For a general overview of Wikimedia related mobile applications, see m:Wikimedia Apps instead!
For general questions about the team's Wikipedia apps, see:
Why make apps?
- Check out our initial blog post to see more of our reasoning for releasing apps.
What is the difference between the apps and the mobile web version of Wikipedia?
The Wikipedia apps provide an optimized and streamlined experience for searching and reading Wikipedia content. Being native apps, they allow articles to load faster, and with less data usage. They also delivers a more responsive interface that is more consistent with other apps that you love. They add features that are not available (or not possible) in the web version of Wikipedia, such as saving pages to the device for later reading, and sharing content and images from articles to your favorite social media apps.
Download the Apps
- Get the Wikipedia iOS app from the App Store.
- Get the Wikipedia Android app from the Google Play Store, from F-Droid, or manually install our current or previous APKs.
- Get the Wikipedia Android App from Amazon Appstore.
Updates and team information
See Wikimedia Apps/Team/iOS for more information about the iOS team and their updates.
See Wikimedia Apps/Team/Android for more information about the Android team and their updates.
- iOS Betas are distributed using the Apple TestFlight system. Join Wikipedia Beta!
- Once enrolled you will receive an invitation when the next beta is available. Tap through on that invitation on your iOS device and follow the instructions to install.
- Install the Wikipedia Beta app from the Google Play Store to experiment and provide feedback on features that are currently in development.
- If you want to be on the bleeding edge, install the Wikipedia Alpha app to see what features we're experimenting with! The new version comes almost every day except weekends & holidays (vacations). Mostly 20:00 – 23:00 CEST.
- The team
- Making requests
- How to become an Android app dev
- Translate strings
- IRC chat channel: connect
The Wikipedia apps team is always excited to engage with users; the newsletter is differently one of the main tools to keep our users updated with our work.
The Wikipedia apps team started to organize office hours with the community users in March 2023 as a two-way communication channel with the users; check our Office Hours for detailed information, announcements, and summaries as well.
Community Collaboration and Meetings
This section highlights the Wikimedia Apps Team's active engagement with various Wikimedian initiatives and user groups. Through regular meetings, we prioritize community feedback and ideas, enriching the apps' features and user experience. This collaborative approach ensures that our apps align with the community's needs and preferences, fostering a stronger and more inclusive platform for all users.
- On March 8th of 2023, the Wikimedia Apps Team had a successful meeting with the Dagbani Wikimedians User Group. This user group is dedicated to promoting Wikimedia projects in Gur/Mabia languages, spoken across West Africa. During the meeting, we provided a tutorial on using the Wikipedia app and editing. The attendees expressed a high interest in offline editing tools, which came as a pleasant surprise to us. We value their feedback and remain committed to collaborating with user groups to improve the Wikipedia app's accessibility and functionality. Together, we promote knowledge sharing and support linguistic diversity through Wikimedia projects.
- On July 30th of 2023, the Wikimedia Apps Team had a fruitful meeting with the Wiki Mentor Africa Initiative. Over 100 participants joined on Zoom, with others watching the YouTube live stream. The presentation covered the Apps' history, roadmap, open questions, feature reviews, and FAQs. Valuable feedback was shared, enhancing the apps' development and user experience. These collaborative engagements are vital to building a more inclusive Wikimedia platform.
The Community Wishlist Survey is an annual survey that allows contributors to the Wikimedia projects to propose and vote for tools and platform improvements.
Community wishlist survey 2022
- The full list of 2022 survey is here and the results that was released during January of 2023 is here.