Google Summer of Code/2010
(Redirected from Summer of Code 2010)
This page is obsolete. It is being retained for archival purposes. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on any information on this page.
The Wikimedia Foundation will be taking part in the Google Summer of Code 2010 (Archived 2011-03-16 at the Wayback Machine).
2010-07-12: Mid-term evaluations due on Friday (2010-07-16)
- Summer of Code wiki: http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/WikiStart
- FAQ: http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs (Archived 2010-03-23 at the Wayback Machine)
- Mentor guide: http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/Introduction
This section is for projects that have been given a slot from Google for this year's Summer of Code. Thanks to all the others who applied as well.
Extension management platform
- Mentor: Brion Vibber
- Student: Jeroen De Dauw
- Goal: Creating an awesome extension management platform for MediaWiki, facilitating the installation, updating, removal and configuration of extensions.
- Student application: User:Jeroen_De_Dauw/GSoC2010/Proposal
- Status: Requests for comment/Distribution and deployment
Improve metadata support
- Mentor: Chad Horohoe
- Student: Brian Wolff
- Goal: Improve metadata support for uploaded media in mediawiki by displaying embedded IPTC and XMP metadata
- Student application: User:Bawolff/GSoC2010
- Status: User:Bawolff/GSoC2010/Status (WP Signpost summary)
General RDF export/import in Semantic MediaWiki
- Mentor: Denny Vrandecic
- Student: Samuel Lampa
- Goal: Extend the import/export functionality of Semantic MediaWiki (SMW) to allow also full, general RDF import.
- Student application: User:SHL/GSoC2010
- Status: User:SHL/GSoC2010/Status
- Mentor: Yaron Koren
- Student: Sanyam Goyal
- Student application: User:Sanyamgoyal/GSoC2010
- Status: User:Sanyamgoyal/GSoC2010/Status
Wikisource Legal Tool
- Mentor: Ariel Glenn
- Student: Stephen LaPorte
- Goal: Creating a tool to format judicial decisions, legal scholarship, and statutes for Wikisource.
- Student application: User:Slaporte/GSoC2010
- Status: User:Slaporte/GSoC2010/Status
Reasonably efficient interwiki template transclusion
- Mentor: Roan Kattouw
- Student: Peter Potrowl
- Goal: The aim is to allow MediaWiki users to insert (transclude) templates from a wiki to another on WikiMedia Foundation (WMF) wikis (Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, etc.).
- Student application: User:Peter17/GSoC2010
- Status: User:Peter17/GSoC2010/Status (WP Signpost summary)
Below is the full list of mentors for Google Summer of Code 2010. Even those that aren't listed above are available to help out when needed.
- Yaron Koren
- Rob Lanphier
- Siebrand Mazeland
- Trevor Parscal
- Brion Vibber
- Ariel Glenn
- James Salsman
- Andrew Garrett
- Chad H.
- Tim Alder (already has a student and a project)
- Denny Vrandecic (for SMW-related topics)
- Daniel Herzig (for SMW-related topics)
- Ioannis Paparrizos (for SMW-related topics)
Every GSoC mentor organisation has a so called "org admin". This person deals with Google as the primary contact person for the organisation. For the GSoC 2010 this is RobLa.