MediaWiki on IRC
The MediaWiki project uses IRC channels (hosted on Libera.Chat) for real-time communication. Here you can ask technical questions, or chat with the developers. IRC is one of our communication channels.
If you're not sure what channel to use, or where to ask a question, ask at #mediawiki. If you're in the wrong place, someone will direct you to the best place to ask your question. Before using #mediawiki for help:
- Make sure you have read the FAQ and have looked at Project:Help.
- Search mediawiki.org, Meta-Wiki, and an Internet search engine for a solution to your problem.
See IRC/Channels on Meta-Wiki for other channels used by the Wikimedia community.
Connecting to IRC
You can join an IRC channel via your web browser, or by installing an IRC application. If you already have an IRC application, then clicking the links above should take you straight to the appropriate channel. To join from your browser, follow the "connect" links instead.
Here are some links that may help:
- Comparison of IRC clients - If you do not have an IRC client installed, then this list should help you find one.
- List of IRC commands - An overview of available IRC commands.
- Check that this is the best method of communication for your particular problem.
- It's okay to idle. You can stay connected or read along without talking. Sometimes you won't get an answer immediately.
- Don't ask to ask. If you have a question - just ask it!
- Provide all the info when asking a question. Feel free to include details right away. Use a pastebin for long error messages and share the link.