Talk:MediaWiki on IRC
IRC Freenode turned out quite strange
Hi, I just logged into the freenode Mediawiki Channel on irc with my mirc client. I saw there's a recommendation to register the nickname on a freenode/yx website. The link didn't redirect to my brower so I typed it manually. I had a typo and what happened next would have been extremely - I repeat extremely - embarrassing if that happened in some kind of presentation. The link was something like freenode/faq.shtml#nickname but I typed "nichname". Then my broser switched to the picture of a nude woman that hat shit all over her face and the browser window startet so move all over my screen so I had to kill the process and lost some data. --18.104.22.168 12:38, 24 June 2011 (UTC)
Help me connect to IRC!
Hey guys, I'm trying to connect to #mediawiki with KVIrc 3.4.0. I've installed it and try to connect with "/server irc://irc.freenode.net/mediawiki" but it does not work. All help appreciated. Smaug 20:49, 30 March 2008 (UTC)
/server irc.freenode.netand then
/join #mediawiki. --Sayuri 20:52, 30 March 2008 (UTC)
/server irc.freenode.netdidn't work. It says,
[18:38:13] Attempting connection to irc.freenode.net (Standalone Servers) on port 6667
[18:38:13] Looking up the server hostname (irc.freenode.net)...
[18:38:13] Server hostname resolved to 22.214.171.124
[18:38:13] Failed to start the connection: Access denied
[18:38:13] Connection attempt failed [irc.freenode.net]
- Could there be some sort of problem with my firewall or something to prevent IRC from working? Smaug 22:40, 30 March 2008 (UTC)
- SOLVED! It turned out to be my firewall (or some setting I had to log in as computer admin to be warned of) after all, and now it seems to be working. Thank you for your response anyway. Smaug 01:29, 31 March 2008 (UTC)
Is it Free?
Out of Curiosity, is IRC free? i mean, i downloaded it, and it asked me to register within 30 day's. If not, it seems kind of against wikimedia's mission to do things for free.....Bud0011 22:53, 3 April 2010 (UTC)
- That's because you downloaded a non-free IRC client. There's a lot of different IRC clients, some are free, some not, a list of various IRC clients is available on Wikipedia. iAlex 06:49, 4 April 2010 (UTC)
Vector skin isnt in the last release of mediawiki
I'm waiting to use this skin in mediawiki on the next version! it would be great!
Moving the CIA bot from #mediawiki to #mediawiki-codereview
The CIA bot will be moved from #mediawiki to #mediawiki-codereview. The commit messages from the CIA bot will be echoed from -codereview to the main channel by codurr, with minor adjustments (namely the addition of a revision link). Lcawte wants confirmation that there's consensus. --MZMcBride 19:39, 16 July 2010 (UTC)
- Seems fine to me. Link will be handy. ^demon 19:40, 16 July 2010 (UTC)
- If it will work smoothly and give us extra possibilities, great. Looks a bit overcomplicated though. Max Semenik 19:42, 16 July 2010 (UTC)
- I'd support this as well --Skizzerz 19:43, 16 July 2010 (UTC)
- Done. --MZMcBride 22:09, 16 July 2010 (UTC)
Number of Articles By User
Is there a Template to get the total number of articles started by a user? -- Vaikoovery 09:52, 10 August 2011 (UTC)
#mediawiki / #wikimedia-dev / #wikimedia-tech
Is it worth reviewing the current descriptions for ? I'm not user myself about their scope nowadays... Also, would it be a good idea to highlight connect in this page as well?--Qgil (talk) 17:23, 4 January 2013 (UTC)
Shouldn't this note the network more prominently?
- It's the 9th word on the first line... and all links go to freenode.net. The main information page is m:IRC if one needs detailed instructions. --Nemo 00:40, 23 December 2013 (UTC)
Running Ubuntu 20.04, access via Freenode at Kiwi IRC #mediawiki. Max duration my connection stays live is about 5 minutes. It is also impossible to click the button to reconnect. Ironically, I must close out the connection (disconnect) and reconnect by logging back in which states I am already logged in. Foreclosurepedia (talk) 14:05, 15 October 2020 (UTC)