Wikimedia has been accepted as a mentoring organization for Outreachy Round 16. Internship period runs from May 30 to August 30, 2018 (see program timeline below).
(borrowed from https://www.outreachy.org/apply/project-selection/)
- February 9 - Most Outreachy mentoring communities and internship projects will be listed
- February 12 to March 22 - Application period
- March 22 to April 23 - applicants are encouraged to continue making contributions for the project they applied for; submitted applications are open for editing
- April 23 - accepted projects announced
- May 14 to August 14 - internship period
|1||New Delhi, India||Improve support for photo/media contribution campaigns on Wikimedia Programs & Events Dashboard||Sage Ross, Jonathan Morgan|| Done Join Zulip
Done Uploaded photograph to Wikimedia Commons
User pageDone Created
Ideas for projects
Feedback on how pictures uploaded to Commons get used: statistics, barnstars, light gamification
The Wikimedia Commons Android app allows users to upload pictures from their Android phone or tablet to Wikimedia Commons. Commons is not only the image repository for Wikipedia but an independent project that seeks to document the world with photos, videos, and recordings. One-way communication can become monotonous, so how about a page that shows how the pictures uploaded are being used? The project aims at sharing feedback about uploaded photos, educating people about topic & copyright and adding some gamification to drive engagement.
Skills required Android SDK and UI design, understanding of RxJava, basic knowledge of Wikimedia APIs
More details https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T185036
Education dashboard: Improve support for photo/media contribution campaigns on Wikimedia Programs & Events Dashboard
The Wiki Education Programs & Events Dashboard is a Ruby on Rails + React.js application that helps people organize groups of newcomers to contribute to Wikipedia. It's used by the global Wikipedia Education Program for Wikipedia writing assignments in college and high school classes, the Art + Feminism editathon campaign, and many other thematic in-person and online outreach projects. Photo / multimedia contribution campaigns are one use for the Dashboard, but its support for tracking media contributions is not very good. For this project, you will:
- Design and build a new interface for viewing photo uploads, using React.js
- Conduct user research with Wikimedians who organize photo campaigns to identify and prioritize additional improvements.
- Improve the data flow for continually importing new uploads, using Ruby on Rails.
- Evaluate the new features being developed for the Structured Data on Commons project, and integrate them into the Dashboard where it makes sense to do so
More details https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T189789