Wikimedia Technical Committee/Minutes/2020-09-16
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The minutes from TechCom's triage meeting on 2020-09-16.
Present: Daniel K, Dan A, Giuseppe L, Tim S, Timo T.
Links Recommendations Service
- GL: Idea is to store a blob of wikitext for every page
- What’s best practice for storing derived data that would be invalidated by every edit?
- TS: similar to data pipelines like page content service
- TS: similar to links tables
- DK: have some kind of “slow” page_props.
- TS: will lead to race conditions
- GL: wikitext for every page may mean considerable volume
- DK: might fit the generalized parser cache. Would have to be even more generalized.
- DK: Dependency Engine may solve part of this, though not storage
EventStream needs timestamps
- DA: EventStream needs timestamps, which some event hooks are missing.
- Pass LogEntry objects to relevant hooks?
- DK: adding parameters to hooks is a breaking interface change.
- TS: hook deprecation mechanism should take care of this.
- DA: ArticleDelete hook exposes it already, works well, getTimestamp. Can do for others.
- TT: In light of T212482, be sure to type against a narrower getter-only interface as the set/save methods must not be used at that point.
- DK: That’s a good idea also to enable async hooks, safe to serialize value objects. NonSerializable trait may be useful https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/core/+/625612
Next week IRC office hours
No IRC discussion scheduled for next week.