User talk:JCrespo (WMF)
Thanks a lot for https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/1060/#17277. Now that the project is clearly a component of the Wikimedia product, there is much less confusion than when it was a tag. Nemo 14:11, 5 December 2015 (UTC)
Re phabricator:T69223#2028338, it would be useful for the project description to state what "backlog" means in its workboard, so that people know how to interpret such column changes. The common meaning of "backlog" doesn't match what you stated on the report. --Nemo 09:22, 13 March 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks, I'll add this information to the project. Are you trying to say that I'm not "high-profile old-time contributor" enough? I can tell you, that whatever you are doing now, it can't possibly be more important than this schema change, except the cluster migration or an ongoing complete outage. If someone tricked you into thinking otherwise, you should immediately stop trusting their judgement. Nemo 10:18, 14 March 2016 (UTC)
- I'm not only one. There are multiple MediaWiki core developers and maintainers requesting this change in the linked tasks. If you need them to provide their reassurances in other, more formal ways, please specify what methods are preferred. So far I assumed that Phabricator would be sufficient.
- I have no idea what discussions you are talking about. People might be chatting on a task, especially when it seems to be rotting, but that doesn't change the substance which was already provided in the initial description.
- There are no alternative/parallel solutions possible. Being a core feature, no alternatives are possible. MediaWiki core trumps any extension, by definition. If someone has alternative implementations, that's their problem.
- I know that to a new person it might seem strange that we sometimes apply MediaWiki core schema changes only to some wikis, but it's always been this way: I thought this was already documented on wikitech. As you mention there will be new people to onboard soon, and you may still have remembrances of the day when you were still very new, it would be useful to know where you would have used to find this information. I'll gladly expand the documentation where you deem useful; I understand that sometimes we Wikimedia old-timers tend to assume too much.
- I still have no idea why you say that this task is supposed to take so long. I initially proposed to apply the schema change to a wiki which only has a grand total of 1400 pages, where it would probably take a fraction of a second. Nemo 11:10, 14 March 2016 (UTC)
Your feedback matters: Final reminder to take the global Wikimedia survey
(Sorry to write in Engilsh)
- This survey is primarily meant to get feedback on the Wikimedia Foundation's current work, not long-term strategy.
- Legal stuff: No purchase necessary. Must be the age of majority to participate. Sponsored by the Wikimedia Foundation located at 149 New Montgomery, San Francisco, CA, USA, 94105. Ends January 31, 2017. Void where prohibited. Click here for contest rules.