Minerva Neue (Minerva)
Release status: stable
Depends on Extension:MobileFrontend
Translate the Minerva Neue skin if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix;|
Minerva is the skin that serves mobile traffic for Wikimedia projects across the world. Compared to other skins e.g. Vector it provides a much more simplistic user interface and is much more aggressive about optimising for performance so that it can cater for mobile users.
It is optimised for use with MobileFrontend as the wgMFDefaultSkinClass and at the time of writing this is a hard dependency.
- Download and install the MobileFrontend extension.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadSkin( 'MinervaNeue' ); $wgDefaultSkin = 'minerva';
- Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the skin is successfully installed. Done - Navigate to
To users running MediaWiki 1.24 or earlier:
The instructions above describe the new way of installing skins using
wfLoadSkin(), since MediaWiki 1.25. If you need to install this skin in earlier versions, instead of
wfLoadSkin( 'MinervaNeue' );, you need to use:
(To run an skin on an earlier release, you may need to download the version of it tagged for that release from Special:SkinDistributor.)
- Note: Setting
$wgDefaultSkin = 'minerva'will make Minerva your default skin even in Desktop view. Ignore this line and instead use
$wgMFDefaultSkinClass = "SkinMinerva";if you want only MobileFrontend to use the Minerva skin.
Make sure the call to wfLoadSkin is installed after the call to wfLoadExtension.
Desktop vs mobile modes
When operating in mobile mode the following features are available:
- Sections can be collapsed and expanded
- The menu contains different options e.g Special:Preferences is available on desktop
- MediaWiki:Mobile.css (for mobile mode) or MediaWiki:Common.css (for desktop mode) will be loaded.
- Various pages are optimised for mobile e.g. Special:Watchlist (compare desktop vs mobile)
The desktop mode of the site is experimental. If you see a bug, patches are appreciated.
When operating in desktop mode there are various issues that we are working towards fixing. Your patches and help are welcomed.
Questions and answers
If you have a question not answered by the page - please feel free to use the talk page to raise them.
Why does it depend on MobileFrontend?
We're working to fix this and have a whole project dedicated to it. Your patches and help are welcomed.