An invite-only video discussion, where decisions are often finalized, generally Wednesday 13:00 USA West coast local time as of this writing. This meeting is often used for grooming the backlog for the TechCom-RFC board. (private minutes)
Present members: Brion, Daniel (chair), Gabriel, Tim, Timo. Kevin is taking notes. Faidon is visiting.
- ArchCom soon to meet Victoria (perhaps Dec 7)
- Robla resigns from ArchCom in the wake of leaving WMF. Daniel is doing the chairing for now.
- Ongoing activity:
- Brion: mobile video
- Gabriel: thumbnail API (Gabriel), ServiceWorkers for the discovery portal
- Tim: replacing tidy
- Timo: oldime table refactoring
- Daniel: experimenting with the Interwiki overhaul, thinking about db schema optimization
- Talking with Faidon about ArchCom scope, progess, and impact. Some key points that came up:
- ArchCom should be more active in providing visions and guidelines, such as high level architecture documents.
- ArchCom should be involved in more of the ongoing development at WMF. People tend to ask ArchCom only if they have to.
- ArchCom should not only get active when asked. ArchCom scrutiny should not be limited to RFC discussions.
- For RFC discussions, we too often focus on easy-to-decide topics with limited impact.
- Lack of ops perspective in ArchCom
- A clearer scope / charter would be helpful
- Role of ArchCom needs to be discussed with our new CTO
- ArchCom has no clear connection to WMF org chart, and no power in resourcing. Platforms (mostly MediaWiki itself) are not well represented in the org chart.
- Up for next week’s IRC discussion: Per-language URLs for multilingual wiki pages (T114662).