- Annual Plan for Audiences 2018-2019
- Annual Plan for Product 2017-2018
- Annual Plan for Product 2016-2017
- 2016 Product Summary
- 2015 Product & Technology Review
- Product Principles
- Technical Collaboration Guidance
- Community Process Principles
- Design Statement of Purpose
- Data and research information for products
- Monthly Research Showcases.
- Community Health Initiative
- Structured Data on Commons
- New Readers — on-going research that focuses on understanding potential Wikimedia readers in countries where access to the Internet is quickly growing.
- New Editor Experiences
- Audience Research
An Audience team covers a set of features developed according to specific user flows and needs.
We build collaborative, inclusive tools for creating and editing free knowledge.
- Page: Contributors
- Phabricator task boards: #Contributors-Team; #Collaboration-Team-Current, #ContentTranslation-Release8, #Parsoid, #VisualEditor
- Teams: Editing, Collaboration, Language, Parsing plus Design and Product
|Metric||May 2018 value||M/M ±||Y/Y ±|
|Total content items||188 M||1.4%||26.7%|
|—Wikipedia articles||47.9 M||0.4%||7.7%|
|—Media files||50.3 M||2.0%||28.3%|
|—Wikidata entities||49.0 M||2.4%||80.5%|
|Monthly active editors||85 400||2.1%||–0.9%|
|—new (first-month)||17 800||10.8%||–9.1%|
|New editor retention||6.4%||–4.3%||6.7%|
|Total monthly edits||39.1 M||13.1%||–6.6%|
|—mobile edits||1.17 M||5.3%||36.5%|
|—data edits||12.9 M||–28.6%||47.1%|
|—non-bot edits||22.2 M||7.1%||17.8%|
For the source of these metrics, this repository.
Content growth across our projects continues, with Wikidata experiencing the highest growth rate. The content metrics will be changed from totals to per-month items added in the next update, for better insight into changes in the pace of growth.
New editors continues to decline, with existing active editors and new editor retention continuing to experience gradual improvements.
The 18% year-over-year growth in non-bot edits is primarily due to growth in non-bot data edits. In the next update, non-bot edits will exclude mobile, data, and upload edits so as not to provide overlapping insight.
- The filters on Recent Changes beta feature now lets you save sets of filters, with further improvements coming soon.
- The Linter tool, which helps editors find and highlight wikitext errors, is now available on all wikis except the largest (like MediaWiki.org – see the linting index page). We will release it to the remaining wikis soon, once performance concerns are addressed.
- Improvements to Content Translation to replace its editor with the same platform as the visual editor continue.
- In the visual editor, you can now see visual diffs as you edit. We will improve and expand it in the weeks ahead.
- Our work on deploying Compact Language Links out of beta (T66793) is nearing completion. It is available to everyone on all wikis except two Wikipedias, English and German. (T136677)
- Our work to release the visual editor to all Wikipedias is now almost complete. There are now outstanding only the eight multi-script Wikipedias (including Chinese) which are technologically blocked, on which we're working with Parsing. There are also three other Wikipedias in incomplete deployment states (English, Spanish and Dutch), for which work is paused pending the new wikitext editor release, and won't resume until some point, probably in mid-to-late-2017.
We build exceptional learning and reading experiences for the sum of all knowledge.
- Page: Readers
- Lead: Toby Negrin
- Phabricator task board: #reading
- Teams: Mobile Apps, Desktop & Mobile Web, Reading Infrastructure
- Reading code responsibility
|Pageviews[r 1][r 2]||15.4 B||-0%|
|… Desktop[r 1][r 2]||7.0 B||-7.0%|
|… Mobile Web[r 1]||8.2 B||+6%|
|… Global North[r 1][r 2]||11.8 B||-0.9%|
|Unique Devices (all Wikipedias)||1.52 B||+4%|
|Android Uniques||5 M||-17.23%|
|Android Installs||14.1 k/d||-8%|
|iOS Downloads[r 3]||2.91 k/d||-27.35%|
|Updated May 31, 2018. For some analysis of longer-term trends, see also the quarterly core Readers metrics overview for Q2 and other Readership metrics reports. More information about the Android app's metrics can be found in this overview.
Pageviews in April were almost exactly at the level of a year ago, in contrast to the last few months where we had seen a year-over-year decline of up to about 6%. In fact we would even have surpassed the April 2017 pageviews if not for the deployment of page previews to the German and English Wikipedias this month (completing the feature's rollout to the desktop version of all Wikipedia languages. As discussed before, it causes a decrease in desktop pageviews of about 3-5%, intentionally so, as the feature is designed to facilitate reading linked articles without opening the entire page). The increase appears to have started around late March/early April, focused on desktop, with no clear explanation so far. We may have more information in the quarterly Readers metrics presentation later this month.
Technical work supporting the core community of the Wikimedia projects
Wikidata is a free and open knowledge base that can be read and edited by both humans and machines. This project is maintained by the Software Development & Engineering department at Wikimedia Deutschland.
- Page: Wikidata
- Lead: Lydia Pintscher
- Phabricator bugs & tasks board: #wikidata
- Discussion List: email@example.com
WMDE Fiscal Year 2016
WMDE Fiscal Year 2017