Engineering Community Team/Meetings/2012-03-13

From mediawiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TLDR meeting, 13 March 2012

Attending: Guillaume, Mark, Sumana, Chris McMahon, RobLa


List of projects[edit]

  • QA FY 2013 planning
  • Code review meistering
  • 1.19 stuff: deployment & release support
  • Git and Gerrit migration
  • SWIFT deployment support
  • TMH testing
  • Editor Engagement testing
  • Bug Triage
    • Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)
  • Testing infrastructure
  • Bugzilla application management
  • Wikimedia blog maintenance
  • Training documentation
  • Monthly report
  • Communications support
  • Engineering project documentation
  • Recruiting/hiring
  • Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, Berlin, Wikimania)
    • Conferences in general
  • Commit Access
  • Recruitment/encouragement
    • GSOC
    • UCOSP
  • Dev community metrics


Who's doing what (this week)[edit]

Chris: QA fiscal year 2013 planning, testing project for TimedMediaHandler, working with Antoine to get testing infrastructure in place on Labs, testing Editor Engagement software Mark: 1.19 Deployment support, bug triage Guillaume: communications support, engineering project documentation, staff photos, meetings meetings meetings RobLa: Recruiting/hiring, 1.19 deployment followup, Git migration, Budget, meetings meetings meetings Sumana: Commit access, volunteer recruiting and encouragement (including GSoC and UCOSP), hackathons and events/conferences in general, engineering project documentation (git)


Fiscal Year 2013 planning[edit]

Rob, Sumana, Chris have to have prelim plans by 20 March

Code review meistering[edit]

Mark coordinating with RobLa.

Slush is still in effect -- we want people to arrange reviewers before they push anything that’s not a little bugfix. Reviewers, please revert anything that isn’t.

Any news?


1.19 stuff: deployment & release support[edit]

  • Beta/Alpha out - some new bugs found!
    • saper has been looking at pg bugs and fixing them :)
  • Triage scheduled and announced with 18 regressions
  • Will make a complete list of people identified as gadget contributors on enwiki and commons at least.

Git and Gerrit migration[edit]

We have the opportunity to do more training. Set expectations: March-April: more training, productivity hit

top priority for sumana chasing a bunch of work

Antoine (really dedicated to that this week)

  • working on the workflow, specifically for the i18n team
  • working on test integration

Ryan Lane:

  • make sure the project owner groups are right
  • make sure the repository browser (gitweb) gives user what they need

no time to hold tutorials this week; if people want to do one, they should be encouraged to do it

Chad is out this week

https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=22596&hide_resolved=0

SWIFT deployment support[edit]

Trying to move to Swift originals at end of May, effort soon (this month) to test it on deployment infrastructure

TimedMediaHandler testing[edit]

Dev is complete, extension is available on Commons Lab, there's a bit of a test plan

Editor Engagement testing[edit]

Chris met with Fabrice et al., figuring out stuff. There are features in various states of progress being tracked in lots of different docs.

Bug Triage[edit]

Tomorrow! 18 regressions.

Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)[edit]

Mark had several meetings, >6 last week, with devs, figuring out what they were working on & could help with.

Testing infrastructure[edit]

Emulation wikis on Commons - updating of wikis to new versions, undocumented ad hoc process. Chris aims to get that standardized, and aims to eventually make those the standard testing env for staff, volunteers, & Chris http://labs.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:SiteMatrix

Beta Labs!

Bugzilla application management[edit]

Mark has an RT ticket to get himself shell access.

Wikimedia blog maintenance[edit]

The skin rewrite is on hold for now; not time-critical, and Guillaume is using his time in SF for work that requires more interaction; will be resumed in early April (after vacation, and March report)

Training documentation[edit]

Nothing this week

We need to improve our installation instructions for MediaWiki. explain dependencies, order, why apt-get MW isn't a good idea, etc. (there's a nice doc about installing 1.16)

  • TODO: Chris says he will actually do this! -- less urgent

Monthly report[edit]

February is done, thanks! Please continue to add updates for your work as regularly as possible.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2012/March

Communications support[edit]

Guillaume having meetings with the Social Media team, the communications team, etc.

Wikimania common submission writing sprint later today

Engineering project documentation[edit]

Guillaume:

  • updating project pages
  • creating / organizing / updating Mobile project pages with Phil after meeting with Phil & Tomasz
  • adding some more red links automation to the templates
  • discussion about merging wikis & consolidating project doc on wikitech 2.0

(There were pages we didn't know about! Now we can just standardize & facilitate that.)

Recruiting/hiring[edit]

Rob? (private)

Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, Berlin, Wikimania)[edit]

Sumana doing general planning

Conferences in general[edit]

Sumana continuing to reach out and help arrange talks at upcoming events. March 16 & 18 deadlines!

Commit Access[edit]

Extra-long meeting last week to discuss how to deal with project ownership additions, changes, and removals in the new Git/Gerrit future

Recruitment/encouragement[edit]

Sumana continuing to do this.

GSoC[edit]

Waiting for approval. Varnent backup org admin

UCOSP[edit]

Wiktionary template social engineering held up on friction with the Wiktionary community

Dev community metrics[edit]

On hold, waiting for Claudia to do some Bugzilla-related stuff in March

Misc[edit]

  • Rob out-of-office week of Mar 26
  • Guillaume: vacation / travel March 15th–25th

Talking about merging labsconsole & wikitech, and centralizing engineering project documentation -- later today in TL;DR strategy meeting