Engineering Community Team/Meetings/2012-04-10

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TLDR meeting, 10 April 2012

Attending: Mark, Sumana, Guillaume, Chris

List of projects[edit]

  • Testing infrastructure/automation
  • Feature testing efforts
  • 20% time wrangling
  • 1.19 stuff: deployment & release support
  • 1.20 deployment
  • Git and Gerrit migration
  • Bug Triage
  • Bugzilla application management
  • Wikimedia blog maintenance
  • Training documentation
  • Monthly report
  • Communications support
  • Engineering activity documentation
  • Recruiting/hiring
  • Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, Berlin, Wikimania)
    • Conferences in general
  • Gerrit project owner groups
  • Recruitment/encouragement
    • GSOC
    • UCOSP
  • Dev community metrics


Who's doing what (this week)[edit]

Chris: Testing infrastructure/automation, feature testing efforts Mark: 1.19 Deployment support, bug triage, BZ application management, volunteer recruitment/encouragement (bug squad) Guillaume: Communications support, engineering activity documentation, blog maintenance RobLa: Recruiting/hiring, 1.19 deployment followup, Git migration Sumana: Volunteer recruiting and encouragement (including GSoC and UCOSP), hackathons and events/conferences in general, Gerrit project ownership, 20% time wrangling Claudia: dev cmty metrics


Testing infrastructure/automation[edit]

Presented browser test automation prototype, following up with more info to participants. Working on Labs - top priority for Chris.

Continue working with Labs in greater detail: test data and ongoing maintenance are key. Clarified status on activity page

Nag in a month for blog post.

Feature testing efforts[edit]

SWIFT, TimedMediaHandler, Editor Engagement (AFTv5),

Following up on TMH errors found, more Labs wrangling.

Might be in SF week of May 7 for heavy Labs work.

Chris getting into mobile stuff this week.

20% time wrangling[edit]

Sumana discussion on wikitech-l about backlog on the extension review queue Sumana has done cleanup, talked to Howie, Rob, Tim

  • Mark will push for ShortURL


1.19 stuff: deployment & release support[edit]

last couple of bugs being addressed https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/query.cgi?resolution=---&target_milestone=1.19.0%20release 2 there - Trevor met with Roan & JS people

  • Mark to ping Trevor and Timo
  • This is Mark's highest priority -- but nothing happened on either one of these :( even after I pinged them.

Timo has no time to work on this.

  • Mark: (Talk to Sam about how to proceed.)
  • Guillaume will take a look at the MW1.19 page this week, with Sumana


1.20 deployment[edit]

So apparently, we're going to start deploying 1.20 next week. Rob will ask Guillaume for communications support. Sumana talked about how to move forward - initial steps

  • Mark to create rough 1.20 talking points (things to watch out for) just after this meeting
  • Guillaume to possibly talk with Sumana after meeting about 1.20 talking points


Git and Gerrit migration[edit]

Sumana handing over project management to Chad.

Request for Guillaume to work with Sumana, Chad to help with documentation on MediaWiki.org - Guillaume doesn't have time for much

  • Sumana to try to get Chad to take on reorg, use G as resource to restructure pages/info


Bug Triage[edit]

maybe no public bug triage this week -- following up on dataleak bugs


Bugzilla application management[edit]

Git integration? API doesn't have the stuff in it that Mark wants.... there might be another approach bz package - there is none for Bugzilla 4 (not bugmeister work). Get this puppetized in Labs. Just put it on the bz-dev server last night, going to work on puppet today.

Wikimedia blog maintenance[edit]

Guillaume resumed work on this -- finish plugin & feature research & create RT tickets for install & setup, follow up on requests, continue to draft specs and timeline for blog analytics, hopefully also finish the layout rewrite but more likely to be next week

Training documentation[edit]

Need to work on Git docs - asking Guillaume for help... later (via Chad)

Coming up in April & May: work on ResourceLoader/Gadgets 2.0 docs & security training docs

Monthly report[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2012/March is out, thanks. Please keep adding status updates for this month.

Communications support[edit]

side activity: Guillaume preparing howto for Andrew White to switch the staff IRC channel to private (yay!)

Engineering activity documentation[edit]

The project activity page system is now pretty stable and working well, and we have 3 out of the 4 engineering groups using them. Guillaume & Rob talked about going the extra step to remove the system's pain points and make so really awesome that people will have *no* excuse not to use it, and hopefully they'll even start liking it. Guillaume is working on specifications and Rob (possibly aided by a JavaScript expert) will help with implementation.

Recruiting/hiring[edit]

Rob; not in this meeting Sumana should get started on event manager, bugmeister, some contract help for the next few months

Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, Berlin, Wikimania)[edit]

Sumana doing general planning, outreach now that Berlin reg form is settled, volunteer sponsorship-wrangling

Conferences in general[edit]

Sumana should tell Erik and recruiters what we should sponsor. (Need to do soon)

Gerrit project owner groups[edit]

Sumana started regular ownership-addition procedure; will run through these whenever new ones get added

Recruitment/encouragement[edit]

Sumana running developer access queue Sumana & Mark continuing to do this. Mark: finding people to work on bug squad, need to start producing goals for the squad and having measurable progress towards them (somewhat lower priority)

GSoC[edit]

Proposals finished. Sumana needs to set up and run evaluation process

UCOSP[edit]

End of term

Dev community metrics[edit]

- Claudia:

   - read tldr notes from the last weeks as well as many (not all) mails from wikitech-l
   - in the middle of collecting, reading and distilling probably useful measures from various research related to bug management in oos
   - I plan to: update my user page with metrics and finish first overview analyses from bugzilla


Misc[edit]

  • Chris - Might be in SF week of May 7 for heavy Labs work.
  • Sumana to be in SF this month - Apr 18? - 25?