- Annual Plan for Audiences 2018-2019
- Annual Plan for Product 2017-2018
- Annual Plan for Product 2016-2017
- 2016 Product Summary
- 2015 Product & Technology Review
- Product Principles
- Technical Collaboration Guidance
- Community Process Principles
- Design Statement of Purpose
- Data and research information for products
- Monthly Research Showcases
- New Content Program metrics reports.
- Audience Research
- Community Health Initiative
- New Editor Experiences
- نوان پڙھندڙ — on-going research that focuses on understanding potential Wikimedia readers in countries where access to the Internet is quickly growing.
- Structured Data on Commons
- Advanced Mobile Contributions
- Android Editing Features
- Content Translation, V2
- Improve Translate Extension and Translate Wiki process
- iOS Editing
- Visual based mobile editing
- Annual Pan goal: Platform Evolution CDP
- Movement Organizers Study
An Audience team covers a set of features developed according to specific user flows and needs.
We build collaborative, inclusive tools for creating and editing free knowledge.
- Page: Contributors
- Phabricator task boards: #Contributors-Team; #Collaboration-Team-Current, #ContentTranslation-Release8, #Parsoid, #VisualEditor
- Teams: Editing, Collaboration, Language, Parsing plus Design and Product
|Metric||آڪٽوبر 2018||M/M ±||Y/Y ±|
|Total content||195.0 M||1.1%||16.8%|
|—Wikipedia articles||49.2 M||0.4%||5.3%|
|—Commons files||50.5 M||1.1%||17.8%|
|—Wikidata entities||51.5 M||2.3%||37.1%|
|Net new content||2,100,000||28.6%||11.4%|
|New editor retention||6.6%||16.9%||13.3%|
|Global revert rate||7.3%||-3.4%||-16.4%|
|Total edits||43.5 M||12.7%||6.3%|
|—Mobile edits||1.2 M||5.1%||23.2%|
|—Data edits||2.3 M||29.6%||37.4%|
|—File uploads||0.6 M||-29.5%||-4.0%|
|—Other non-bot edits||12.2 M||-1.0%||-8.5%|
Like September, this was an unusually good month for active editors, with all the subcomponents rising year on year. We are currently researching the role that participants in Wiki Education Foundation’s programs are playing in the new active editor and new editor retention metrics; preliminary work suggests that they are having a noticeable effect.
The global revert rate has continued to drop substantially; our hypothesis is that this is due to the continuing rise of mass editing on Wikidata, which inflates the number of edits without increasing the number of reverts.
|Metric||آڪٽوبر 2018||M/M ±||Y/Y ±|
|Global South countries|
|—Reader interactions²||4.31 B||+2%||—³|
|—New editor retention||—⁴||—⁴||—¹|
|—Reader interactions²||708 M||+7%||—³|
|—New editor retention||5.1%||-0.3%||19.3%|
¹ Editor location data is deleted after 90 days, so it is not possible to calculate trends from before the metric was established. Trends started to accumulate in June 2018.
³ The rollout of the page previews feature was completed less than a year ago.
This month, we have updated our definition of Global South to exclude IP addresses that our geolocation database cannot assign to any particular country (“unknown countries”).
This has had a relatively small impact on Global South reader interactions and editors, since unknown countries account for less than 1% of both interactions and editors. However, it has had a very large impact on Global South edits, which declined from 9.05 M last month to 1.98 M this month. The main reason seems to be that the IP addresses used for the Wikimedia Cloud Services platform do not appear in our geolocation database, so bulk edits made on the platform are categorized as from unknown countries.
Overall, the trends this month are as before. Notable continuing trends include:
- The gradual increase in existing active editors. This trend is also reflected in a gradual increase in the monthly number of editors with 100 or more edits per month, also know as very active editors (see graph).
- The decline in newer contributors, which affects a broad spectrum of editors.
- The (continued) growth of mobile contributions.
- The filters on Recent Changes beta feature now lets you save sets of filters, with further improvements coming soon.
- The Linter tool, which helps editors find and highlight wikitext errors, is now available on all wikis except the largest (like MediaWiki.org – see the linting index page). We will release it to the remaining wikis soon, once performance concerns are addressed.
- Improvements to Content Translation to replace its editor with the same platform as the visual editor continue.
- In the visual editor, you can now see visual diffs as you edit. We will improve and expand it in the weeks ahead.
- Our work on deploying Compact Language Links out of beta (T66793) is nearing completion. It is available to everyone on all wikis except two Wikipedias, English and German. (T136677)
- Our work to release the visual editor to all Wikipedias is now almost complete. There are now outstanding only the eight multi-script Wikipedias (including Chinese) which are technologically blocked, on which we're working with Parsing. There are also three other Wikipedias in incomplete deployment states (English, Spanish and Dutch), for which work is paused pending the new wikitext editor release, and won't resume until some point, probably in mid-to-late-2017.
We build exceptional learning and reading experiences for the sum of all knowledge.
- Page: Readers
- Lead: Toby Negrin
- Phabricator task board: #reading
- Teams: Mobile Apps, Desktop & Mobile Web, Reading Infrastructure
- Reading code responsibility
|Interactions[r 1][r 2][r 3]||16.7 B||N/A[r 4]|
|—Pageviews[r 5][r 3]||15.1 B||+3%|
|… Desktop[r 5][r 3]||6.5 B||-6%|
|… Mobile Web[r 5]||8.4 B||+12%|
|—Desktop previews[r 1]||1.64 B||N/A[r 4]|
|—Global South[r 1][r 2][r 3][r 6]||4.31 B||N/A[r 4]|
|Unique Devices (all Wikipedias)||1.61 B||+13%|
|Android Uniques(August)||4.74 M||-14.54%|
|Android Installs (August)||17.31 k/d||3.44%|
|iOS Downloads[r 7] (August)||3.1 k/d||-56.18%|
|Updated October 22, 2018. For some analysis of longer-term trends, see also the quarterly core Audiences metrics overview for Q3 and other Readership metrics reports. More information about the Android app's metrics can be found in this overview.
We continue to see a notable year-over-year increase in pageviews, although a bit smaller this month (3% compared to 4% in August).
As before, keep in mind that the decrease in desktop pageviews is partly due to the deployment of the page previews feature over the course of the 2017/18 fiscal year.
Unique devices also increased year-over-year like in previous months, but this metric might be more susceptible to artifacts that decrease the accuracy of such longer-term trend assessments.
Technical work supporting the core community of the Wikimedia projects
Technical Program Management
A team in Audiences dedicated to guiding delivery processes and facilitating team health through good practices.
Lead: Grace Gellerman
Wikidata is a free and open knowledge base that can be read and edited by both humans and machines. This project is maintained by the Software Development & Engineering department at Wikimedia Deutschland.
- Page: Wikidata
- Lead: Lydia Pintscher
- Phabricator bugs & tasks board: #wikidata
- Discussion List: email@example.com
WMDE Fiscal Year 2016
WMDE Fiscal Year 2017