The review queue consists of MediaWiki extensions and other code that must go through the review process before possibly being deployed to Wikimedia wikis. Writing an extension for deployment can be a time-consuming project; any interested party is encouraged to start the process long before any deadline.
To get an extension into the review queue, please file a task in Phabricator. Afterwards, please go to T33235, click "Edit Related Tasks... > Edit Subtasks" and add the task number that you just created before.
To see all extensions awaiting review, the "Task Graph" list in T33235 links to all yet unreviewed/in-progress extensions.
Once an extension has made it through review (including product, design, and security evaluations), then the extension can be scheduled for deployment by the Wikimedia Foundation Release Manager.
- The production deployment tracking task:
- Create a tracking task (see above) for the extension's deployment to Wikimedia wikis. This task should only concern deployment itself, any sub-issues (that block deployment) should be separate tasks that are listed under "Task Graph".
- Create on-wiki documentation
- Create Extension: mediawiki.org page for developers and people who will install or configure the extension.
- Create Help:Extension: mediawiki.org page for end-user documentation. Cross-link it with the above.
- Request a project in Phabricator if none exists yet.
- Get the extension code in Gerrit.
- Show community support/desire for the extension to be deployed, if applicable.
- Request and incorporate feedback the needed reviews:
- After the security review, request deployment to the Beta Cluster (this can aid the other reviews).
- Make sure the extension is automatically branched.
- Request a date/time for deployment.
- "You" (the person or persons driving/requesting this) will need to be online (on IRC) and available during the deployment to respond to any issues that might arise.
- Create user documentation for the extension in the Help: namespace on MediaWiki.org, e.g. Help:VisualEditor/User guide. Screencasts can be useful in explaining how things work.
- Post your idea to the wikitech-l mailing list to get feedback from experienced developers and Wikimedians
- Communicate your ideas/plans to affected wikis to garner both support and suggestions/feedback
- Review queue tracking bug (under "Task Graph")
- Writing an extension for deployment, including how to deploy to Beta.
- Requests for comment – a place for discussion of large project ideas for MediaWiki
- wikitech:How to deploy code#Case 1d: new extension – details of deploying a new extension on the Wikimedia cluster
- Limits to configuration changes