Engineering Community Team/Meetings/2012-04-17

From mediawiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TLDR meeting, 17 April 2012

Attending: Mark, Sumana, Guillaume, Chris

List of projects[edit]

  • Testing infrastructure/automation
  • Feature testing efforts
  • 20% time wrangling
  • 1.19 stuff: deployment & release support
  • 1.20 deployment
  • Git and Gerrit migration
  • Bug Triage
  • Bugzilla application management
  • Wikimedia blog maintenance
  • Training documentation
  • Monthly report
  • Communications support
  • Engineering activity documentation
  • Recruiting/hiring
  • Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, Berlin, Wikimania)
    • Conferences in general
  • Gerrit project owner groups
  • Recruitment/encouragement
    • GSOC
    • UCOSP
  • Dev community metrics


Who's doing what (this week)[edit]

Chris: Testing infrastructure/automation, feature testing efforts, Wiktionary app testing, 1.20 testing, WTA planning for May 5, SF visit for test env. Mark: 1.20 Deployment support, bug triage, BZ application management, volunteer recruitment/encouragement (bug squad) Guillaume: Communications support, engineering activity documentation, blog maintenance RobLa: Recruiting/hiring, 1.19 deployment followup, Git migration Sumana: Volunteer recruiting and encouragement (including GSoC and UCOSP), hackathons and events/conferences in general, Gerrit project ownership, 20% time wrangling Claudia: analysis bug database (esp. patch submissions), checking data validity


Testing infrastructure/automation[edit]

Presented browser test automation prototype, following up with more info to participants. Working on Labs - top priority for Chris. Visiting SF May 7-12 to work on Labs as test env.

Continue working with Labs in greater detail: test data and ongoing maintenance are key. Clarified status on activity page https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/QA/testing

Nag in a month for blog post.

Feature testing efforts[edit]

1.20 deployment, had my first volunteer stranger ask in IRC to test, had Feature Test Charters all ready to go.

TimedMediaHandler, Editor Engagement (AFTv5), Tauhida joining(?) TMH testing, brought her up to speed on current situation including BZ issues

Chris getting into mobile stuff this week. Testing Wikitionary app was fun. Chris shadowed Yuvi during beta cycle may be able to take over in next cycle, or help

20% time wrangling[edit]

Sumana

  • Mark will push for ShortURL (failed to do this last week, will bump it up this week if no major issues pop up with 1.20)


1.19 tarball[edit]

last bug being addressed

34885 - [Regression] RTL with IE-7 (or IE 8/9 in "compatability mode") does not show any toolbar

Rob writes on 4/11: Trevor, Timo and Roan will make one more attempt at solving this.

1.20 deployment[edit]

So far no major issues, but only MW.o and commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:VP#1.20wmf1_deployment_complete

Communications work done by Guillaume last week: https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Report:Guillaume/2012-04-15#MediaWiki_1.20wmf1_deployment

Git and Gerrit migration[edit]

  • Sumana to try to get Chad to take on reorg, use G as resource to restructure pages/info


Bug Triage[edit]

following up on dataleak bugs Rob followed up on this. Probably on hiatus until we have a fulltime bug wrangler

Bugzilla application management[edit]

Git integration? API doesn't have the stuff in it that Mark wants.... there might be another approach bz package - there is none for Bugzilla 4 (not bugmeister work). Get this puppetized in Labs. Just put it on the bz-dev server last night, going to work on puppet today. puppet work was neglected wants to get to it

Wikimedia blog maintenance[edit]

Worked resumed but had to be put on hold again last week due to 1.20 deployment communications

Work resumed again this week: testing plugins, modifying the theme, etc. Details at https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Report:Guillaume/2012-04-22#Blog_maintenance

Also started the process to move the code to the Wikimedia repo; waiting on Chad, but I can continue to work on github as usual in the meantime

Training documentation[edit]

Need to work on Git docs - asking Guillaume for help... later (via Chad)

Coming up in April & May: work on ResourceLoader/Gadgets 2.0 docs & security training docs

Monthly report[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2012/March is out, thanks. Please keep adding status updates for this month.

Communications support[edit]

side activity: Guillaume preparing howto for Andrew White to switch the staff IRC channel to private: done https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/wmfstaff_access

Engineering activity documentation[edit]

Draft specs for status helper: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_engineering_project_documentation/Status_helper

  • TODO: Sumana to followup - checkin with Rob, maybe get someone to do this in Berlin

Tons of other small fixes: https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Report:Guillaume/2012-04-22#Engineering_project_documentation_.26_Reports

Recruiting/hiring[edit]

Rob; not in this meeting Sumana has gotten started on bug wrangler, some contract help for the next few months

Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, Berlin, Wikimania)[edit]

Sumana doing general planning, outreach now that Berlin reg form is settled, volunteer sponsorship-wrangling Chris with Weekend Testers - May 5 project with Weekend Testers should be pretty high profile. Plans are on Chris's talk page - there will be a page to link to on May 1st. Chris will be at a conferenceat that time

Conferences in general[edit]

Sumana should tell Erik and recruiters what we should sponsor. doing today!

Gerrit project owner groups[edit]

Sumana doing regularly

Recruitment/encouragement[edit]

Sumana running developer access queue Sumana & Mark continuing to do this. Mark: finding people to work on bug squad, need to start producing goals for the squad and having measurable progress towards them (somewhat lower priority)

  • Mark to chat with Chris


GSoC[edit]

Proposals finished. Sumana running evaluation process

UCOSP[edit]

  • Sumana: End of term -- need to run quick postmortem

Dev community metrics[edit]

- working on checking the validity of the bug database (created from data provided by Mark) - still differences in result set from database and the bugzilla api, a lot of preparation stuff such as setting up postgresConnection in R - papers collected and partially reviewed but not documented yet - to summarize: did a lot of useful but not very successful (showable) stuff - hope there will be better/more news next week


Misc[edit]

  • Chris - Might be in SF week of May 7 for heavy Labs work.
  • Sumana to be in SF this month - Apr 18 - 25
  • Guillaume: vacation 16-18 May