Sarja uusia ominaisuuksia ja vanhojen uudelleenjärjestelyjä Vektori-ulkoasuun
Nyt on kulunut yli kymmenen vuotta siitä, kun Wikimedian nykyinen oletusulkoasu Vektori otettiin käyttöön. Viimeisen vuosikymmenen aikana käyttöliittymää on rikastettu laajennuksilla, gadgeteilla ja käyttäjäskripteillä. Suurinta osaa niistä ei ole koordinoitu visuaalisesti tai wikienvälisesti. Samaan aikaan sekä verkkosuunnittelu että lukijoiden ja muokkaajien odotukset ovat kasvaneet ja kehittyneet. Mielestämme on aika ottaa joitain näistä ideoista ja tuoda ne kaikkien käyttäjien oletusnäkymään, kaikkiin wikeihin, järjestäytyneellä ja johdonmukaisella tavalla. Over the last decade, the interface has been enriched with extensions, gadgets and user scripts. Most of these were not coordinated visually or cross-wiki. At the same time, web design, as well as the expectations of readers and editors, have evolved. We think it's time to take some of these ideas and bring them to the default experience of all users, on all wikis, in an organized, consistent way.
Our goals are to make Wikimedia wikis more welcoming and to increase the utility amongst readers and maintain utility for existing editors. We measure the increase of trust and positive sentiment towards our sites, and the utility of our sites (the usage of common actions such as search and language switching).
Currently, on most wikis, only logged-in users are able to opt-in individually. On selected wikis, our changes are deployed for all by default, and logged-in users are able to opt-out. We are increasing the number of wikis where Vector 2022 is the default, until our improvements are default on all wikis.
syyskuu 2022: Plans and conversations about the deployment across the Wikimedia wikis
- High usage on the early adopter wikis. According to the recent study by the Product Analytics team, 87% of contributors active on the early adopter wikis use Vector 2022. Here, active contributors mean users who made at least 5 edits between 1 November 2021 and 31 August 2022. Thank you!
- Visual refinements. We have completed the list of visual refinements. We planned to complete these before the deployments across more wikis. These changes included work on link colors, icons, and overall look and feel of Vector 2022. We welcome feedback and questions on any of these changes. Write to us on the project talk page.
- Decision of the English Wikipedia community through the Request for Comment. For the past two months, we have been discussing with the English Wikipedia community. English Wikipedians have identified issues blocking the deployment of Vector 2022 on their home wiki. They have also requested that the decision on the deployment be made through the Request for Comment process. Our draft is now available. We're planning to launch the RfC on Wednesday, September 21. If you edit English Wikipedia, we encourage you to take part!
- Deployment plans across other projects. We are planning deployment conversations across all of the other Wikimedia projects. We will first begin with the smallest wikis. By the smallest, we mean smaller than top 30 largest active communities. We hope to complete this during the first week of October, 2022. Then, we will begin conversations on medium to large-size wikis. Dates will depend on the consensus across individual communities.
- More community-facing activities
- We have posted a new essay on the Diff blog. It has a title Prioritizing equity within Wikipedia's new desktop. The essay is about why and how different groups of users were represented throughout the process of building Vector 2022.
- We have published the expanded Frequently asked questions page. Take a look and tell us if it's useful. Soon, we will make it possible to translate it.
- We also display banners encouraging to try out Vector 2022. The banners are only visible for logged-in users having Vector legacy (2010), the current default skin.
elokuu 2022: Wikimania, visual refinements, and more changes
Having the structural changes to the features done, we are finishing development of Vector 2022. In particular:
- We are working on the visual refinements. We will be changing the styles, link colors, font size, content area width, and more. This is based on the results of the feedback we received from our last round of prototype testing.
- We are releasing updates to the table of contents (ToC) based on the feedback we've received from communities. These updates will make the ToC easier to use on smaller and larger screens. There will be more customization than before. Over the next few weeks, you will see the following changes:
- The table of contents will be collapsible at all screen sizes
- Once collapsed, the ToC will be available at the top of the page, next to the article title, as well as in the sticky header
- The Editing team, whose focus is currently on improving talk pages, has added an "add topic" button to the sticky header on talk pages. This will make it easier to start a new topic on a talk page from any part of the page, without having to scroll to the very top. See their project page for more information on this change and the project overall.
We have also continued discussions on how to make Vector 2022 the default for more communities. Your feedback is helping us make the skin better. We appreciate that. Let's meet again! On Saturday August 13, we are having a session at Wikimania, and a separate meeting for questions and answers right after that.
heinäkuu 2022: Page title/tabs switch
We are deploying one of our latest updates. The page title will be displayed above the tabs such as Discussion, Read, Edit, View history, or More.
With this change, we are improving two things. First, we are making it clear that the items in the tabs are related to the the page that's being viewed. It's becoming apparent when we put the page title first. This change also makes switching languages easier. It moved the language button into an even more prominent position at the top of the page. Learn more on Phabricator.
We have been introducing this change in small steps. Since the last days of June, it's been available to all users opted into the Vector 2022 skin, and some early adopter wikis. During the week of July 4, the change will become visible on all the early adopter wikis.
In addition to that, our next office hours will be on July 26 instead of July 12. This will allow us to prepare the communication about making Vector 2022 the default across more wikis. We are also working on better language support for office hours in the future. More information on this coming soon!
Mikä on päämäärämme?
Haluamme asteittain järjestää tämän…
Tällä hetkellä käyttöliittymä...
…ei vastaa odotuksia. …on sotkuinen eikä kovinkaan intuitiivinen. …doesn't highlight the community side. …ei ole yhdenmukainen mobiiliversion kanssa.
- The desktop interface does not match the expectations created by the modern web platforms. It feels disorienting and disconnected. Navigation and interface links are organized haphazardly.
- There is clutter that distracts users from focusing on what they came for. It is challenging for readers to focus on the content. It is not possible for them to intuitively switch languages, search for content, or adjust reading settings. New editors are unable to use their intuition to set up their account, open the editor, or learn how to use non-article pages for moderation purposes.
- Vain hyvin pieni osa lukijoista todella ymmärtää Wikimedian wikien toimintaa. Suuri osa lukijoista ei tiedä lainkaan lukevansa vapaaehtoisten lisäämää ja säännöllisesti päivittämää sisältöä eikä tiedä voivansa itsekin osallistua muokkaamiseen.
- The large difference in experiences among our desktop interface, apps, and the mobile web, makes it difficult for readers to connect our products. There is a lack of unity in the concept of Wikimedia sites.
Miten muutoksia tehdään
Emme koske lainkaan sisältöön. Emme poista yhtäkään toiminnallisuutta. Koskemme vain ja ainoastaan Vektori-ulkoasuun. We are inspired by the existing gadgets. We do not make major changes in single steps.
- We are working on the interface only. No work will be done in terms of styling templates, the structure of page contents, map support, or cross-wiki templates.
- Though our changes are easily noticeable, we are taking an evolutionary approach and want the site to continue feeling familiar to readers and editors. Each feature is discussed, developed, and deployed separately.
- Elements of the interface might move around, but all navigational items and other functionality currently available by default will remain.
- Skins other than Vector are out of the scope of our adjustments. We have frozen Vector to Legacy Vector, and begun deploying our features as parts of the new default Vector.
- We have analysed many wikis and have noticed many useful gadgets. Some of them definitely deserve to be surfaced and be a part of default experience.
- Both prior to development and after deployment, we collect data (via A/B testing, prototype feedback rounds, etc.). In the case of significantly negative results, we will roll back our changes.
- It is our intention to test our improvements in collaboration with a diverse set of volunteering early adopter wikis, both Wikipedias and sister projects.
|suurin osa wikeistä||aikaisen käyttöönoton wikit|
|muokkaajat eivätkä lukijat
eivät oletuksena näe tekemiämme muutoksia
|muokkaajat ja lukijat|
näkevät oletuksena tekemämme muutokset
|vain muokkaajat voivat ottaa käyttöön
(from user preferences, by checking Vektori (2022) in the Ulkoasu tab)
|vain muokkaajat voivat ottaa pois käytöstä|
(using Vaihda vanhaan ulkoasuun in the sidebar, or directly from their users preferences)
Deployment plan and timeline
The skin is now ready to become the default on any wiki.
|Month and week||Community relations|
|Discussions with the English Wikipedia community||Meetings with communities|
|Meetings with communities|
|24.||Deployment on the smallest Wikipedias|
|14.||Discussions with the Arabic, Greek, Hindi, Norwegian, and Swedish Wikipedia communities||Full-width toggle|
|21.||No technical changes; meeting with the Spanish-language communities|
|28.||Meeting with the Polish Wikipedia community|
|5.||Deployments on some/all of the above Wikipedias|
|No technical changes|
|5.||Discussion with 5 other communities, most likely: Czech, Chinese, Finnish, Hungarian Wikipedia, and English Wiktionary|
Luettelo aikaisen käyttöönoton wikeistä (testiwikeistä)
First group of wikis (marked as ※ on the timeline above):
Second group of wikis (marked as † on the timeline above):
Third group of wikis (marked as ‡ on the timeline above):
Fourth group of wikis (marked as § on the timeline above):
Get involved & Contact
- Test individually: in Preferences, check the option Vektori (2022). You can also enable our changes using the Global preferences.
- Join online meetings with us: we organize meetings every 2-3 weeks.
- Promote: Inform your community. Share our updates and blog posts.
- Report bugs: to report a bug, create a task in Phabricator and add project.
- Early adoption: We are hoping to increase the set of early adopter wikis gradually. Do you think your community might be interested in having our interface as default? Please contact us!
Community Relations Specialist
- Translate: help us translate related pages:
What features will be added
Each feature was built and implemented separately, over time. Our decisions are based on community feedback, user testing, and extracted API data.