Engineering Community Team/Meetings/2012-01-24

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

24 Jan 2012 Attending: Guillaume, Mark, Sumana, RobLa, Claudia


List of projects[edit]

  • Wikimedia blog maintenance
  • Training documentation
  • Monthly report
  • Communication support
  • Engineering project documentation
  • Code review meistering
    • 1.19 code review support
      • beta.wmflabs.org launched and showing real problem with 1.19 launch and gadgets.
  • Bug Triage
  • 1.18 deployment & release support
    • Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)
  • Bugzilla application management
  • test deployment
  • Recruiting/hiring
  • Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune)
    • Conferences in general
  • Commit Access
  • Recruitment/encouragement
  • UCOSP
  • Dev community metrics


Who's doing what[edit]

  • Sumana: Recruitment/encouragement, hackathon/event prep, commit access, UCOSP, 1.19 deployment support, conferences in general, communication support (git)
  • Guillaume: blog maintenance, AOSA, training documentation, engineering project documentation, communications support (inc. SOPA), monthly report
  • Mark H - Bugzilla application management, Bug Triage, code review meistering, test deployment (beta.wmflabs.org)
  • Rob - Hiring, code review meistering


Wikimedia blog maintenance[edit]

Guillaume fixed the theme to support paginated comments after the flood of comments on the SOPA post slowed down the whole blog.

Training documentation[edit]

Guillaume did some additional preparation for the hackathon on the gadgets page

  • Sumana to take a look and help get feedback from newbies on the talk page
  • Sumana to work on API pages

Monthly report[edit]

After writing the project documentation how-to guide, Guillaume asked engineering@ to add status updates about their projects to build the monthly report

  • Guillaume to send this mail to people not on list (DONE)

Communication support[edit]

Guillaume expanded https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_tech_employee_orientation to include information about the IRC channels, the wikis and the Wikimedia blog

Guillaume is also working on encouraging engineering@ to submit proposals for Wikimania 2012 (probably later today)

  • Sumana to chase Chad re git docs, roadmap, blog post.

AOSA[edit]

Guillaume replied to Amy's comments and questions after her review of the chapter (Guillaume write a blog post sometime in Feb)

Engineering project documentation[edit]

Guillaume wrote https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/Project_documentation_howto to guide people who are new to the project pages system

  • Sumana to publicize appropriately, and to publicize the “how to get involved” on WMFPE page


Test deployment[edit]

Mark talked to Petr & is making progress, worked with mdale and erik to get TMH deployed here after 1.19....Working with wiki’s and their gadget work. Mark plans on talking to Oren re search


  • Mark to get help from Guillaume re blog post about this -- needs to happen this week
  • Need to write up test plans
  • Need to send email in response to Krinkle
  • RobLa to follow up in some way
  • Sumana to communicate to indiv wiki communities re testing on 1.19 deployment test sites

Code review meistering & 1.19 code review support[edit]

Mark is now substituting individual discussions for the nagmails sometimes.

  • Had a CR meeting yesterday and got a fair number of revs from front end stuff (mood-bar, etc) that we went over. Was also a good chance to get new WMF devs (bsita) into our CR flow.
  • Aaron has a ton of code. Will meet with Chad and Ben Hartshorne and Markus Glaser

Bug Triage[edit]

Mark to follow up, prep for this week’s blocker 1.19 triage

1.18 deployment & release support[edit]

Tim deployed the rsvg binary yesterday

Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)[edit]

  • Mark will look at Highest priority bugs and work with Rob to assign them --- next week
  • Mark to coordinate with Rob on that

Bugzilla application management[edit]

N/A

Recruiting/hiring[edit]

(private) Hackathon was a good recruiting event Still recruiting for security eng, another analytics engineer

Chris McMahon starts on 31st as new QA lead.

  • Team: TODO: anything you wanna get on new employee orientation page!

Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune)[edit]

Sumana needs to follow up on Jan,.

Sumana to write a blog post about SF hackathon

Conferences in general[edit]

a lot of conferences happen where we probably need to reach out to attendees

maybe sponsoring some of them in the future so we can have a booth/social event or something to recruit people

Commit Access[edit]

Humming along


UCOSP[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/UCOSP_Spring_2012

  • mentors & projects finalized; students will be working with Tomasz and the mobile team on a Wiktionary app.

Dev community metrics[edit]

on hold basically; (dashboard)

Misc.[edit]

Last week:

  • RobLa to look into whether Heather Walls can help with other TLDR design needs, talk to Sumana about what we need.
    • Sumana to talk to Guillaume

This week:

(March is not the best time for Mark but he can make it work)