This page is obsolete. It is being retained for archival purposes. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on the information here being up-to-date.
Wikimedia is taking part as a mentoring organization in Outreachy Round 21.
(borrowed from https://www.outreachy.org/apply/project-selection/)
|Aug. 28, 2020 at 4pm UTC||Initial applications open|
|Aug. 31, 2020, 4 p.m. UTC||#OutreachyChat on Twitter|
|Sept. 21, 2020 at 4pm UTC||Initial application deadline|
|Oct. 10, 2020||Project list finalized|
|Oct. 7, 2020 to Oct. 31, 2020||Contribute to projects|
|Oct. 31, 2020
at 4pm UTC
|Final application deadline|
|Nov. 23, 2020 at 4pm UTC||Accepted interns announced|
|Dec. 1, 2020
to March 2, 2021
Recommended steps for accepted interns
Here are some recommended steps for accepted interns before the internship period kick-off:
- Refine your project proposal with guidance from mentors.
- Join Zulip to keep yourself up to date with the announcements related to the program and opportunities for participating in Wikimedia activities.
- Write blog posts (first due by December 1, 2020) in a language you are most comfortable with and add it to the Bi-weekly Reports page.
- Add your updates about non-coding tasks (e.g., writing a blog post, joining Zulip, etc.) in the Accepted projects' Updates section above.
- Setup your MediaWiki user page, link it with your name in the accepted projects section above and keep it up to date with your project work and reports. (e.g., User:Martyav, User:Amrit_sreekumar)
- Stay in touch with Wikimedia technical discussions by subscribing to the mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read stories from across the Wikimedia movement on Wikimedia Foundation’s blog.
- Read stories on Wikimedia technical blog about the technology and software behind running Wikipedia and its sister projects.
- Watch previous videos on Wikimedia technical topics here.
Ideas for projects
- Analyze community authored functions that build Wikipedia infoboxes and more mentored by Adam Baso, Denny Vrandečić
- Analyze 'need help' requests from Wiki Education Dashboard mentored by Sage Ross
- Build a tool for inferring what countries are associated with a given Wikipedia article mentored by Isaac Johnson
- Create a Not Safe for Work (NSFW) media Classifier for Wikimedia Commons mentored by Chaitanya Mittal, Daniyal Abbasi
- Create Machine Learning datasets to measure content reliability on Wikipedia mentored by Diego Saez-Trumper, Miriam Redi
- Evaluate Microsoft Playwright as replacement for our browser automation mentored by Željko Filipin, Soham Parekh, Vidhi Mody
- Refactor Selenium tests and perform cleanup mentored by Vidhi Mody, Željko Filipin, Soham Parekh
- Review and improve Lua documentation on meta and mediawiki mentored by Doug Taylor, Pavithra Eswaramoorthy
Note: Project details will be available on Outreachy site on October 7 2020 and visible to applicants who passed the initial eligibility check.
- Reach out for general questions on the #outreachy21 Zulip chat (preferred), after reading Outreach programs/Zulip.
- Organization administrators for this round are: Pavithra Eswaramoorthy, Gopa Vasanth and Srishti Sethi.
- Ask a technical question in the support places.