Engineering Community Team/Meetings/2012-02-07
Attending: Guillaume, Mark, Sumana, RobLa, Claudia, Chris McMahon
List of projects
- Wikimedia blog maintenance
- Training documentation
- Monthly report
- Communication support
- Engineering project documentation
- Code review meistering
- 1.19 code review support
- 1.19 deployment & release support
- Test deployment
- Bug Triage
- 1.18 deployment & release support
- Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)
- Bugzilla application management
- Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, GLAMCamp)
- Conferences in general
- Commit Access
- Dev community metrics
Who's doing what
- Sumana: Recruitment/encouragement, hackathon/event prep and followup, commit access, UCOSP, conferences in general,
communication support (git), GSoC
- Guillaume: monthly report, engineering project documentation, communications support, blog maintenance, incl. 1.19 deployment
- Mark H - Bugzilla application management, Bug Triage, code review meistering
- Chris M. - QA rampup! 1.19 release and deployment support
- Rob - Hiring, code review meistering, 1.19 deployment support
Wikimedia blog maintenance
- not much happened last week; Discussed blog analytics with Matthew; will hopefully start working on blog maintenance again later
this week, otherwise next week
There’s new raw material from the SF hackathon. Work on hold last week due to monthly report. Reassessment after Pune hackathon meeting …
(Sumana to discuss, in meeting, what training docs we need. Lua, ResourceLoader2, and new Gadgets...)
Definitely needed by late May
In future, get help from volunteers to process raw materials -- Lee Worden
- Sumana to do this! -- next week?
- did a lot of nagging (sigh) and a lot of discussing processes with engineering management & product team. A lot of the time that
was freed up the week before by the crowdsourcing of the report was just spent later because some people didn’t do their part.
- the report is now finished, awaiting final review by engineering@ : https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/
2012/January publication tomorrow
- wrote & published Open Advice blog post
- inherited 1.19 deployment comms from Sumana; started catching up on sumanaspam today, will consolidate on the wiki page later
today. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.19/Roadmap#Communications may include blog post on blog.wikimedia.org
- tewiki said they will want to centralize the gadgets.
- considering a CentralNotice campaign to reach out to logged-in users of small wikis & encourage them to upgrade gadgets to be
compatible with ResourceLoader
- Sumana: still no SF hackathon blog post. Can Guillaume help? Sumana has written it! (is writing it)
Sumana redid git docs and roadmap last week. Sumana this week chasing Chad re blog post.
Engineering project documentation
- usual perennial maintenance of the project pages
- team hubs now use a unique template to pull information from project pages, whether they exist or not (this will simplify
Mark has handed off most of this work to Sam Reed.
More problem reports that need to be addressed. Mark will do this today. http://labs.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/ Problem_reports Mark to work with Sam to see that any configuration issues will be fixed.
Code review meistering & 1.19 code review support
RobLa has set up daily 15-min meetings with people who have 20% time that day or the next day, to coordinate CR efforts.
MWCore meeting - reduced the # of FIXMEs yesterday by perhaps ½ ! And there is nothing insurmountable in the current FIXME list.
Still on track to first deployment to test2 on 13 Feb
1.19 deployment/release work (testing etc.)
Chris found 4 diff smoke tests, acceptance tests, etc. coalesced those into 1 set of checks for 1.19 features. Simple statements. Chris will learn a lot by doing them.
Chris McMahon -- Last week, his focus: figuring out how he can contribute on 1.19
Mark: None planned, need to focus on getting the 1.19 blockers assigned and fixed.
Mark aims to catch DKinzler on IRC
RobLa: let’s have a 1.19 blocker triage. Mark: OK.
- TODO - Mark to run that triage.
Sumana - to check - Blocker bugs mostly have the JS keyword. * Sumana to keep an eye out for volunteers who can help with this
1.18 deployment & release support
SWIFT - deployed. Any issues? there was a minor site outage, people couldn’t edit. Turned out to be a secondary issue, not SWIFT itself. 2nd deployment Monday went well - deployed to only 1 of 256 shards. Today bigger day, 20% of the shards. Idea: 100% by Thursday.
- TODO Mark is going to check with commons admins today, nothing immediately obvious on Village Pump
Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)
Mark regularly looking at Highest priority bugs and work with Rob to assign them
Bugzilla application management
“Mark to talk to CT Woo today” from last week -- CT said he would work with someone in Ops to get public data into wmflabs.org
-- public Bugzilla data ….
Aim: make it possible to have a public instance, a database that people can access on labs or toolserver, to let people access bz data via database instead of just the web. More flexiblity. raw database queries... need to sanitize bz data to keep private stuff private.
This is not a high priority.
Still recruiting for security eng & backend eng & others https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Job_openings
Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, GLAMCamp)
Sumana needs to follow up on Jan. event. SO MUCH FOLLOWUP.
- Sumana to write a blog post about SF hackathon -- publishing today! Link to https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/
- Sumana to coordinate travel to WMF events for Neil, Romy, & Judy
- Sumana to cleanup, post somewhere SF hackathon postmortem
- helping plan WMDE hackathon. May 18-20 or Jun 1-3, starting with structured data. Theme of event: more inreach to chapters &
Conferences in general
- Sumana needs to reach out to community to find out what to sponsor
basically rolling along
Volunteer recruitment & encouragement
A member of French chapter is coordinating some collaboration with students working on MediaWiki projects, incl finishing the plugin for DigiKam to upload to Commons! https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Jean-Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric/digiKam
Resource Loader workshop on Feb 23 - tentative
Mark question: there’s an IRC channel. #wikimedia-userscripts …..
Where is the community of Gadgets authors? Guillaume and Greg Varnum are working on this with Sumana.
Is this even possible? they are so localised! But wikis do copy gadgets from each other, so there is reason for community
started recruiting, now have flyers and better GSoC page https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2012
Seems to be humming along
Dev community metrics
on hold basically; (dashboard)
- Sumana to sprint on this next week for 30 min with Claudia
March TL;DR meeting in SF
We should plan this ahead of time and come up with a specific set of items we want to discuss and goals we want to accomplish.
First ideas: coordinate re roadmap, Wikimania, training documentation, work in coming months, etc.
Travel is mostly arranged.
- Sumana to coordinate with RobLa next week
- http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/TldrWikimania2012 (ideas for joint talk about transparency / project pages / working with volunteers?
etc.). This talk doesn’t mean you shouldn’t submit your own talk as well.
Tell people to apply for scholarships!