User:Hareesh Sivasubramanian/GSoC 2014 Implementing To-do list
Setting up a To-do list
- Public URL
- Bugzilla report
- wikitech-l mailing list
Name and contact information
- Hareesh Sivasubramanian
- Tiruchirapalli, India (UTC+5.30)
- Typical working hours
- 8pm to 2am (UTC+5.30) and extended hours during the weekend.
Many projects, including Wikipedia, that use MediaWiki are large repositories of data that are run fully based on individual user contribution. So, it is wise not to miss even a single opportunity when an user could contribute.
For instance, whenever an user sees an issue in an article or a template, he may not be able to fix it right away because he could be busy with some other task. In spite of the user's competence and interest in fixing the issue, he could skip doing it then due to lack of time. And presently there's no mechanism to guarantee that the user will come back to that particular issue to fix it. This means we have lost an opportunity in our common goal of making this community better. So I would like to propose the implementation of a To-Do list that could keep track of all such issues.
Seldom people maintain a to-do list in their own user space. But it is not really convenient in terms of accessibility. The list should be accessible anywhere from the project without navigating from the current page.
I believe that such an option would improve the efficiency of the contributors.
- Possible mentors
The project aims at:
- Providing a simple To-do list to the users who opt in.
- Facilitating the ease of maintaining records of the tasks to be done by an user.
- Improving the efficiency of the contributors by keeping track of the tasks to be done by them, hence minimising the risk of losing an user's contribution just because he forgot to do it.
The project will focus on these things:
- Based on the user preferences, a to-do list will be added to the user's account.
- A button is created in the navigation menu.
- Clicking on it will toggle the To-Do list.
- In addition to the list of actions to be done, the simple list shall also have the feature to add or delete items to the list.
- Regular report
- I shall regularly update the project status through the mailing list(Wikitech-I).
- At each stage of the project, I shall discuss the developments and other details with the mentors.
- I can be contacted through e-mail.
- Education completed or in progress
- Just graduated.
- How did you hear about this program?
- Through a friend at the Centre for Internet and Society, Bangalore, India.
- Will you have any other time commitments, such as school work, another job, planned vacation, etc., during the duration of the program?
- I've finished my grad school and as I'm a freelance web developer, I do not have much commitments.
I've been contributing to Wikipedia for a few months now. As a relatively new user to both MediaWiki and Wikipedia, I'm yet to explore a lot. I have mostly concentrated on creating / translating articles to Tamil language.
Wikidata Contributor profile : Hareesh Sivasubramanian
This project is my first opportunity to bond with an open source organization. I plan to contribute more to the open source community in the coming years.
- Please describe any relevant projects that you have worked on previously and what knowledge you gained from working on them (include links)
- What project(s) are you interested in (these can be in the same or different organizations)?
I wish to concentrate on these:
- Grid system, responsive design.
- Improving the Visual Editor for a better User Interface.
- Adding additional HTML features to the MediaWiki pages based on requirement.