Release status: stable
|Implementation||Special page, Locale, API|
|Description||Enables in-wiki translation and proofreading|
|Author(s)||Niklas Laxström, Siebrand Mazeland and others|
|Latest version||Dated snapshots from time to time|
|MediaWiki||1.20, 1.21, 1.22, 1.23alpha|
|License||GPL 2.0 or later|
|Download||Included in Language Extension Bundle
|Example||Translatewiki.net – or try how to translate a page now|
Translate the Translate extension if possible
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
|Bugs: list open list all report|
The Translate extension makes MediaWiki a powerful tool to translate every kind of text. It's used especially to translate software and to manage multilingual wikis in a sensible way.
Features[edit | edit source]
The Translate extension has many features specifically targeted to translators, while making back-end integration with actual source code as easy as possible. Meanwhile, everything runs inside MediaWiki, which allows users an almost endless degree of freedom for communication and self-organization.
- Structured wiki content page translation.
- In-wiki localisation and exporting of software interface messages (or just about anything).
- AJAX enabled web-based translation and proofreading in supported browsers (new "TUX" interface since March 2013), as well as gettext based export and import for off-line translation.
- Various aids to make the job of translators easier:
- display of translations in globally defined other languages, optionally expanded with user defined languages;
- collaborative editing of documentation of the use and context of messages;
- translation memory and machine translation with external tools (tmserver, Apertium, Microsoft Translator, Yandex.Translate);
- display of the latest change in the source message;
- warnings about common mistakes like parameters that are not used.
- Pre-made modules for various open source products you can use as an example.
- A versatile plug-in system to make it easy to add new projects as a message group.
- Various statistics (requires PHPlot for graphics):
- translation completion percentages for all message groups in all supported languages;
- translation completion percentages in all supported languages for any supported message group;
- tool for making activity graphs for spans of time. Can display either number of edits or active users daily or hourly and includes many filters;
- cloud overview of active languages and translators.
Translate extension, due to its large user base, is confirmed to be compatible with all reasonably recent browsers, except some minor (style) glitches which are quickly fixed.
Support and documentation[edit | edit source]
Translate extension is using continuous development model, which means we are not doing any releases. You should get the latest version from git and update from time to time to get new features and bug fixes. The core functionality is pretty stable, but there may be bigger changes from time to time. We might start doing actual releases if there is enough interest.
- See Installation
- See Configuration
- See User documentation — includes tutorials
- Live support at #mediawiki-i18n IRC channel at Freenode (best times are at European days and evenings)
- Code documentation
- Please report all issues and feature requests in the issue tracker
Translate extension was originally developed by User:Nikerabbit; many other users, like User:Raymond, User:SPQRobin and the Wikimedia Language Engineering team, have contributed to its code and documentation. It is maintained by User:Nikerabbit and User:Siebrand.
Prominent users of the Translate extension[edit | edit source]
- http://translatewiki.net — The biggest wiki-based site and community for translation of the interface of open source software.
- http://userbase.kde.org — Documentation wiki for KDE project which uses the page translation feature extensively.
- http://meta.wikimedia.org — Translates wiki content and uses the group states feature. Translation and translation review is enabled almost for all users of the wiki.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Extension:TranslationNotifications — an extension to facilitate communication with translators.
How to contribute[edit | edit source]
- Translate this extension at translatewiki.net
- Open bugs and feature requests
- More open bugs and feature requests at translatewiki.net
- Proofread and translate the documentation of Translate extension
Recent changes[edit | edit source]
- Localisation updates from https://translatewiki.net.
Change-Id: <a href="https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#q,Ide6c29e1f4b0e68ce821401a753a3f9e991ca2e6,n,z">Ide6c29e1f...
- — 2014-03-06 19:56:59
- Updated to mediawiki_selenium 0.2.9 to fix log in problems
Paired with Amir Aharoni.
Change-Id: <a href="https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#q,I55f0d7d6f4cdd0094373c453d1c...
- — 2014-03-06 14:44:42
- Localisation updates from https://translatewiki.net.
Change-Id: <a href="https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#q,I22af186037d1c0cc843aef39a084413ed342f5c3,n,z">I22af18603...
- — 2014-03-05 21:12:00
- Improvements to TUX shortcuts
Indicators for insertables were only partially visible,
possibly due to CSS change in core that reduced margin.
* Amend the message to mention th...
- — 2014-03-05 17:27:48
- Merge "Workaround for CSSJanus <a href="https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/61440">bug 61440</a>"
- — 2014-03-05 16:47:28
- Support insertables with numbers in the end
Change-Id: <a href="https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#q,Ic339bd2db56b510f74ebf2858edd18f2a6a4af62,n,z">Ic339bd2db56b510f74ebf2...
- — 2014-03-05 16:24:23
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|