The Wikimedia Foundation Product staff and contractors build, improve, and maintain the software features of Wikimedia sites. Together with Technology, Product constitutes Product and Technology, one of the seven Wikimedia Foundation departments.
On these pages you can read about our principles and best practices for our work:
- Inclusive Product Development – documenting how we are guided by the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Wikimedia Product Guidance – documenting how we work with the Wikimedia communities.
Structure of the department
Within the Product department, we have two types of teams:
- Feature teams are the primary unit of work for building products. Some of them are put into groups to ensure closer work.
- Functional teams include the people who provide services, such as management, analytics, or community relations, to the feature teams.
|Team name||Focus||Point of contact||Current project(s)|
|Abstract Wikipedia||A new type of wiki where community-written software functions can transform language-independent Wikidata structured data into Wikipedia-like prose articles.||Denny Vrandečić||Wikifunctions|
|Campaigns||Experience of Wikimedia campaigns.||Ilana Fried||Registration|
|Editing||Improving the core editing tools so that volunteers are able to successfully start and continue contributing to Wikimedia projects.||Peter Pelberg||Talk Pages Project|
|Growth||A set of features to encourage newcomers to make edits, and improve new editor retention.||Kirsten Stoller||Mentorship|
|Add a link|
|Add an image|
|Moderator Tools||Content moderation tool needs.||Sam Walton||Automoderator|
|Web||Reading experiences on the web for the Wikimedia projects.||Olga Vasileva||Desktop Improvements|
|Android||Experience for searching and reading Wikipedia content.||Jazmin Tanner||Communication improvements|
|iOS||Experience for searching and reading Wikipedia content.||Codebase|
|Other teams in this group|
|Trust and Safety Product||Technical work in support of the Trust and Safety team.||Madalina Ana||Safety Survey|
|Incident Reporting System (IRS)|
|Niharika Kohli||Temporary accounts|
|Languages & Content Growth|
|Inuka||Experiences to Wikipedia readers in emerging markets, driving increased adoption and retention of Wikipedia in areas where internet use is rapidly growing.||Purity Waigi||Wikistories|
|Wikipedia for KaiOS|
|Language||Internationalization and localization tools for Wikimedia sites on web and mobile.||Pau Giner||Content and Section translation|
|Community Tech||Community Wishlist Survey. They also build and improve curation and moderation tools for experienced users, supports bot operators, and more.||Runa Bhattacharjee (temporarily)||Real Time Preview for Wikitext|
|Generate Audio for IPA|
|Structured Data||Content on wikitext pages structured in a way that will be machine-recognizable and -relatable, to make reading, editing, and searching easier and more accessible.||Alexandra Ugolnikova||Image Suggestions|
|Design Systems||Build out the new Codex component library and improve front-end infrastructure in MediaWiki so that teams can build modern user interfaces more easily and consistently.||Chris Ciufo||Codex component library|
|Modern user interfaces for all users|
- Design – focus on user experience design and research, information architecture, human-computer interaction, visual design, and usability experience.
- Engineering Management – focus on technical practices and engineering mentorship.
- Product Management – define what will be built and set the strategy for the problems the team focuses on.
- Selena Deckelmann: Chief Product and Technology Officer
- Desiree Abad: Director, Product Platform
- Runa Bhattacharjee: Director of Product, Languages & Content Growth
- Sai Suman Cherukuwada: Director, Engineering
- Marshall Miller: Director of Product, Core Experiences
- vacant: Vice President, Product Design
- Denny Vrandečić: Head of Special Projects