Engineering Community Team/Meetings/2012-01-24
24 Jan 2012 Attending: Guillaume, Mark, Sumana, RobLa, Claudia
- 1 List of projects
- 2 Who's doing what
- 3 Wikimedia blog maintenance
- 4 Training documentation
- 5 Monthly report
- 6 Communication support
- 7 AOSA
- 8 Engineering project documentation
- 9 Test deployment
- 10 Code review meistering & 1.19 code review support
- 11 Bug Triage
- 12 1.18 deployment & release support
- 13 Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)
- 14 Bugzilla application management
- 15 Recruiting/hiring
- 16 Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune)
- 17 Commit Access
- 18 UCOSP
- 19 Dev community metrics
- 20 Misc.
List of projects
- Wikimedia blog maintenance
- Training documentation
- Monthly report
- Communication support
- Engineering project documentation
- Code review meistering
- 1.19 code review support
- beta.wmflabs.org launched and showing real problem with 1.19 launch and gadgets.
- 1.19 code review support
- Bug Triage
- 1.18 deployment & release support
- Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)
- Bugzilla application management
- test deployment
- Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune)
- Conferences in general
- Commit Access
- Dev community metrics
Who's doing what
- Sumana: Recruitment/encouragement, hackathon/event prep, commit access, UCOSP, 1.19 deployment support, conferences in general, communication support (git)
- Guillaume: blog maintenance, AOSA, training documentation, engineering project documentation, communications support (inc. SOPA), monthly report
- Mark H - Bugzilla application management, Bug Triage, code review meistering, test deployment (beta.wmflabs.org)
- Rob - Hiring, code review meistering
Wikimedia blog maintenance
Guillaume fixed the theme to support paginated comments after the flood of comments on the SOPA post slowed down the whole blog.
Guillaume did some additional preparation for the hackathon on the gadgets page
- Sumana to take a look and help get feedback from newbies on the talk page
- Sumana to work on API pages
After writing the project documentation how-to guide, Guillaume asked engineering@ to add status updates about their projects to build the monthly report
- Guillaume to send this mail to people not on list (DONE)
Guillaume expanded https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_tech_employee_orientation to include information about the IRC channels, the wikis and the Wikimedia blog
Guillaume is also working on encouraging engineering@ to submit proposals for Wikimania 2012 (probably later today)
- Sumana to chase Chad re git docs, roadmap, blog post.
Guillaume replied to Amy's comments and questions after her review of the chapter (Guillaume write a blog post sometime in Feb)
Engineering project documentation
Guillaume wrote https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/Project_documentation_howto to guide people who are new to the project pages system
- Sumana to publicize appropriately, and to publicize the “how to get involved” on WMFPE page
Mark talked to Petr & is making progress, worked with mdale and erik to get TMH deployed here after 1.19....Working with wiki’s and their gadget work. Mark plans on talking to Oren re search
- Mark to get help from Guillaume re blog post about this -- needs to happen this week
- Need to write up test plans
- Need to send email in response to Krinkle
- RobLa to follow up in some way
- Sumana to communicate to indiv wiki communities re testing on 1.19 deployment test sites
Code review meistering & 1.19 code review support
Mark is now substituting individual discussions for the nagmails sometimes.
- Had a CR meeting yesterday and got a fair number of revs from front end stuff (mood-bar, etc) that we went over. Was also a good chance to get new WMF devs (bsita) into our CR flow.
- Aaron has a ton of code. Will meet with Chad and Ben Hartshorne and Markus Glaser
Mark to follow up, prep for this week’s blocker 1.19 triage
1.18 deployment & release support
Tim deployed the rsvg binary yesterday
Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)
- Mark will look at Highest priority bugs and work with Rob to assign them --- next week
- Mark to coordinate with Rob on that
Bugzilla application management
(private) Hackathon was a good recruiting event Still recruiting for security eng, another analytics engineer
Chris McMahon starts on 31st as new QA lead.
- Team: TODO: anything you wanna get on new employee orientation page!
Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune)
Sumana needs to follow up on Jan,.
Sumana to write a blog post about SF hackathon
Conferences in general
a lot of conferences happen where we probably need to reach out to attendees
maybe sponsoring some of them in the future so we can have a booth/social event or something to recruit people
- mentors & projects finalized; students will be working with Tomasz and the mobile team on a Wiktionary app.
Dev community metrics
on hold basically; (dashboard)
- RobLa to look into whether Heather Walls can help with other TLDR design needs, talk to Sumana about what we need.
- Sumana to talk to Guillaume
- Add status updates for your projects so we can build the January report!
- TL;DR meeting in SF in March? coordinate re roadmap, work in coming months, etc.
- around March 3rd?
(March is not the best time for Mark but he can make it work)