Wikimedia has been accepted as a mentoring organization for Outreachy Round 16. Learn application process steps, selection process and responsibilities of a mentor below:
Tentative timeline, borrowed from previous edition:
- February 12 - participating organizations are announced and application system opens
- March 22 - application deadline
- March 22 - May 4 - applicants are encouraged to continue making contributions for the project they applied for; submitted applications are open for editing
- May 4 - accepted projects announced
- May 30 - August 30 - internship period
Ideas for projects
More ideas will be added below soon!
Feedback on how pictures uploaded to Commons get used: statistics, barnstars, light gamification
The Wikimedia Commons Android app allows users to upload pictures from their Android phone or tablet to Wikimedia Commons. Commons is not only the image repository for Wikipedia but an independent project that seeks to document the world with photos, videos, and recordings. One-way communication can become monotonous, so how about a page that shows how the pictures uploaded are being used? The project aims at sharing feedback about uploaded photos, educating people about topic & copyright and adding some gamification to drive engagement.
Skills required Android SDK and UI design, understanding of RxJava, basic knowledge of Wikimedia APIs
More details https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T185036
Education dashboard: Improve support for photo/media contribution campaigns on Wikimedia Programs & Events Dashboard
The Wiki Education Programs & Events Dashboard is a Ruby on Rails + React.js application that helps people organize groups of newcomers to contribute to Wikipedia. It's used by the global Wikipedia Education Program for Wikipedia writing assignments in college and high school classes, the Art + Feminism editathon campaign, and many other thematic in-person and online outreach projects. Photo / multimedia contribution campaigns are one use for the Dashboard, but its support for tracking media contributions is not very good. For this project, you will:
- Design and build a new interface for viewing photo uploads, using React.js
- Conduct user research with Wikimedians who organize photo campaigns to identify and prioritize additional improvements.
- Improve the data flow for continually importing new uploads, using Ruby on Rails.
- Evaluate the new features being developed for the Structured Data on Commons project, and integrate them into the Dashboard where it makes sense to do so
More details https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T189789