Engineering Community Team/Meetings/2013-07-16

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

July 16th[edit]

Followup from quarterly review[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Volunteer_coordination_and_outreach/ECT_July_2013_quarterly_review http://etherpad.wmflabs.org/pad/p/ECT_July_2013_quarterly_review

  • felt a little rushed - think about 75 or 90 minutes in future
  • Greg maybe should be in more quarterly reviews generally
  • Try to get Alolita
  • less so Antoine

Communications of feature teams out to community - ones that don't have liaisons may not do as much Action item: Ken and Andre to continue conversation, have a meeting/chat in August -- Andre to push on this re BZ/rt Action item: Sumana to think about ECT communications for activities that don't have dedicated liaisons & talk with eng directors about, e.g., Analytics Action item: Sumana to consolidate & prioritize upstreams lists

Wikimania prep[edit]

https://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Transparency_and_collaboration_in_Wikimedia_engineering Andre, Quim, & Sumana


"internal" (Wikimedia)

  • Day-to-day: Andre/Quim
    • Coordination of Wikitech-ambassadors, Weekly tech news, Signpost and other initiatives encouraging information and collaboration beteen Wikimedia tech contributors and editors. - Quim
    • Bug reporting - Andre
  • Long-term:
    • Helping you shape developers' priorities, with bug triage and product development opportunities. - Sumana
    • Monthly engineering report - Sumana

"external" (other organizations) (Sumana)

  • Work on news and activities with an impact in mainstream tech media, thus raising the awareness among potential contributors at large.
  • Collaboration with established organizations & upstreams: many active groups out there have an interest in making technical contributions to Wikipedia.

Andre, Quim, & Sumana to basically cover these points, divide them up, and one of us do an intro. will fill 15 minutes + 10 min Q&A

Upcoming changes/dates[edit]

  • Guillaume off on Thursday. possibly a couple days off in August/September; will provide tentative dates as soon as they're known
  • Andre:
    • July Wed31-August Mon05: GNOME GUADEC (Brno/CZ)
    • August Wed07-August Mon12: Wikimania (Hongkong/PRC)
    • October Fri04-Sun06: Mozilla Summit 2013
  • Sumana
    • July 16th: all-day meeting
  • Quim flying to Germany this weekend, will work from there until Wikimania, except
    • Quim on holidays July 24-31. Then flying to Hong Kong on Aug 2.
  • Željko:
    • July: some unavailability
    • September 6-7, BalCCon, Novi Sad, Serbia
    • September 27-28, CITCON, Turin, Italy
    • November 7, SQA Days, Lviv, Ukraine
  • Chris:
    • Aug 4-10 Agile2013 - "radically open software testing"
    • possible longish vacation in Octobe

Other conference deadlines:

  • LCA : July 20th http://linux.conf.au/media/news/1
  • FOSDEM - with Siebrand, Quim is chasing FOSDEM people :) - as soon as there is a call for devrooms/booths Quim will start discussion

VisualEditor[edit]

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-ambassadors/2013-July/000316.html - updated schedule

Guillaume working on VE through most of August.

Misc updates[edit]

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/07/23/pywikipediabot-moving-to-git-on-july-26/

  • Andre has discussed stuff with them on 1 talk page - move to Git first, then move bug trackers into BZ

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Volunteer_coordination_and_outreach/ECT_July_2013_quarterly_review#Next_quarter_goals

  • Action item: Sumana to consolidate & prioritize lists of upstreams

Rachel?

  • figuring out how to change your email address in Gerrit
  • changed it the wrong way in Gerrit, then a week later, couldn't log back in
    • LDAP problem

Who is backup?

QA documentation improvement:

  • open question on the QA list from Rachel - how to proceed? Thanks for her bug reports! :)
  • Chris will update obsolete docs especially on browser test automation - consolidating - by August 2nd

Action item: Rachel to file bug asking to make it impossible to change email address wrong way with dev account Misc: Chris's HotCat test https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/74075/4/features/hotcat.feature

Andre updates[edit]

Ken

  • Andre sent Ken a note summarizing positions re Ops bug workflow

Jared & Howie

BZ upstream GUADEC absence

  • will have a delegate

Conferences & misc scheduling[edit]

Wikimania[edit]

Rachel- vacation Aug 5-9

  • Guillaume: possibly a couple days off in August/September; will provide tentative dates as soon as they're known
  • Andre:
    • July Wed31-August Mon05: GNOME GUADEC (Brno/CZ)
    • August Wed07-August Mon12: Wikimania (Hongkong/PRC)
    • October Fri04-Sun06: Mozilla Summit 2013
  • Sumana
  • Quim in Germany until Wikimania, except
    • Quim on holidays July 24-31. Then flying to Hong Kong on Aug 2.
  • Željko:
    • vacation late July - early August
    • August 16, eurucamp/JRubyConf EU Workshop, Berlin, Germany
    • September 6-7, BalCCon, Novi Sad, Serbia
    • September 27-28, CITCON, Turin, Italy
    • November 7, SQA Days, Lviv, Ukraine
  • Chris:
    • Aug 4-10 Agile2013 - "radically open software testing"
    • possible days off in October

Other conference deadlines:

  • FOSDEM - with Siebrand, Quim is chasing FOSDEM people :) - as soon as there is a call for devrooms/booths Quim will start discussion