Engineering Community Team/Meetings/2012-02-21
TLDR meeting, 21 Feb 2012
Attending: Guillaume, Mark, Sumana, Chris McMahon
List of projects
- 1.19 stuff: Code review meistering
- 1.19 stuff: deployment & release support
- SWIFT deployment support
- Bug Triage
- Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)
- Bugzilla application management
- Wikimedia blog maintenance
- Training documentation
- Monthly report
- Communications support
- Engineering project documentation
- Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, Berlin)
- Conferences in general
- Commit Access
- Dev community metrics
Who's doing what (this week)
Chris: 1.19 deployment testing Mark: 1.19 Deployment support, bug triage Guillaume: communications support, monthly report, blog maintenance RobLa: Recruiting/hiring, 1.19 deployment Sumana: Commit access, volunteer recruiting and encouragement (including GSoC and UCOSP), hackathons and events/conferences in general, engineering project documentation (git)
1.19 stuff: Code review meistering
http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/119triage Mark coordinating with RobLa this week.
1.19 stuff: deployment & release support
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.19/Feature_Test_Charters Charters have been useful.
Last week: Chris: Messages*.php discrepancies -- Chris came to a conclusion. Now: Chris learning his way around what a release looks like Mark: ● Getting new 1.19 specific bugs (http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/119triage) fixed.
Guillaume: ongoing maintenance & updating of the translations of the maintenance banners, landing pages, etc.
Last week: Communicating with Gadgets creators: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ Thread:Talk:MediaWiki_1.19/Reference_tooltips/reply_(10) but what communication fora do they already use? We could update Timo’s page re using RL and create a link to a place where they can talk to each other. Create a space on mediawiki.org, use a script to ID the most prolific editors of gadgets on various wikis, send them a notification (e-mail or gadget talk page) Create a Gadget Portal on MediaWiki, Gadget Village Pumps
Mark has been working with Saibo. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/ Commons:Village_pump#MediaWiki_1.19_deployment_to_Commons Look in Mark’s daily log for names of other gadgets, etc. helpers.
SWIFT deployment support
Mark: Friday Triage and volunteer gathering for any new 1.19 bugs. TODO: Sumana: to publicize
Individual developer assignment work (what bugs are assigned to whom)
Continuing to do this in 20% standups MARK TO COORDINATE RE FIXMES
Bugzilla application management
Last week: Ask Rusty Burchfield (gicode) to get something going with git integration? (pushed to this week)
Wikimedia blog maintenance
On hold last week, working on it this week, see February Roadmap for details https:// www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Roadmap#TL.3BDR
On hold this week
Guillaume sent the “please add your updates for this month” e-mail to engineering@ to start assembling the February report : https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ Wikimedia_engineering_report/2012/February
Please add status updates to your project(s) regularly to make the February report less
painful than the January one: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Platform_Engineering
- getting back to people who need stuff from me (e.g. Wikimania help)
- sort of handed over the SOPA tech retrospective to Matthew because it’s too hard for me to
find the information, and I can’t do it this week anyway
Engineering project documentation
- perennial project page maintenance
Sumana: git post is up and git docs are far better. TODO: arrange git/gerrit/git-review training for the 27th.
Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, Berlin)
Sumana used en.wp talk pages to reach out to a lot of template & gadgets people about upcoming events. Talked to Katie Filbert about structure for https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon
- Follow-up on Pune event (7-19 promising volunteers)
- Follow-up for San Francisco event (including posting SF hackathon postmortem)
- Possible Brazil event
- Planning for Wikidata / structured data part of Berlin event
TODO: Mark to forward Sumana Portugese Wikibooks/Collection work people
Conferences in general
- this week: Sumana reaching out to people who are not part of the 1.19 team, to encourage
them to submit proposals, etc. Sumana started a Wikimania submission
Wikimania, Opensourcebridge, and Grace Hopper conference
same... need to work on git future
Sumana responding on mailing lists, etc.
Sumana spending lots of time encouraging GSoC participants in IRC and mailing lists. Going to a women’s college on Thursday for general recruitment + GSoC recruitment. Updated https:/ /www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_Past_Projects with info about past projects. Need to start writing org application this week.
- Sumana to provide template for emailing past professors, students, etc.
Basically progressing fine except that the mobile team does not have enough time to mentor them thoroughly this month. Sumana improved https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ UCOSP_Spring_2012
Dev community metrics
Sumana worked with Claudia
- Chris discovered -- Labs is not automated. TODO: Chris to note the Labs gatekeeping
painpoints - on mediawiki.org, Wikimedia Labs discussion page
- Sumana drawing up TL;DR team plan today (Tuesday) for March team visit - includes
Wikimania submissions including scheduling of sessions this week if possible
- Sumana out of office Wed. night through Thursday
- Guillaume in SF from March 1st to March 14th. On vacation from March 15th until March 23rd.
- Sumana in SF Feb 29-March 10
- TODO: Sumana to add link to archived notes in TL;DR section of Platform Eng page