Engineering Community Team/Meetings/2012-04-03

From mediawiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TLDR meeting, 3 April 2012

Attending: Mark, Sumana, Guillaume, Chris

List of projects[edit]

  • Project plan for QA testing
  • QA FY 2013 planning
  • Code review meistering
  • 1.19 stuff: deployment & release support
  • Git and Gerrit migration
  • SWIFT deployment support
  • TMH testing
  • Editor Engagement testing
  • Bug Triage
    • Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)
  • Testing infrastructure
  • Bugzilla application management
  • Wikimedia blog maintenance
  • Training documentation
  • Monthly report
  • Communications support
  • Engineering project documentation
  • Recruiting/hiring
  • Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, Berlin, Wikimania)
    • Conferences in general
  • Gerrit project owner groups
  • Recruitment/encouragement
    • GSOC
    • UCOSP
  • Dev community metrics


Who's doing what (this week)[edit]

Chris: Project plan for QA testing, QA fiscal year 2013 planning, testing project for TimedMediaHandler, working with Antoine to get testing infrastructure in place on Labs, testing Editor Engagement software, browser test automation, AFT (misc QA)

  • TODO: Sumana to re-structure QA activity tracking

Mark: 1.19 Deployment support, bug triage, BZ application management, volunteer recruiting & encouragement Guillaume: Monthly report, catching up (done), annual goals, blog maintenance, not sleeping, having allergies RobLa: Recruiting/hiring, 1.19 deployment followup, Git migration Sumana: Volunteer recruiting and encouragement (including GSoC and UCOSP), hackathons and events/conferences in general, engineering project documentation (git), Gerrit project ownership


Project plan for QA testing[edit]

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/QA/testing Chris to talk to Siebrand/Niklas Good framework in place need to keep doc updated

Fiscal Year 2013 planning[edit]

Chris to follow up on making https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/2012-13_Goals#QA_Engineering_and_Continuous_Integration more detailed


Code review meistering[edit]

On hold till we have a fulltime bugmeister ShortURL is Mark's big goal :-)


1.19 stuff: deployment & release support[edit]

last couple of bugs being addressed https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/query.cgi?resolution=---&target_milestone=1.19.0%20release 2 there - Trevor met with Roan & JS people

  • Mark to ping Trevor and the other person.
  • This is Mark's highest priority

Git and Gerrit migration[edit]

Sumana doing some project management here

https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=22596&hide_resolved=0

SWIFT deployment support[edit]

SWIFT is now on Labs! stable for now.

TimedMediaHandler testing[edit]

(still struggling with Labs, this is my top priority now)
Commons-y test case, interdependent with Labs work

Editor Engagement testing[edit]

(following up with Ian on this, haven't heard anything)

Ongoing work adjunct to AFTv5 testing.

Bug Triage[edit]

1.19? for only two bugs? - ok, if only 2 bugs, no 1.19 bug triage. idea: sprint to maybe work on the what's new page, make it more like 1.18's? (Mark's 2nd priority) https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.18 https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.19 Guillaume can help prettify / reword it, but it's the devs who know what's new, so they need to add the raw material to the page

Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)[edit]

Waiting for fulltime bugmeister

Testing infrastructure[edit]

Presented browser test automation prototype, following up with more info to participants. Working on Labs - top priority for Chris.

Bugzilla application management[edit]

Git integration? API doesn't have the stuff in it that Mark wants.... there might be another approach bz package - there is none for Bugzilla 4 (not bugmeister work). Get this puppetized in Labs.

Wikimedia blog maintenance[edit]

Guillaume resuming work on this -- plugin & feature research, follow up on requests, finish the layout rewrite

Training documentation[edit]

Nothing this week Coming up in April: work on ResourceLoader/Gadgets 2.0 docs & security training docs

Monthly report[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2012/March in reasonably good shape; offenders have been spammed (twice)

Communications support[edit]

not much planned this week on this, probably to be resumed next week

Engineering project documentation[edit]

Guillaume updating pages while putting together the monthly report

Recruiting/hiring[edit]

Rob; not in this meeting Sumana should get started on event manager, bugmeister

Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, Berlin, Wikimania)[edit]

Sumana doing general planning, outreach now that Berlin reg form is settled, volunteer sponsorship-wrangling, setting up process for future sponsorship-deciding

Conferences in general[edit]

Sumana should tell Erik and recruiters what we should sponsor.

Gerrit project owner groups[edit]

Sumana needs to start regular ownership-addition procedure

Recruitment/encouragement[edit]

Sumana & Mark continuing to do this. finding people to work on bug squad, need to start producing goals for the squad and having measurable progress towards them (somewhat lower priority)

GSoC[edit]

Proposals are coming in. Sumana needs to do some administrative work re mentors, students, backup admin

UCOSP[edit]

Wiktionary template social engineering held up on friction with the Wiktionary community checked in with Amgine, Tomasz; Tomasz is taking care of it this week

Dev community metrics[edit]

Need to respond to Claudia

Misc[edit]

Chris updated installation docs! php5-mysql was the missing dependency.