- Annual Plan for Product 2017-2018
- Annual Plan for Product 2016-2017
- 2016 Product Summary
- 2015 Product & Technology Review
- Product Principles
- Technical Collaboration Guidance
- Community Process Principles
- Design Statement of Purpose
- Data and research information for products
- Monthly Research Showcases.
- Community Health Initiative
- Structured Data on Commons
- New Readers — on-going research that focuses on understanding potential Wikimedia readers in countries where access to the Internet is quickly growing.
- New Editor Experiences
- Audience Research
An Audience team covers a set of features developed according to specific user flows and needs.
We build collaborative, inclusive tools for creating and editing free knowledge.
- Page: Contributors
- Phabricator task boards: #Contributors-Team; #Collaboration-Team-Current, #ContentTranslation-Release8, #Parsoid, #VisualEditor
- Teams: Editing, Collaboration, Language, Parsing plus Design and Product
|Metric||Two-year trend|| Monthly
|M/M ±||Y/Y ±|
|Monthly active editors||84 400||6.1%||–1.2%|
|—of which new (first-month)||16 700||15.9%||–9.4%|
|—of which second-month||3 350||–19.2%||–10.2%|
|—of which existing||64 400||5.5%||1.7%|
|Monthly non-bot edits||20.4 M||2.2%||–18.0%|
|Monthly mobile edits||1 152 000||12.8%||27.9%|
|—as % of non-bot edits||5.7%|
|New editor retention rate||5.4%||–27.2%||5.7%|
For further documentation, see Contributors/Metrics.
Active editors did well this month, largely due to January’s normal seasonal increase. Existing active editors hit their highest level since January 2013. New active editors recovered from last month’s dramatic drop, but this does not alter their long-term decline.
- Neil Patel Quinn is supporting the New Editor Experiences project for Contributors; he is currently helping lead the focus selection and idea generation stage.
- The filters on Recent Changes beta feature now lets you save sets of filters, with further improvements coming soon.
- The Linter tool, which helps editors find and highlight wikitext errors, is now available on all wikis except the largest (like MediaWiki.org – see the linting index page). We will release it to the remaining wikis soon, once performance concerns are addressed.
- Improvements to Content Translation to replace its editor with the same platform as the visual editor continue.
- In the visual editor, you can now see visual diffs as you edit. We will improve and expand it in the weeks ahead.
- Our work on deploying Compact Language Links out of beta (T66793) is nearing completion. It is available to everyone on all wikis except two Wikipedias, English and German. (T136677)
- Our work to release the visual editor to all Wikipedias is now almost complete. There are now outstanding only the eight multi-script Wikipedias (including Chinese) which are technologically blocked, on which we're working with Parsing. There are also three other Wikipedias in incomplete deployment states (English, Spanish and Dutch), for which work is paused pending the new wikitext editor release, and won't resume until some point, probably in mid-to-late-2017.
We build exceptional learning and reading experiences for the sum of all knowledge.
- Page: Readers
- Lead: Toby Negrin
- Phabricator task board: #reading
- Teams: Mobile Apps, Desktop & Mobile Web, Reading Infrastructure
- Reading code responsibility
|Pageviews[r 1][r 2]||16.2 B||-4.1%|
|… Desktop[r 1][r 2]||7.4 B||-12.7%|
|… Mobile Web[r 1][r 2]||8.4 B||+3.3%|
|… Global North[r 1]||12.6 B||-5.5%|
|Unique Devices (all Wikipedias)||1.55B||N/A|
|Android Uniques||5.22 m||N/A|
|Android Installs||15.9 k/d||-11.3%|
|iOS Downloads[r 3]||4.4 k/d||-20.3%|
|Updated February 13, 2018. For some analysis of longer-term trends, see also the quarterly core Readers metrics overview for Q2 and other Readership metrics reports.
As usual at this time of the year, traffic increased this month after the holidays. The year-over-year decrease in total pageviews of 4.1% is smaller than in the last two months (6.3% and 6.1%), but still notable. Apparent causes include the rollout of the page previews feature and a decline in Google referrals; see the recent quarterly Readers metrics presentation for more detail.
Technical work supporting the core community of the Wikimedia projects
Wikidata is a free and open knowledge base that can be read and edited by both humans and machines. This project is maintained by the Software Development & Engineering department at Wikimedia Deutschland.
- Page: Wikidata
- Lead: Lydia Pintscher
- Phabricator bugs & tasks board: #wikidata
- Discussion List: firstname.lastname@example.org
WMDE Fiscal Year 2016
WMDE Fiscal Year 2017