On these pages you can read about our principles and best practices for our work:
- Inclusive Product Development – documenting how we are guided by the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Wikimedia Product Guidance – documenting how we work with the Wikimedia communities.
Structure of the department
Within the Product department, we have two types of teams:
- Feature teams are the primary unit of work for building products. Some of them are put into groups to ensure closer work.
- Functional teams include the people who provide services, such as management, analytics, or community relations, to the feature teams.
|Team name||Focus||Point of contact||Current project(s)|
|Anti-Harassment Tools||Technical work in support of the Anti-Harassment Program.||Niharika Kohli||IP Masking|
|Campaigns||Experience of Wikimedia campaigns.||Ilana Fried||Registration|
|Community Tech||Community Wishlist Survey. They also build and improve curation and moderation tools for experienced users, supports bot operators, and more.||Natalia Rodriguez||Real Time Preview for Wikitext|
|Generate Audio for IPA|
|Moderator Tools||Content moderation tool needs, focusing on the needs of medium-sized Wikimedia projects.||Sam Walton||Content moderation on mobile web|
|Trust and Safety Tools||Technical work in support of the Trust and Safety team.||Madalina Ana||Safety Survey|
|Private Incident Reporting System (PIRS)|
|Editing||Improving the core editing tools so that volunteers are able to successfully start and continue contributing to Wikimedia projects.||Peter Pelberg||Talk Pages Project|
|Growth||A set of features to encourage newcomers to make edits, and improve new editor retention.||Kirsten Stoller||Mentorship|
|Add a link|
|Add an image|
|Web||Reading experiences on the web for the Wikimedia projects.||Olga Vasileva||Desktop Improvements|
|Inuka||Experiences to Wikipedia readers in emerging markets, driving increased adoption and retention of Wikipedia in areas where internet use is rapidly growing.||Purity Waigi||Wikistories|
|Wikipedia for KaiOS|
|Language||Internationalization and localization tools for Wikimedia sites on web and mobile.||Pau Giner||Content and Section translation|
|Android||Experience for searching and reading Wikipedia content.||Jazmin Tanner||Communication improvements|
|iOS||Experience for searching and reading Wikipedia content.||Joshua Minor||Codebase|
|Abstract Wikipedia||A new type of wiki where community-written software functions can transform language-independent Wikidata structured data into Wikipedia-like prose articles.||Denny Vrandečić||Wikifunctions|
|Content Transform||Content formats (such as wikitext and HTML) and transformations between them.||Sérgio Lopes||Code repositories|
|Design Systems||Build out the new Codex component library and improve front-end infrastructure in MediaWiki so that teams can build modern user interfaces more easily and consistently.||Desiree Abad||Codex component library|
|Modern user interfaces for all users|
|Vue 2 > Vue 3 migration|
|Search||Responsible for maintaining and enhancing the various Search features and APIs for MediaWiki.||Mike Pham||Wikidata query service|
|API:Search and discovery|
|Structured Data||Content on wikitext pages structured in a way that will be machine-recognizable and -relatable, to make reading, editing, and searching easier and more accessible.||Alexandra Ugolnikova||Image Suggestions|
|Platform Value Streams|
|API Platform||Facilitates self-service application development using Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).||Virginia Poundstone||API Gateway|
|Universal API Management|
|Data Platform||Serves data producers and data consumers.||Luke Bowmaker||Scheduled Dataset Creation|
|Event Driven Dataset Creation|
|Expedition||Applying basic MVC conception to separate concerns and drive discussion of refactoring.||Expedition|
|Metrics Platform||A suite of services, standard libraries, and APIs for producing and consuming data of all kinds from Wikimedia Foundation products.||Emil Chetty||Metrics Platform|
|Data Engineering||Build out and maintain the self service components that make up the Shared Data Platform.||Data Pipelines as a Service|
|Kubernetes Data Infrastructure|
- Community Relations Specialists – focus on collaboration and communication with communities about product development, user-facing changes, and roll-outs.
- Design – focus on user experience design and research, information architecture, human-computer interaction, visual design, and usability experience.
- Engineering Management – focus on technical practices and engineering mentorship.
- Product Analytics – deliver the usage statistics to support informed decision-making.
- Product Management – define what will be built and set the strategy for the problems the team focuses on.
- Program Management and Technical Program Management – focus on team practices, facilitate team meetings and communication between the teams.
- Selena Deckelmann: Chief Product and Technology Officer
- Desiree Abad: Director, Product Platform
- Adam Baso: Director, Engineering
- Runa Bhattacharjee: Director, Engineering
- Amanda Bittaker: Senior Manager, Program Management
- Sai Suman Cherukuwada: Director, Engineering
- Danny Horn: Director, Product Management
- Erica Litrenta: Senior Manager, Community Relations
- Marshall Miller: Group Product Manager
- Joshua Minor: Group Product Manager
- Margeigh Novotny: Vice President, Product Design
- Denny Vrandečić: Head of Special Projects
- Shari Wakiyama: Director, Product
- Kate Zimmerman: Director, Data Science