The original proposal of the goups' name was MediaWiki Cooperation, but it was renamed in the official recognition process to MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group. Thus our new working space is MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group. The official recognition took place on November 11, 2014.
MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group
We are MediaWiki developers, admins, users, consultants, and hosting providers who cooperate in order to improve the software and advocate the needs of MediaWiki users outside the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) and its projects.
Areas of collaboration
- Communication and coordination among MediaWiki users. We will be a nexus of support for MediaWiki users outside the Wikimedia sites. Users outside the WMF have a lot of experience. Still, there is a need to provide answers to their support questions. These users improve MediaWiki with extensions and share common problems. MediaWiki Cooperation aims to give them a voice to share their experience and coordinate their efforts.
- Coordination between different groups of MediaWiki developers and operators. Core changes can sometimes break widely used extensions, but they also have the potential to greatly improve widely used extensions. Extension developers find bugs, improve core code and simply rely on the core. Operators of wikis outside WMF have their own issues, but could greatly benefit from and contribute to the experience of people running the Wikimedia sites.
- Foster the ecosystem around MediaWiki. We recognize there is a range of developers, consultants, and companies that work with MediaWiki and improve functionality for their customers. We want to build a friendly environment for them to share their work and give them visibility. In addition, we want to make it easier for people seeking professional services and support to be able to find help.
- Facilitate implementation of MediaWiki features. There is a need for features that are not in the core focus of Wikimedia sites, but could greatly improve the user experience of other wikis. Through the MediaWiki Cooperation, we aim to be able to support the development of these features.
- Improve documentation of extensions and MediaWiki visibility. The documentation of MediaWiki, especially its extensions, is a key success factor for its use outside of Wikimedia sites. We aim to improve the quality of documentation and make it easier for outside users to assess the benefit and quality of extensions.
- Contribute to the development of MediaWiki. By watching the proposed changes to MediaWiki and assessing the impact to users outside of the Wikimedia sites, we want to ensure the full utilization of the software by on non-WMF wikis. We will also commit to contributing our improvements and work towards their inclusion in the main product.
We are requesting official recognition from the Affiliations Committee for a period of one year, after which we would become a permanent group.
- 2015-02-13: Seventh online meeting. For meeting details, see here.
- 2015-01-10: Sixth online meeting. For meeting details, see here.
- 2014-11-07: Fifth online meeting on Google Hangout and IRC ( connect). For meeting details, see here. Etherpad is here.
- 2014-10-17: Fourth online meeting on Google Hangout and IRC ( connect). For meeting details, see here. Etherpad is here.
- 2014-09-26: Third online meeting on Google Hangout and IRC ( connect). For meeting details, see here. Etherpad is here.
- 2014-09-05: Second online meeting on Google Hangout and IRC ( connect). For meeting details, see here. Etherpad is here.
- 2014-08-22: First online meeting on Google Hangout and IRC ( connect). For meeting details, see here. Etherpad is here.
- 2014-08-10: Initial meeting of interested people at Wikimania. Etherpad is here.
Communication and Contact
More info on application to Affiliation Committee:
- MediaWiki groups need at least 3 people to be approved.
- I'm a long time MediaWiki contributor, mostly in the field of i18n and L10n. I've been involved in translatewiki.net as a community manager since 2006, and I've been contracting for the Wikimedia Foundation since 2009. siebrand (talk) 13:54, 10 August 2014 (UTC)
- I'm a part of the release team and a contributor to MW. At one time I was a WMF staffer, but now I'm a MW consultant. -- ☠MarkAHershberger☢(talk)☣ 13:55, 10 August 2014 (UTC)
- I'm part of the release team and a contributor to MW. Also I work a lot with corporations using MediaWiki. --Mglaser (talk) 13:59, 10 August 2014 (UTC)
- I'm a long time user of Semantic MediaWiki. --Krabina (talk) 14:24, 10 August 2014 (UTC)
- I support a 3rd-party wiki in a large healthcare organization and would love to be involved. --Ckoerner (talk) 13:31, 12 August 2014 (UTC)
- I am an accountant assisting the release team. --Palexis (talk) 13:05, 18 August 2014 (UTC)
- More promoters welcome! (((One is enough, but all the better if you have 2-3.)))
- Legoktm (talk) 13:53, 10 August 2014 (UTC)
- Mattsenate (talk) 13:54, 10 August 2014 (UTC)
- --RichardHeigl (talk) 13:58, 10 August 2014 (UTC)
- Illuminatusds (talk) 14:02, 10 August 2014 (UTC)
- --Krabina (talk) 14:23, 10 August 2014 (UTC)
- --Nikerabbit (talk) 14:26, 10 August 2014 (UTC)
- --Natkabrown (talk) 22:39, 11 August 2014 (UTC) - I make http://wikitranslate.org/wiki/Russian
- --Manuel Schneider(bla) (+/-) 10:10, 12 August 2014 (UTC) Wikimedian mostly active in chapter tech, also hosting 60+ wikis on my corporate server farm, very interested (but a beginner) in SMW
- --Ckoerner (talk) 13:31, 12 August 2014 (UTC)
- --Cindy.cicalese (talk) 16:10, 19 August 2014 (UTC)
- --Edlira 18:51, 20 August (UTC)
- Multichill (talk) 20:53, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
- —Emufarmers(T|C) 18:55, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
- Baxi69 (talk) 10:19, 3 September 2014 (UTC)
- --Wonder (talk) 00:10, 4 September 2014 (UTC), extension developer, and involved with a large multi-wiki site
- --Friedel Völker (talk) 14:18, 4 September 2014 (UTC)
- --Zellfaze (talk) 16:56, 4 September 2014 (UTC). I spend a lot of time on a wide variety of wikis and run several myself. I'm also an extension developer.
- Addshore (talk) 17:33, 4 September 2014 (UTC)
- Daniel Renfro 19:08, 15 September 2014 (UTC) — longtime (circa phase2) MW user/admin/developer. Run a clustered MW instance for Vistaprint that rivals some small Wikipedias.
- -— Isarra ༆ 23:35, 15 September 2014 (UTC)
- --[[kgh]] (talk) 14:04, 2 October 2014 (UTC)
- Jamesmontalvo3 (talk) 15:11, 2 October 2014 (UTC) -- Extension developer and wiki administrator at NASA JSC
- Darenwelsh (talk) 10:33, 3 October 2014 (UTC) -- Extension developer and wiki administrator at NASA JSC
- Toniher (talk) 11:23, 4 October 2014 (UTC) -- Extension developer and MediaWiki administrator.
- --Wvk (talk) 04:10, 5 October 2014 (UTC)
- Parent5446 (talk) 20:59, 13 October 2014 (UTC) -- MediaWiki core developer
- Michaelgraaf : convener of a user/developer group preparing to create a new fork
- --LawExplorer (talk): I am a refugee from the publishing industry and a relative newcomer to MediaWiki, which I believe offers great possibilities for facilitating comprehension of the multilingual, multicultural terminology of law and for promoting legal and civic literacy around our world.
- tool developer --Ilya (talk) 19:06, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
- --Fustbariclation (talk) 12:10, 26 July 2015 (UTC) user
- Econterms (talk) 16:37, 29 July 2015 (UTC) -- Wikimedia DC chapter board, and advocate of wider MediaWiki use in the US federal govt
- Sabine Melnicki (Zabien) (talk) 20:20, 21 October 2015 (UTC)
- Alexia E. Smith (talk) 19:25, 19 November 2015 (UTC) -- Curse.com, Gamepedia.com, Hydra Platform. Single code base, multiple database wiki farm with 1,000+ wikis.
- SteffenFelix (talk) 13:25, 22 November 2015 (UTC)
- Ray Paseur 14 December 2015 -- Software Developer, Armedia LLC, and MediaWiki developer for USDA, Washington, DC.
- --Woudsma (talk) 03:00, 21 January 2016 (UTC) -- SMW user in business solutions for documentation, interoperability verification, enterprise architecture.
- Software engineer at the Wikimedia Foundation, one of the developers of ProveIt, and a long-time Wikipedia editor. Mattflaschen - Talk 05:23, 24 April 2016 (UTC)
- --Renoir Boulanger a.k.a. RenoirB (related: Talk, WMF Phabricator, WMF Gerrit) — WebPlatform Docs volunteer maintainer, a MediaWiki deployment originally steered by the World Wide Web Consortium
- --JosefAssad (talk) 08:53, 17 May 2016 (UTC) - Independent consultant based in Copenhagen, primarily working with the public sector on high impact low profile open source prototypes.
- --Robert Radke (talk) 14:23, 4 July 2016 (UTC) - Founder of Data Farms . We focus on Semantic MediaWiki and support companies in using the wiki as knowledge base.
- Ziko (talk) 18:18, 6 July 2016 (UTC) - Co founder of Klexikon, a wiki encyclopedia with children as readers (in German)
- G. Brett Miller (talk) 19:35, 26 July 2016 (UTC) - Consult and provide MW and SMW solutions as part of large Enterprise Social Network
- System administrator for Brickimedia and one of the lead UX designers for the wikifarm, also contributes to social tools, a group of extensions to help promote a positive, social atmosphere and communication for wikis. I also am a local admin on Brickipedia (one of the wikis of Brickimedia), working with community management and technical matters. --SamanthaNguyen (talk) 22:36, 25 September 2016 (UTC)
- (((Add your name and sign by using "--~~~~". All the better if you Introduce yourself briefly.)))
- --Nischayn22 (talk) 03:26, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
- Engineering community manager at the Wikimedia Foundation.--Qgil-WMF (talk) 09:09, 3 September 2014 (UTC)
- --Florianschmidtwelzow (talk) 21:47, 11 November 2014 (UTC) MediaWiki extension developer and administrator
- --Hypergrove (talk) 15:58, 13 November 2014 (UTC) - extension developer and administrator
- (((Other people not planning to be members of this group can also express public support))).