Wikimedia is participating in Outreachy Round 17. Internship period runs from December 4th, 2018 to March 4th, 2019.
(borrowed from https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/)
- Sept. 19, 2018 - Outreachy application period opens for applicants and most FOSS communities are listed
- Sept. 24, 2018 - Join the #OutreachyChat on Twitter to ask questions of Wikimedia coordinators, mentors and alums
- Oct. 2, 2018 - Last date for FOSS communities to sign up to participate
- Oct. 9, 2018 - Last date to add new Outreachy internship projects
- Oct. 30, 2018 - Outreachy application period ends for most communities
- Nov. 6, 2018 - Outreachy application period ends for communities with an extended deadline
- Nov. 16, 2018 - Interns are publicly announced at 4pm UTC
Ideas for projects
Projects will be showcased here: https://www.outreachy.org/december-2018-march-2019-outreachy-internships/communities/wikimedia/
|1.||Gueleu S. Farida||Douala, Littoral, Cameroon||Add a new Linter category for Wikimedia wikis||Subramanya Sastry|
|2.||T.Crespy||Buea, South West Region, Cameroon||Create an event setup wizard for Programs & Events Dashboard||Sage Ross and Pratyush Singhal and Urvashi Verma|
|3.||Marty Hernandez Avedon||New York, NY, US||MediaWiki Action API: Documentation improvements to the top 50 most viewed API pages on-wiki||Srishti Sethi, Sarah R.|
|4.||Giselle J||Pittsburgh, PA, US||QA: Automation Testing - port Echo Notification tests to Node.js||Etonkovidova|
|5.||BarbV||San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US||Quality Assurance: Improve and increase test coverage for various Wikimedia projects||Rummana Yasmeen and Etonkovidova|
Recommended steps for current interns
- During the internship period (Dec 4th-Mar 4th)
- Work on your projects under the guidance of mentors.
- Write bi-weekly reports and link them from Updates section and Bi-weekly Reports page.
- When you complete a task other than the coding work, for example, join Zulip, pass an evaluation phase, write a blogpost, make sure to add it to the Updates section. For reference, check previous round page.
- Before the internship period kick-off (Nov 16th-Dec 4th)
- Start communicating with your mentors on refining your project proposal, finalizing deadlines and setting milestones.
- Join Zulip that we will use to share program-related announcements and opportunities for participating in Wikimedia activities.
- (Optional) Upload your profile picture on Wikimedia Commons, and add it below your name in the Accepted projects table.
- (Optional) Stay in touch with Wikimedia community members and help them learn about you more:
Reach out for general questions about Outreachy on the Freenode IRC channel Srishti Sethi (ssethiwikimedia.org).or to the organization administrator