Engineering Community Team/Meetings/2013-07-02
July 2 2013
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2013/June Sunday is the deadline
It's been great to have so many community liaisons, product managers, etc. working on communicating with the community about this. This kind of work used to fall more on ECT's shoulders, and it's nice to have more people to do that so we can focus on nurturing the volunteer technical community and on communicating with the community about the changes that can't get VE/Flow-level attention from the community liaisons.
prep for quarterly review
Sumana working on this today. Quarterly review is July 9th. Looking at past quarterly review, reviewing goals from last quarter, success/failure and lessons learned, https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/2013-14_Goals#Wikimedia_Technical_Community note re yearly goals: https://github.com/Ironholds/MetaAnalysis/tree/master/GadgetUsage helps us with *what gadgets are installed/used on what wikis* including what the most popular gadgets are. Also need:
- who maintains them?
- when were they last updated?
- bot usage -- what bots are making the most edits, or the edits that make the biggest difference? who owns those bots and what wikis are they active on?
in goals (quarterly and/or yearly) - should perhaps include improvements to website (mediawiki.org) -- tie in budget for improving docs/pages/developer engagement
QA activity from last week
logistics went well some people in the audience were writing code along with presenters, left with running code on their laptops Quim wants to contact attendees one-on-one, learn their names, make sure they repeat, keep them on board. 1/2 attrition is still fine - that leaves us with a group of 20 with different levels of skill. ~40 people showed up at office, including ~5 employees European event - this week? Filipin wants to organize one in a European time zone. July - mid-late July Quim in Europe so easier to organize.
Thursday: day off for US people (Fourth of July/Independence Day)
- Guillaume possibly a couple days off in August/September; will provide tentative dates as soon as they're known
- July Fri05: Public holiday in CZ
- July Wed31-August Mon05: GNOME GUADEC (Brno/CZ)
- August Wed07-August Mon12: Wikimania (Hongkong/PRC)
- October Fri04-Sun06: Mozilla Summit 2013
- Monday next week: traveling
- July 16th: all-day meeting
- Quim flying to Germany this weekend, will work from there until Wikimania, except
- Quim on holidays July 24-31. Then flying to Hong Kong on Aug 2.
- July: some unavailability
- August 16-18, eurucamp, Berlin, Germany (maybe, waiting for reply if my workshop is accepted)
- September 6-7, BalCCon, Novi Sad, Serbia (maybe, waiting for reply if my talk is accepted)
- Aug 4-10 Agile2013 - "radically open software testing"
Other conference deadlines:
- LCA : July 6th http://linux.conf.au/media/news/1
- FOSDEM - with Siebrand, Quim is chasing FOSDEM people :) - as soon as there is a call for devrooms/booths Quim will start discussion