This is a page for collecting opinions about the Global templates proposal.
If you read the proposal and just agree to it, please sign below. If you disagree with something, write it here or on the proposal's talk page.
This is not a vote. The decision about this proposal will not be made just by counting how many people are for it or against it. It is not a part of Community Wishlist Survey or any other outreach or planning process. If this project is implemented, it will be a significant change in how the software on Wikimedia projects works, so it's important to see that there is wide community consensus before going forward with it.
Tell your wiki friends about this page and invite them to express their opinion, too. This proposal shouldn't be "owned" by just one person or a small group, but by the whole Wikimedia community.
I read the proposal and I think that it is a good idea
Please sign below if you think that this is an important problem to solve, and if you think that the proposed solution (short version, long version) is good. If you think that the direction is generally good, but you have some minor corrections, please indicate this, too. You can write in any language.
- Support, as the author of most of the proposal :) --Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 19:46, 25 October 2019 (UTC)
- Support solves the most common challenge in new and small wikis – Susannaanas (talk) 13:39, 30 October 2019 (UTC)
- Support Robin van der Vliet (talk) 13:54, 30 October 2019 (UTC)
- Support Readers do expect some kind of standarization among Wikipedias. This is a clear step on the right way. B25es (talk) 16:02, 30 October 2019 (UTC)
- Support Ainali (talk) 16:43, 30 October 2019 (UTC)
- Support --Frhdkazan (talk) 06:50, 5 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support This is an important change that would make life a lot easier both for people writing templates, and those using them. It's long overdue! Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 10:38, 5 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support As a person who met this problem on several occasions in different Wikimedia projects, I think it would be quite useful, especially for smaller Wikipedia editions. Drbug (talk) 14:30, 5 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Of course. Templates on meta-wiki global userpages does work globally. And templates in file pages on Commons too. Masumrezarock100 (talk) 14:32, 5 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support --Kaganer (talk) 17:29, 5 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Shai-WMIL (talk) 09:54, 7 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Ruti-WMIL (talk) 08:09, 10 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support WikiLester (talk) 09:18, 10 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Bekmaw (talk) 11:59, 11 November 2019 (UTC)
- STRONG support --Sannita (talk) 09:43, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support--Ferdi2005 (talk) 15:42, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Excellent proposal. -- Dave Braunschweig (talk) 15:44, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support as an admin of a small Wiki. That may be helpful --Sciking (talk) 16:17, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support as I would develop a Wiki which currently is devoid of any template or infobox. Taking some of the most developed ones could be very great. Sandrino 14 (talk) 16:28, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support--Dome (talk) 17:16, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support --GC85 (talk) 20:20, 29 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support strongly. I think this would be really helpful for every small wiki. Also it will make the cross wiki collaboration much simpler.--Lemure Saltante (talk) 21:12, 29 November 2019 (UTC)
- STRONG support Without templates the MediaWiki software is incomplete and for third parties to implement a featureful wiki can be extremely challenging. --Rob Kam (talk) 15:34, 2 December 2019 (UTC)
- STRONG support This would be a vital tool to the growth of underresourced wikis and repairing global knowledge equity.--Pharos (talk) 20:27, 2 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support Importing all the needed stuff in a newly created project is a pain in the ass, and something fundamental is always missing. --Ruthven (talk) 09:50, 4 December 2019 (UTC)
- STRONG support I've wondered about this for years. Outstanding idea and explication of the idea in the proposed specification! Libcub (talk) 06:18, 13 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support --94rain Talk 07:41, 13 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support --Sahaquiel9102 (talk) 14:57, 24 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support أدعم هذا المقترح بشدة. Dyolf77 (talk) 15:29, 24 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support Would really be useful and most especially to new and emerging wikis. Ammarpad (talk) 16:52, 24 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support. This would be really helpful for every mall wiki. Mahuton Mah3110 (talk) 00:00, 25 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support. Особенно понравилось второе предложение о том, что для локальных вики ничего не изменится. На самом деле, улучшение при оставлении прежних полных прав - очень правильный шаг. Спасибо разработчикам! HalanTul (talk) 00:24, 26 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support. Uziel302 (talk) 15:57, 2 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support. Actually, in cawiki we're working in this line. --Amadalvarez (talk) 07:30, 3 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support Obviously. There shouldn't be any opposition, especially for those who go to multiple wikis with multiple languages. —Eihel (talk) 18:55, 3 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support Complete support. I was actually working on auto template translations for a while, and this should be the way to go.--Khutuck (talk) 15:27, 19 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support of course, since this would make life easier for template maintainers and make things more consistent across the wikis. — AfroThundr (u · t · c) 18:07, 24 January 2020 (UTC)
- Especially when communities have a choice of participating or not this seems like a great feature. 2001:984:F34D:1:29CC:DBF4:7704:4F57 16:56, 27 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support with appreciation for ironing out technicalities to address concerns, and making it very flexible, which means powerful, without changing our current local setups. PC-XT (talk) 00:08, 29 January 2020 (UTC)
I read the proposal. Let me explain why it is a bad idea
It's totally fine to disagree with this proposal. It should only be implemented if there is a wide consensus for it. Before signing below, please make sure that you've read at least the short version of the solution proposal, and please explain what is the problem with it. You can write in any language.
- I read Global templates/Proposed specification, short version and I think that it's a bad idea because... --(your signature)