Welcome to the home of Wikimedia Research. For an overview of our work, projects, resources, and collaborations, please visit: https://research.wikimedia.org
Wikimedia Research is a team of scientists and engineers using data to understand and empower millions of readers and contributors who interact with Wikipedia and its sister projects on a daily basis.
We turn research questions into publicly shared knowledge. We design and test new technology, produce empirical insights to support new products and programs, and publish research informing the organization’s and the movement’s strategy.
We are strongly committed to principles of transparency, privacy, and open collaboration. We collaborate with a network of researchers in the industry and academia, and publish all our output in the open.
Senior Design Researcher
Senior Research Scientist, Lead
Former team members
Director, Head of Research (now with Chan Zuckerberg Initiative)
Data Scientist (now with Google Brain)
Senior Data Analyst
We collaborate with external researchers in a variety of forms. You can read more on formal collaborations on this page.
|Akhil Arora||EPFL||Y||Leila Zia|
|Srijan Kumar||Stanford University||Y||Leila Zia|
|Florian Lemmerich||RWTH Aachen University||Y||Isaac Johnson|
|Jure Leskovec||Stanford University||Y||Leila Zia
|Tiziano Piccardi||EPFL||Y||Miriam Redi|
|Shilad Sen||Macalester College||Y||Aaron Halfaker|
|Markus Strohmaier||RWTH Aachen University||Y||Isaac Johnson|
|Robert West||EPFL||Y||Leila Zia
|Andrea Forte||Drexel University||Y||Jonathan Morgan|
|Houda El Mimouni||Drexel University||Y||Jonathan Morgan|
|Giovanni Colavizza||University of Amsterdam||N||Miriam Redi|
- Our research reports mostly live in the Research namespace on Meta
- We host every month a showcase where we present publicly our work and invite guest speakers involved in Wikimedia research. You can browse past editions of the showcase on this page. The showcase has been running monthly since December 2013.
- We host every month office hours where you can ask us research-related questions (such as on datasets, projects, ...)
- If you're interested in staying on top of both internal and external research on our projects, check out our monthly newsletter (which you can also subscribe to by mail) or follow @WikiResearch on Twitter. The newsletter is mostly volunteer effort coordinated by Tilman and Miriam and has been proudly running since April 2011.
- You can reach us on IRC via the irc:wikimedia-research channel or drop us a line at (firstname.lastname@example.org).