Architecture committee/2016-08-31

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

An invite-only video discussion, where decisions are often finalized, generally Wednesday 13:00 USA West coast local time as of this writing. This meeting is often used for grooming the backlog for the TechCom-RFC board. (private minutes)

Agenda/Minutes[edit]

Intro section[edit]

10 minutes (starting 21:00 UTC)

  • Action items
    • Last week
      • ACTION: Daniel: send email to wikitech-l asking for WMF help on MCR
      • ACTION: RobLa: prod T589 (rolling migrations? next steps?) (done)
      • ACTION: RobLa: work with CScott on breaking up T43716 (ongoing)
      • ACTION: Brion: comment on T43716 (done)
  • Review last week’s RfC office hour
    • E263 ArchCom RFC Meeting W34: T69223: Schema change for page content language
      • Last call over
  • Update attendee list
    • In attendance: Brion, Daniel, Gabriel, Kevin, Roan, RobLa, Tim, Timo
    • Invited: Brion, Daniel, Gabriel, Kevin, Roan, RobLa, Tim, Timo
    • RSVP
      • yes:
      • no:
      • maybe/unknown:

RFC status update[edit]

20 minutes (starting 21:10 UTC)

Spend roughly 20 minutes ensuring Architecture committee/Status is up-to-date. Checklist of the questions we should answer:

  • Who is chairing the upcoming IRC meeting? T589
  • Conclude last week's "final comment period"? Do we have anything that should enter "final comment"?  Try to get to last call on T589
  • For each upcoming meeting, do we anticipate the RFC moving into "final comment"?
  • Picking an RFC for next week:
    • Phab board triage
      • ArchCom-RfCs board - "Inbox" column
        • (empty)
      • Architecture board - "Discuss at next ArchCom Planning meeting" column
        • https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T143974
          • Cause: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/305211/  together with https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T132707
          • Fix https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/307133/ and folow-up fix https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/307721/
          • ACTION: RobLa will move to “managed outside” column, ping RelEng
      • Other RFCs that had activity this past week:
        • T353: RFC: Vertical writing support
          • mxn} wrote: "Here’s the pull request Yair_rand submitted to CSSJanus, currently blocked on this pull request."
        • T91162: RFC: Shadow namespaces
          • @Yurik, @Legoktm, and @Rical discussed
        • T102476: RFC: Requirements for change propagation
          • I removed myself as the assignee, but remaining as shepherd, and I moved this to the "on track" column.
        • T107595: [RFC Multi-Content Revisions]
          • Daniel is working on T141877
        • T119908: [RfC: Migrate code review / management from Gerrit to Phabricator]
          • Removed myself as assignee, staying on as shepherd
        • T124752: [RFC Expiring watch list entries]
          • Asked about in Scrum-of-Scrums today
        • T139810: RFC: Overhaul the CheckUser extension
          • Prose of RFC now available on mw.org. Many supporting tasks (e.g. T144099) filed
        • T142803: [RFC STUB: Creating a spec for legacy wikitext / future wiki content processing model]
      • Phab activity from recent/upcoming IRC meetings
        • E261: ArchCom RFC Meeting W33: content model storage (2016-08-17, #wikimedia-office)
          • T142980: RFC: Create a content meta-data table
        • E263: ArchCom RFC Meeting W34: T69223: Schema change for page content language (2016-08-24, #wikimedia-office)
          • T69223: Schema change for page content language
        • E266: ArchCom RFC Meeting W35: image and oldimage tables (2016-08-31, #wikimedia-office)
          • T589: RfC: image and oldimage tables
    • ArchComStatus discussion / ArchCom-Has-Shepherd board
      • Brion Vibber
        • Finishing up TMH mobile
        • Next up: Wikitext spec
      • Daniel Kinzler
        • Consolidating revision design stuff.  Discussing schema with Jaime
        • ACTION: Daniel - move conv with Jaime onto a talk page somewhere
      • Gabriel Wicke
        • Page composition using service workers and server-side JS fall-back: aiming to set up demo this week
        • Protect sensitive user-related information with a UserData / auth / session service: Converging on requirements.
      • Rob Lanphier..
        • Working with Subbu
        • Process stuff with Kevin (see my recent changes on mw.org)
      • Roan Kattouw
        • Unburying  :-)  (management stuff)
        • JS API 2nd RFC
        • x-wiki watchlist (will work on this first)
      • Tim Starling
        • Parsing team offsite in October
        • https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/parsing_team_offsite
        • rewrite of parser tests
      • Timo Tijhof
        • img/oldimg
        • prototype for api driven front-end
    • Are responsibilities balanced well between ArchCom members?
    • Which RFCs are listed as "needs triage"?
    • Do we have an RFC selected for next week's meeting?
      • T91162: RFC: Shadow namespaces
        • @Yurik, @Legoktm, and @Rical discussed
        • ACTION Tim: check with Kunal
        • Backup plan: triage

Other business/planning[edit]

20 minutes (starting 21:30 UTC)

  • WikiDev17
    • ACTION: Rob:
  • Next week's ArchCom
  • ACTION: Rob: Follow up on last week’s glitch