Engineering Community Team/Meetings/2014-02-11

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

ECT IRC meeting at 17:00 UTC via #wikimedia-office connect. See the minutes

Topics:

Meeting started by sumanah at 17:03:51 UTC. The full logs are available at https://tools.wmflabs.org/meetbot/wikimedia-office/2014/wikimedia-office.2014-02-11-17.03.log.html .


Meeting summary[edit]

  • Project management tools review is an ongoing project to find out which requirements our development teams have for project management. Our current landscape is pretty heterogenous so guillom and I work on finding out which specific tasks teams want to be able to do (andre__, 17:04:27)
  • Latest news: guillom was so awesome to summarize the feedback and come up with categories on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project_management_tools/Review/Requirements . This now needs another iteration and consolidating more - andre__ is currently working on that (andre__, 17:04:44)
  • The next step after this will be to start eliminating some candidate tools by comparing to the most important requirements (andre__, 17:04:54)
  • Then we will focus on the few remaining viable candidates and check them against way more of the wished requirements. (andre__, 17:05:07)
  • If you want to follow this work: We regularly update the status at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project_management_tools/Review#Status (andre__, 17:05:19)
  • Anyone is invited to help with the consolidation/summarizing, and later with the analysis of candidates (guillom, 17:05:37)
  • <andre__> the currently only have the rough criteria here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project_management_tools/Review/Requirements - there's no rating yet which requirements are more important than others, but I guess "how many people mentioned this" might be one obvious one (sumanah, 17:12:21)
  • as guillom did for the Multimedia usability initiative, we gathered information by asking people to fill out on-wiki form, very free-form but also guided and with examples to minimize the effort required (sumanah, 17:12:48)
  • 17 people filed out the questionnaire, see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Project_management_tools/Review (andre__, 17:13:44)
  • ACTION: how about andre starts but if he runs into any obstacles at all then I'm happy to start by giving advice, and then we'll naturally see whether it makes sense for me to actually jump in and start configuring and messing with things (sumanah, 17:16:10)
  • Later tomorrow (Wednesday, Feb12) Daniel Zahn, Sean Pringle and I plan to finally move Bugzilla to a new data center and upgrade its software version from 4.2 to 4.4 (andre__, 17:18:00)
  • What we will get out from this is described in https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49597#c12 so I won't repeat here :) (andre__, 17:18:30)
  • I hereby praise Andre for writing a blog post about the process of puppetizing, upgrading, etc (sumanah, 17:20:54)
  • in BZ 5.0 there will be the ability to hide an email address by using a username. we can't wait. even though we have to wait about 10 months (sumanah, 17:22:20)
  • in March or April, Andre plans to play with an extension to fix https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37105 - one thing at a time to ID regressions (sumanah, 17:25:36)
  • <andre__> drdee: also, regarding that ComponentWatching extension (which is a bmo extension but not upstream): I tested with 4.2 but ran into DB issues (see https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37105#c11 ) and I'll need to wait for bmo to upgrade to 4.4 so they also update the extension code (sumanah, 17:29:16)
  • Andre says: "I talked to two bz/bmo upstream maintainers at a Mozilla conference in November in person and told them our biggest issues in the Wikimedia community" (sumanah, 17:29:25)
  • upstream BZ plans https://wiki.mozilla.org/BMO/Roadmap_2014 - "I'm especially happy seeing them pushing bmo customisations (that we use or want to use) into upstream code so there's better support / maintenance for them" (sumanah, 17:29:53)
  • We finalized the Bugzilla etiquette at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bug_management/Bugzilla_Etiquette after the (long) community discussion on its Talk page went rather silent (implying agreement / acceptance?) :) (andre__, 17:30:36)
  • It is supposed to help everybody understand how things in Bugzilla work well, and to avoid misunderstandings and wrong expectations. (andre__, 17:31:00)
  • we generally congratulate Andre on leading this discussion to an agreement (sumanah, 17:34:49)
  • ACTION: around September, andre__ to revisit whether the etiquette guidelines help(ed), consider revisions (sumanah, 17:35:14)
  • RFC coordination (sumanah, 17:35:41)
    • https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_meetings/RFC_review_2014-02-14 is coming up on the 14th (Friday) at 1300 UTC (sumanah, 17:35:59)
    • in this week's meeting we'll mainly concentrate on TitleValue but we may also talk about other RFCs (sumanah, 17:36:18)
    • scheduling is annoying when our architects and the people who want to discuss the relevant RFC are in Australia, California, the US East Coast, Germany, etc. :( (sumanah, 17:36:51)
    • ACTION: this week I, sumanah , need to help shepherd the HTML Formatting/Templating working group to get some more criteria written up for their RFC (sumanah, 17:37:36)
    • ACTION: sumanah also needs to help brion get the next bout of architecture guideline improvement going (sumanah, 17:38:12)
    • ACTION: ensure that future RFC review meeting reminders go out several days in advance - sumanah (sumanah, 17:43:13)
    • the notes from https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014 are nearly all cleaned up except I see that other people actually duplicatedsomething (sumanah, 17:44:03)
    • ACTION: unify the two sets of notes from https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Architecture_Summit_2014/Storage_services (sumanah, 17:44:25)
  • OPW (sumanah, 17:44:42)
    • the mentors for OPW don't need anything right now from ECT (or will contact sumanah outside of the meeting) :) (sumanah, 17:47:06)
  • tech news and ambassadors (sumanah, 17:48:46)
    • We're now routinely advertising tech news on social media channels to increase visibility and, we hope, readership (guillom, 17:50:10)
    • Those channels are: MediaWiki on twitter, facebook and Google+ (guillom, 17:50:39)
    • ACTION: rdwrer will try to write a Twitter-to-Identi.ca syndication script this weekend (sumanah, 17:54:34)
    • if rdwrer shows up on Monday and doesn't have it, sumanah is willing to give it a shot :) (sumanah, 17:54:55)
    • Also, I've has started to create user boxes, as previously discussed, both to increase visibility and to increase volunteer engagement (guillom, 17:56:55)
    • they're currently on enwp w:Template:User wikipedia/Tech ambassador, w:Template:User wikipedia/Tech news (guillom, 17:57:25)
    • and meta: m:Template:User tech ambassador (created independently following a separate discussion), m:Template:User tech news translator, m:Template:User tech news (guillom, 17:57:39)
    • It's funny that a volunteer requested user boxes independently of our discussiom, and another made one (guillom, 17:58:24)
    • the user boxes are now advertised on m:Tech/Ambassadors and m:Tech/News, and I'll send an email to the list when I've copied them to a few more wikis (guillom, 17:59:06)


Meeting ended at 18:01:19 UTC.


Action items[edit]

  • how about andre starts but if he runs into any obstacles at all then I'm happy to start by giving advice, and then we'll naturally see whether it makes sense for me to actually jump in and start configuring and messing with things
  • around September, andre__ to revisit whether the etiquette guidelines help(ed), consider revisions
  • this week I, sumanah , need to help shepherd the HTML Formatting/Templating working group to get some more criteria written up for their RFC
  • sumanah also needs to help brion get the next bout of architecture guideline improvement going
  • ensure that future RFC review meeting reminders go out several days in advance - sumanah
  • unify the two sets of notes from https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Architecture_Summit_2014/Storage_services
  • rdwrer will try to write a Twitter-to-Identi.ca syndication script this weekend


Action items, by person[edit]

  • andre__
    • around September, andre__ to revisit whether the etiquette guidelines help(ed), consider revisions
  • rdwrer
    • rdwrer will try to write a Twitter-to-Identi.ca syndication script this weekend
  • sumanah
    • this week I, sumanah , need to help shepherd the HTML Formatting/Templating working group to get some more criteria written up for their RFC
    • sumanah also needs to help brion get the next bout of architecture guideline improvement going
    • ensure that future RFC review meeting reminders go out several days in advance - sumanah
  • **UNASSIGNED**

People present (lines said)[edit]

  • sumanah (88)
  • guillom (65)
  • andre__ (58)
  • yurik (7)
  • rdwrer (7)
  • drdee (4)
  • wm-labs-meetbot (3)
  • YuviPanda (3)
  • legoktm (3)