2015 (UTC)
Of course you were party to them, you were the nominator (and implicitly, the supporter). And custom here has been that opposes from established community members here cannot be offset by just one or two support !votes.--Jasper Deng (talk) 16:41, 6 November 2015 (UTC)
The custom here is that few people participate in rights discussion and 1 support (e.g. without any discussion) is enough in most cases. If you care about consensus, I suggest that you go after the flags which happened without any discussion at all. As for nominator and flagger, there are multiple examples where the discussion was opened by the same person who flagged, so I suggest to be more careful about your statements on precedents. Nemo 16:43, 6 November 2015 (UTC)
I'm sorry to say, but Jasper Deng has a valid point. There needs to be consensus for at least non-developers to be promoted to this right. There was concern for both of these users with the hat collecting, repeatedly begging other bureaucrats for the sysop right to be added to their account. There was at least one concern on both of these request, alongside not enough input (although maybe it's because some of the devs, other sysops and normal users visited the page, but didn't bother with the requests anyway because of this).
Unfortunately [in my case], there was also not much input, even though there was no apparent concern. I have read throughout the week that recent request were getting declined because there are global sysops and stewards around (although Tiptoety resigned just recently, there is probably still enough).
The sysop right (and those higher than that) should be taken very seriously to make sure it doesn't fall into the wrong hands. I don't want to see damage done to those wikis because I (and everyone else) care about them. Tropicalkitty (talk) 17:23, 6 November 2015 (UTC)
Consensus is not about head count, especially on MediaWiki.org. Don't worry: we're not giving sysop lightly on this wiki, at least when a discussion happens transparently on Project:Requests (as I always prefer). Objections come up very quickly when a proposal is bad, after a week it's rare that new elements pop up. Nemo 17:39, 6 November 2015 (UTC)
Yes, it's not about headcount, rather it's about gaining clear consensus to promote a user. Especially in cases where one of the candidates has failed their RFA here on a number of occasions. The fact was that these RFA's were both closed improperly by the nominator and without the necessary consensus needed to do so. I've already had one of these users ask me on IRC for additional flags just moments after their RFA was closed here, which only demonstrates further that hat collecting is still an ongoing issue. --Az1568 (talk) 07:17, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
Since I was asked to comment here by multiple people, I don't really see a problem with the promotions. Project:Requests is pretty clear, "That said, there aren't really any formal policies on what's required: you just have to convince a bureaucrat. Use common sense―if you're trustworthy and your services are in need, there's no reason not to promote you to administrator at least, but don't ask for administrator without giving a concrete reason". Nemo was convinced, and me seeing less spam in RC is a concrete reason that'll make me happy too <3.
I don't really think "hat collecting" applies here, given that a) Nemo nominated them, and b) they appear to be utilizing their new rights, so it's not just collecting. More help is always appreciated, so you can count me as a post-closure support. Legoktm (talk) 03:11, 8 November 2015 (UTC)

Reː SoloWiki[edit]

Era un vecchio progetto, qualche anno fa mi ero messo a studiare come riscriverlo da capo in modo più sensato, ma non ho mai trovato il tempo per decidere che strada fargli prendere (più leggero vs più funzionale/estendibile). Inoltre devo cambiare il motore id parsing, la libreria che usavo a suo tempo ha perso il supporto per molte API di Mediawiki. Se hai qualche idea, forse riesco a resuscitare il progetto con l'anno nuovo, sempre che riesca a finire quanto sto facendo col lavoro. A margine, git e phabricator sono cose che onestamente mi sembrano più rumore che segnale (concettualmente, non come contenuto). --Baruneju (talk) 02:01, 29 November 2015 (UTC)

Re: Project:Language policy/Migration list[edit]

Ok. You can count on me. - Fabsouza1 (talk) 12:55, 24 December 2015 (UTC)

Editing translatable page[edit]

Hi, thanks for marking the the code as non-translateable. I was generally following the suggestion not to add tags manually and I am wondering about this - is there something I should have done differently?  « Saper // talk »  11:46, 29 December 2015 (UTC)

Translation of Template:Extension[edit]

Hello! I wrote you on my talk page about marking {{Extension}} for translation. Can you see it? --Tacsipacsi (talk) 20:57, 6 January 2016 (UTC)

MW version on template Extension[edit]

Hi Nemo, I believe that there is a general agreement on mw.o that for consistency reasons the lowest still supported version of MW which the extension supports should be added. Is this documented somewhere? Cannot find it right now. Cheers --[[kgh]] (talk) 21:35, 15 January 2016 (UTC)

Perhaps it's not documented explicitly because it's obvious: all the possible information about versions must be added. Nemo 10:51, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
To put it in other words: No, because if the extensions supported MW 1.6 at a time that should be added too?! I always saw this being a part of a well maintained README. Ok, senior moments at my end. I guess I will just stop fiddling around with this part of the docu. Thanks for the info. Cheers --[[kgh]] (talk) 22:14, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
I meant: information about (MediaWiki) versions with the current code. The wiki page is always about master, for good or bad... Nemo 22:19, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
Fair enough, though this makes this information nearly impossible to maintain. This just confirms that I should not fiddle around with this in future. I'd rather leave this to the programmers for good or bad. :) Thanks for clarifying. --[[kgh]] (talk) 22:27, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
Why impossible? What system would be better? Nemo 22:34, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
I definitively will not take the time to assess which version of MW broke compat. One can guess by looking at the code or the bug tracker of the extensions's talk page to make an educated guess. I personally do not care if an extension supports unsupported versions of MW and I think the general audience should not either. I personally want to know if my supported version of MW is supported. If one wants to go back memory lane it's her or his private business. Only a few programmers care to version or even tag their extensions, not to speak of decent READMEs. That's what makes it hard. Anyways I will not touch this in future and wish happy editing to everybody who wants to go on this endeavor. --[[kgh]] (talk) 22:47, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
Frankly, I have no idea what you're talking about. Nemo 21:10, 17 January 2016 (UTC)
Never mind. You answered my question in your second post. All the rest was bla, bla, bla. Cheers --[[kgh]] (talk) 22:27, 17 January 2016 (UTC)

Echo vs Notifications[edit]

Hi Nemo

Renaming Echo into Notifications is done with several good reasons: it is the common name used on quite all wikis or by the development team, and Phabricator tasks and project have been renamed "Notifications". I'm just unifying the name. There is no other product which gather notifications like Notifications does.

For this, the "too generic" point is not really relevant imho. I also disagree with the disambiguation page you've created with Notifications: we can't compare a watchlist with the Notifications feature. Let's call a spade a spade.

Also, I don't understand the second sentence of your edit summary, probably due to a typo.

Best, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 16:07, 19 January 2016 (UTC)

Hello, you don't need to convince me. Open a discussion and gain consensus for moving the page to its former secondary name. Your move didn't mention any rationale, so I supposed you just wanted to get rid of the parenthesis and that's what I did. Nemo 16:10, 19 January 2016 (UTC)

Some baklava for you![edit]

Baklava - Turkish special, 80-ply.JPEG Hii how are you? Tydero (talk) 23:58, 22 January 2016 (UTC)

A kitten for you![edit]

Cucciolo gatto Bibo.jpg

Hii how are you?

Tydero (talk) 00:01, 23 January 2016 (UTC)

Phabricator task for your Flow problem?[edit]

Hi, about "Flow doesn't load in my browser" have you reported the problem in Phabricator or are you aware of any task created? Or do you have more details?--Qgil-WMF (talk) 21:51, 3 February 2016 (UTC)

I uploaded a screenshot, I don't know if something came out of it. I don't have resources for Flow debugging. Nemo 08:35, 4 February 2016 (UTC)

Help Searching[edit]

Nemo, there is this version of Help:CirrusSearch that is fuller, changed and much updated, but it is not translated. Would you help me get it translated? Or could you at least give some assurance that if a future, candidate CirrusSearch help page becomes even more updated, more changed, and even fuller that that might get translated? Cpiral (talk) 07:23, 21 February 2016 (UTC)

Please provide feedback on suggested improvements to the Code of Conduct[edit]

Thanks to everyone who’s helped work on the Code of Conduct so far.

People have brought up issues they feel were missed when working on "Unacceptable behavior" and "Report a problem". Consultants have also suggested changes in these same sections.

These are important sections, so please take a look at the proposed changes. I apologize that this feedback arrived later than planned, but I think this will create a better document.

If you prefer to give your opinion privately, feedback via e-mail is welcome at conduct-discussion@wikimedia.org.

Thanks. Mattflaschen-WMF via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 04:18, 24 February 2016 (UTC)

Template:Extension[edit]

Hi! I’ve changed all pages to use the translated version of {{Extension}}, except two: in User:Ans/Template:Extension (Ans’ test subpage) I can’t figure out where is the template referenced from, and editing User:Bci2 is blocked by AbuseFilter, but as I see, there are plenty of templates broken by not using {{TNT}}. Both of them are inactive since 2012 so I think we can break these two pages. Do you agree? --Tacsipacsi (talk) 15:57, 4 March 2016 (UTC)

Hi! Can you mark Template:Extension for translation? --Tacsipacsi (talk) 20:35, 11 March 2016 (UTC)

@Nemo_bis: Have you noticed my messages? --Tacsipacsi (talk) 16:20, 14 March 2016 (UTC)

#DBA backlog[edit]

Backlog:

An accumulation or buildup, especially of unfilled orders or unfinished work.

This is not a scrum backlog, (what will be done on the next iteration). It is a full backlog, with all things I have reviewed and are ready to start working. This is not a development board, and I do not control the ticket writing- other stakeholders outside of the DBA Team (of size 1) do. The current informal philosophy is to process them in a "priority queue" fashion, by priority or number of people blocked by it. Given the size of the backlog, and the amount of time that I can dedicate to DBA tasks, I usually only do Unbreak now tasks, and a few high (others only when they take minutes to solve).

Now, have people sent me concerns about that specific ticket? Yes. However, I have not checked them yet, so it is still on the backlog column. The priorities are influenced by developers, so I have every week developers from certain extensions reminding me how important their change is, and how I am blocking them, but as there is not a clear owner of core I do not have such a sense of priority. If I was a "client" of a DBA task, I would try to have some high-profile old-time contributors commenting how important and well thought that change is to make it go up on the priority list. Another option to improve that speed is getting more good people to apply for https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/97864 Over the last weeks, priority has been given to failover tasks https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T125673 over other long-term maintenance tasks.

I would like to better communicate estimation, but with 200> tasks pending, some of them multi-weeks of work (like yours) it is impossible to comment estimation on all others, and by the time you estimate them, more have come with greater priority that break all plans. Would a "next" column (pending short-term) help with that? --JCrespo (WMF) (talk) 11:35, 13 March 2016 (UTC)

Re: "high-profile old-time contributor"
You are, but you are only one. I do not have any direction on what is more or less important, I only have feedback from developers (which should be, all together, who end up taking the decision about what has priority). I am infrastructure- I do what I am told. I see some strange things- "a core change not to be applied to all wikis?" That sounds strange, and I need to research it more. And people seem not to be fully aware of the change (because other people are building similar solutions in parallel???). There seems to be ongoing discussions. But it is on the backlog for now, I have not touched since the last time I worked on it.
"It can't possibly be more important than this schema change" It is AFAIK still a feature request, not a bug. But please use the ticket for that, it helps me keep track of things better than on-wiki. Also, you underestimate the number of times the wiki is on fire :-P. Reviewing an applying mediawiki changes is <1% of my work. Updating the tables may also take days or weeks of work (during which no other changes can be applied), and cannot be undone. Please expect to take some time both to prepare and apply it (unless it ca be fragmented in smaller tasks). --JCrespo (WMF) (talk) 10:56, 14 March 2016 (UTC)
I have modified you description, 2 things mainly.
Contacting the DBA: It is ok to ping the DBA, e.g. on IRC, the first time to give background. It is ok if a new DBA arrives and has no idea that that was a pending task. It is ok if you do not receive news on progress in a long time. All things you did correctly. It is not ok to constantly ping him "this is important" (which you didn't do, but your edit could imply). I have more or less good judgment on what is needed first and what is not (much better than developers because I have the full picture or all tasks I have pending). Remember that *I* was the one that started asking about that ticket. Of course, I can make mistakes of that judgment. They proper way to correct that is to contact my manager, and he (and only him) can re-prioritize my tasks. Given that I have been working on the departments goals -increase realiability of the site-, he probably would agree with me. If you do not feel that that is necessary, please stick to the phabricator task and post relevant information, such as approved RFCs where they contain those decisions. I will not meta-talk more about this topic (or talk outside of phabricator).
"Only doing high tasks" is not a policy (so it should not be on the description), it is a mere observation after having an 60-hour work week over 7 days with no vacations + emergencies at 4am. It should change in the future (?), when we hire someone else.
In the time I have been discussing this here, I could have done some more tickets! :-) JCrespo (WMF) (talk) 11:48, 14 March 2016 (UTC)

WMF product development process is not a discussion page[edit]

Hi Nemo bis, please revert these edits. WMF product development process is not a discussion page.--Qgil-WMF (talk) 10:22, 14 March 2016 (UTC)

All wiki pages are a discussion page on meta wikis. As I said, feel free to move my comment to another wikitext (talk) page where you feel people are comfortable reading/replying. I might try myself to find such a page, but not without assurances that my finding will be accepted; in general, however, I'm wary of putting more work into this: if someone decides to apply an experimental system nobody asked for into a discussion, it's their responsibility to handle the consequences. Nemo 11:00, 14 March 2016 (UTC)
"All wiki pages are a discussion page on meta wikis." -- says who? MediaWiki is designed to have content and discussion in different pages, and I am using the functionality of the software as it is intended to be used. "As I said, feel free to move my comment to another wikitext (talk) page where you feel people are comfortable reading/replying." I did so, then you reverted me. I don't think I am doing anything wrong to be reverted.--Qgil-WMF (talk) 13:59, 26 May 2016 (UTC)
It's been like that since wikis has been invented. You can just look around you too. An orphan talk page is not generally considered a talk page. Nemo 14:05, 26 May 2016 (UTC)

Talk:Sandbox[edit]

Talk:Sandbox has been actively used as a Flow sandbox for a long time. Deleting it out of the blue, especially with no discussion, is disruptive and contrary to policy. I have undone this. Mattflaschen-WMF (talk) 01:41, 16 May 2016 (UTC)

Usage of the talk namespace for non-discussion of a non-existing page is contrary to policy. Cleaning up the mess someone did is not. Your message also fails to acknowledge that no testing is impaired by the deletion, as everything can continue as usual in the target page. I think this might have happened because the redirect showed up as a redlink even though the target talk page existed by all practical purposes; I've now fixed that. Nemo 20:56, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
I'm going to restore the old page, and then page-move it, so that the history and old topics are properly attached. Thanks. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 22:46, 16 May 2016 (UTC)

Trying to find the best solution to your special needs on Discussion pages[edit]

Hi Nemo, about [4] and [5]. I'm trying to find the best solution to satisfy your special needs on Discussion pages. I don't think you have any justification to populate content pages with discussions or create redirect from the canonical discussion pages to the ones you create manually. Still, I am trying to adapt to your personal needs, but you keep trying to impose your personal preferences. I don't think what you are doing is fair, and I would expect a better behavior from an administrator of this project. If you are not happy with the regular behavior of discussions in this wiki, please propose an alternative. --Qgil-WMF (talk) 13:39, 26 May 2016 (UTC)

There was no reason to archive my comments: the simple solution is for you to revert that. I'm not sure why you think that keeping comments in namespace 0 is a problem; if the issue is with history messiness, we can keep the comments on a subpage and transclude that, of course.
I have no idea what you mean by "regular behavior of discussions in this wiki", given that no policy exists and no consensus was ever gained for the occupation of talk pages by the latest discussion extension experiment. Users were not involved, hence their opinion is clearly not valued. Nemo 13:46, 26 May 2016 (UTC)
I didn't orphan or archive your page. I moved it to a subpage of the discussion page, and I linked it from the description of the default discussion page. The best I could think in order to preserve the usual workflow and your desire to have discussions in wikitext pages.
RfC pages and others are about discussions, and the community convention is to use them that way. An essay or a content page is like an article, and the community convention is to use discussion pages to discuss the content.--Qgil-WMF (talk) 14:14, 26 May 2016 (UTC)
Summarizing my view on this problem:
  • I don't understand why you go through the trouble of creating a page that then you rename as a Talk page to substitute a Flow page placeholder... all this as a requisite for you to post your comments about a subject.
  • Even if I don't understand this behavior, I am trying to find a way to accommodate to it while keeping the use of discussion pages as they are configured in this wiki.
  • Linking your additional discussion page from the description of the canonical discussion page is the most balanced solution I could come up with. Users visiting the discussion page will see the link, and it is up to them to follow it, watch the page, post their comments there.
  • Your solution of removing a Flow page with a wikitext talk page is disruptive. If someone removes your page to bring back the default behavior, I don't think you have the right to revert those changes.
  • Your solution of adding a Comments section to the main page is disruptive. These are not RfCs, notice boards, or other pages with discussion as their primary goal. If someone removes these Comments sections to bring back the regular separation of content vs discussion, I don't think you have the right to revert those changes.
I have explained my reasons. If you have a problem with the use of Flow in MediaWiki.org, the right thing to do is to discuss it in Current_issues. Please don't revert me again for keeping the intended use of content and discussion pages in this wiki.--Qgil-WMF (talk) 13:37, 30 May 2016 (UTC)
Qgil-WMF, I often find myself seriously considering taking similar steps to get a proper talk page. Eliminating the Talk pages are replacing them with Flow was disruptive. I'm tired of Flow mangling my wikitext, crashing, having to help experienced editors unable to successfully post when they run into Flow, and assorted other headaches. Every single Flow page ever deployed on EnWiki had traffic drop to zero. A modest size discussion turned into an unreadable mess with just a dozen people and a few dozen comments... and the only reason it got that much traffic was because it was the discussion to remove Flow from the page. All but one Flow page has been removed by community consensus, and the one page that does remain only exists because no one has yet bothered opening a discussion to remove it. Several of us have drafted an RFC to completely uninstall the Flow extension from EnWiki, although we had reason to hold off at the time and it's been a low priority since then. I have little doubt that it would get consensus.
It's a bad idea for the WMF staff to live in a pocket alternate universe. Alsee (talk) 15:16, 30 May 2016 (UTC)
Alsee, you are a volunteer in en.wiki and you provide a perspective about Flow in that project. I am a volunteer in ca.wiki, and I could provide a perspective about Flow there, where the trend is very different. It is a good idea to remember that there is more beyond en.wiki, and that different Wikimedia projects may have different perspectives and priorities. What matters in this discussion is whether the use of Flow in MediaWiki.org is aligned with the priorities and perspectives of this community. I think they are, since mw.o tends to have an open attitude to testing, discussing, and improving new software. If you have different opinions about how Flow should be used in mw.o, you can share them at Project:Current_issues.--Qgil-WMF (talk) 08:10, 31 May 2016 (UTC)
...or he can't, because the page was occupied by Flow so that only Flow-compliant users can express opinions. Nemo 08:23, 31 May 2016 (UTC) P.s.: Project:Requests FYI.
Qgil-WMF, Catalan is certainly an interesting case. WMF surveys from a few years ago show that views there tend to be distinctly different from any of the big wikis like English, Commons, and German. I assume it's something other than just size (500-odd active editors at Catalan), but so far I don't think anyone has been able to come up with any explanation. It might be helpful if we could figure out how/why it's different. Alsee (talk) 13:06, 2 June 2016 (UTC)

gomwiki namespace request on Phabricator[edit]

Hello Nemo, I wanted to enquire about this request on Phabricator. It has been pending for nearly three months. Do you know whether it is because of high workload for the Internationalisation team or some other reason? Is there something I can do? Regards, The Discoverer (talk) 06:25, 3 June 2016 (UTC)

You can send a patch on your own, that usually helps. As you know, the normal process is to use translatewiki.net; translations submitted via bug reports typically take from a few months to some years (so it was before translatewiki.net existed, as well). Nemo 06:43, 3 June 2016 (UTC)
Thanks for your reply Nemo. my understanding is that core namespaces cannot be updated from TranslateWiki anymore. I have saved a patch as a text file attached to the Phabricator request. I have never submitted a patch on Gerrit, if that's what you're referring to, but I would like to learn, if you have the time to walk me through it. Should I begin by requesting for an account on Gerrit? The Discoverer (talk) 07:05, 3 June 2016 (UTC)
Yes, please follow the tutorial and let us know if you need more help. Nemo 07:07, 3 June 2016 (UTC)
Ok, I will do that, and get back to you if I need help. Thank you. The Discoverer (talk) 07:26, 3 June 2016 (UTC)
My very first patch: 292777  :) The Discoverer (talk) 06:10, 4 June 2016 (UTC)
Well done! Nemo 11:33, 4 June 2016 (UTC)
Thanks, Nemo! The Discoverer (talk) 19:07, 6 June 2016 (UTC)
Hi Nemo, We got a +1 from Raimond Spekking, but nothing has happened after that. What next?
Second question: Am I expected to +1 my own code? The Discoverer (talk) 10:58, 9 June 2016 (UTC)
A +1 to your own patch is usually considered redundant. Now we can only wait, hoping someone willing to merge sees the patch. Nemo 17:24, 9 June 2016 (UTC)

About invalidating valid translations[edit]

Hi. Could you unfuzzy these invalidated translations? Translatewiki.net/7 --Shirayuki (talk) 14:30, 22 June 2016 (UTC)

Templates[edit]

Hello Nemo, I don't know if this is the correct place to ask help about templates. Please help if you can. Sorry about my bad English.Sinhala Wikipedia is having a little problem with templates. It's with the "Show" and "Hide" buttons. When We click the hide button the template become smaller, but not in the normal way. look this Template:Olympic games/sinhala. Thank you for your concern and support!--Randeerjayasekara (talk) 16:41, 5 July 2016 (UTC)

Extension:AbuseFilter revert[edit]

Regarding your revert at Extension:AbuseFilter on 08:27, 10 July 2016, the edit was made keeping in view of Topic:T23dyyih0ofjada5. What are your thoughts on this? --AhmadF.Cheema (talk) 10:56, 10 July 2016 (UTC)

That discussion doesn't support the idea that anything is wrong with the extension, but it's useful to mention discussions in the edit summary if your edit was informed by them. I suggest that you follow Ciencia Al Poder's advice and continue at the Project:Support desk if you don't know how to reconfigure short URLs. --Nemo 11:12, 10 July 2016 (UTC)
I wasn't suggesting that there is something wrong with the extension itself, but documenting an issue that users have actually experienced and a possible temporary solution for it. I can attest that the issue exists and the workaround provided by User:Ciencia Al Poder works. If some other user comes across the same problem he/she should have the information available on the extension page. --AhmadF.Cheema (talk) 12:06, 10 July 2016 (UTC)
It would be better to place the information on the page about the short URL method that you used, because there is currently no reason to think the error is specific to AbuseFilter. Many other special pages use a similar URL format. --Nemo 12:10, 10 July 2016 (UTC)
I doubt most people even bother to go through the entire Manual:Short URL page. They are likely to first try the much simpler MediaWiki ShortURL Builder and not to even take a look at the entire documentation.
Additionally, users having problems with the Extension:AbuseFilter are likely to go to the extension page and not the Short URL page as they are likely to have no idea that the Short URL could be the problem. Also, at the moment it doesn't appear any other extension is directly or indirectly having problems with the Short URL configuration. --AhmadF.Cheema (talk) 12:34, 10 July 2016 (UTC)
Apologies for disturbing you, but I think I have narrowed down the issue. I can get Extension:AbuseFilter to work with short URL, the problem appears for the redirect rules for HTTPS (or at-least the ones that I am using):
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
RewriteRule (.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI}
Apparenlty, this redirect somehow comes in the way of the filter browsing to the "success" URL (<domain>/w/index.php?title=Special:AbuseFilter/&result=success&changedfilter=1&changeid=18). Any thoughts? --AhmadF.Cheema (talk) 06:56, 11 July 2016 (UTC)

Issue resolved in this edit with reference to Topic:T23dyyih0ofjada5 --AhmadF.Cheema (talk) 16:39, 27 July 2016 (UTC)

Russian fallback language[edit]

Hi. Please don't ignore the Phabricator task and respond to the latest arguments.

You asked for academic sources that disprove the linguistic argument — they are listed in this thread, quote:

Ukrainian-speaking Canadians say they do not understand Russian at all. Therefore inherent Ukrainian-Russian intelligibility may be much lower than as generally thought, and the higher numbers from Ukrainians are due to bilingual learning and heavy exposure to Russian.[6]

You shouldn't forget that Ukrainian wiki-projects are projects in Ukrainian language, not the projects of Ukraine, so the situation in Ukraine itself shouldn't be the only argument to keep the Russian fallback. Besides, Russian-speaking Ukrainians generally don't use Ukrainian Wikipedia and other projects. Another quote:

At any rate, the time depth of the split seems to be approximately the same as between English and Scots. Scots-English MI has been formally tested at 42% in single very limited pilot study. Scots-English MI is similar to the 50% estimates of Ukrainian-Russian MI.

50% is a very low mutual intelligibility, don't you think? Just to compare,

Ukrainian has 75% intelligibility of Belarussian (Mezentseva 2014).

Ukrainian also has good intelligibility of Podlachian and Slovak, possibly 70-75%.

Ukrainian understanding of spoken Bulgarian is not known, but written intelligibility is high, possibly ~60%.

Ukrainian intelligibility of Serbo-Croatian is similar to how well Russians understand that language; it may be ~30%.

Ukrainian intelligibility of Polish is much less than of Russian. It may be ~30%. Written intelligibility is higher at ~50%.

And now you have the community consensus of the largest Ukrainian wiki-community - 67 people took part in the 2015 community discussion and poll with 59 support votes, 7 oppose votes and 1 neutral. And there were not just the users of Ukrainian Wikipedia but users from all the other Ukrainian wiki-projects as well.

You wanted us to translate all the interface messages - we did it. As of today, all 28 454 (100%) MediaWiki messages are translated, and it has been so (99-100%) for a couple of months already. At first we thought it would solve the problem, but the Russian fallback enabled on Wikidata has made the infoboxes in our articles corrupt.

So please, respect the community consensus, take into account all our arguments and devote some time to finally fulfill our long-lasting request. I hope on your understanding. --Piramidion (talk) 19:20, 9 August 2016 (UTC)

Why do you feel a need to tell me that «the situation in Ukraine itself shouldn't be the only argument»? I also don't think I asked to translated all message (though of course that's good) nor to gather consensus. As for the summary of the links, that seems to belong to the talk page you mentioned. Nemo 20:01, 9 August 2016 (UTC)
So the answer is "no" in spite of everything mentioned above?--Piramidion (talk) 21:00, 9 August 2016 (UTC)

Thank you![edit]

Thanks for adding me to autopatrollers!

Cindy

Cindy.cicalese (talk) 17:14, 31 August 2016 (UTC)

Watchlist doesn't show earlier normal edits when hiding bot edits or minor edits[edit]

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T11790

There is a discussion at en:User talk:Sitush#Bender the Bot is driving me daft that mentions this Phabricator bug. You might have some insights to share in the enwiki discussion because I notice you changed the bug priority from Low to High in January 2015. Someone claimed in the discussion that the developers don't want to fix this, but my guess is that it just needs a really well-formed proposal. For example, this suggestion by en:User:Quiddity from November 2015. Thanks, EdJohnston (talk) 18:16, 22 September 2016 (UTC)

Toolserver pages[edit]

I found that you were involved in importing pages from Toolserver. Do you know if there are pages describing policies or guidelines on updating those pages? I'm not sure if my approach would be correct. I'm referring specifically to this edit. I'm wondering if the toolserver namespace redirect should be candidate for (speedy) deletion or not. Mainframe98 (talk) 17:56, 18 November 2016 (UTC)

There isn't any special policy, these pages are treated like all the others. User-Agent policy is an appropriate and interesting topic for MediaWiki.org users, so it was ok to move the page as you did. Nemo 20:52, 18 November 2016 (UTC)

Should migrated Toolserver categories remain as static pages/links, or should they be moved to some category/subcategory scheme? James artindale (talk) 04:43, 22 November 2016 (UTC)

Links are enough to preserve the original content structure without "polluting" the category tree here. However, if some pages are still relevant/interesting and are usefully browsed through their respective category, it's good to convert the links to actual categories and/or update the categories. Nemo 08:21, 22 November 2016 (UTC)

Request for protection[edit]

There is a lot of reverting going on at Project_talk:Sandbox. An IP keeps blanking/vandalizing the page constantly, and we need this stop. Can you go ahead and protect for a few days - week? ---Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 15:58, 25 November 2016 (UTC)

WikipediaExtracts[edit]

Hi, regarding this revert, I was following the checklist for deployment as part of phab:T149766. Did I act too soon? Should I wait until the extension is deployed at the Beta Cluster? Or at some production wiki? Cheers! --Felipe (talk) 12:35, 29 January 2017 (UTC)

Wikistats 2.0 Design Preview[edit]

Hello! Thank you for leaving feedback on the Wikistats - Future per report page. We read it carefully and designed a set of wireframes that reflects your priorities. We're now looking for feedback on the design, and we'd love your input. We have key questions that touch on different sections, and links for feedback here: Request for feedback/Round 1 (if you prefer email, write to milimetric@wikimedia.org and please include "Wikistats Design" in the subject). Please comment by Monday, February 13th so we can include your thoughts and iterate. Thank you very much!

Your Wikistats 2.0 Team, 17:09, 3 February 2017 (UTC)

Wikistats 2.0 Prototype Feedback[edit]

Hello! Thank you for leaving feedback on the Wikistats - Future per report and Feedback/Round 1 pages. We used it to build an interactive prototype of the next version of Wikistats. We're now looking for feedback on the visual design, and we'd love your input. We have some follow-up questions but mostly an open discussion at Request for feedback/Round2 (if you prefer email, write to milimetric@wikimedia.org and please include "Wikistats Design" in the subject). Please comment by Monday, May 1st so we can include your feedback into the first release of Wikistats 2.0. Thank you very much!

Your Wikistats 2.0 Team, -13:38, 20 April 2017 (UTC)

Flagged revs session[edit]

Hi, would you like to participate in making a session regarding the current state and future of the flagged revs?

It could be something like a round table talk with a short presentation of the current situation (who are using it, most common configurations, known issues) and then users from different wikis could tell how they are using the FR (there is a ukwiki admin here, people from dewiki, Samat is a huwiki admin and ORES guy, me from fiwiki etc). If we can get Krinkle to participate too he can comment on how he sees the future from the perspective of vandalism prevention. Milimetric from statistics and Halfaker could be interested in this too. Ideally this wouldn't be a presentation but a discussion. The target would be to map the current state and get some ideas for what to do next. (ORES, patrol flag, FR support in new edit filters are likely targets but how exactly it is unknown)

However my spoken English is so bad that I can't be a good host for this kind of discussion so I need somebody who knows FR to be a leading speaker. Do you want to take that role? I could get the background data and do graphs for the presentations and tell about fiwiki’s experiences and plans.--Zache (talk) 05:48, 19 May 2017 (UTC)