- This is the text of the "Multilingualism" section of WikiDev17/Topic ideas as of this writing
How can we make our websites better support languages other than English (and character sets other than Latin)?
Doubling down on Machine Translation
- Annotation service to record fine-grained translation correspondences between wikis over time (not just at the time of first translation)
- Suggestion service to suggest new edits to wiki A when translated text wiki B is modified (or vice-versa)
- Refactoring existing language converter pairs as (sometimes trivial) translation engines, eg cyrillic-to-latin
- Building a translation engine in house, training it with translated wiki pages, improving it over time, etc
- Tightly integrating the translation UX for everyone. More: one community wearing babel fishes / Less: scattered villagers after the Tower of Babel fell.
- Improving harassment/vandalism/civility/inclusiveness/diversity mechanisms to handle these larger cross-cultural communities.
- i18n of global pages, global templates, etc. May need mechanisms to allow translation of comments, for example.
Fora: translators-l, translatewiki.net