Wikimedia technical documentation: friends of the docs
Friends of the docs is a group that is open to all members of the Wikimedia technical community who are interested in advocating for better technical documentation for Wikimedia projects.
The group meets approximately monthly. Future dates to be determined.
Working together as a community, we aim to:
- identify top priorities to improve and elevate MediaWiki technical documentation,
- create standard requirements and processes for creating new tutorials and other technical documents,
- update and refine existing technical documentation, and
- identify and support advocates for better technical documentation.
The scope of the Group is not static. The goal is to evolve and grow over time, as we propose, experiment, learn, and apply our learning.
Contact and coordination
The talk page will be used for our primary coordination. It is also a place to suggest potential future focuses.
Suggest other potential future focuses in the talk page.
Otherwise, our primary coordination takes place via the talk page.
This group follows the Special Interest Groups governance recommendations.
- Conversations and Community: The Social Web for Documentation Anne Gentle
- Any friend of the docs is a friend of mine: Cultivating a community of documentation advocates Heather Stenson
- Participant criteria
- Participants are people with experience or interest managing technical documentation, Cloud Services infrastructure, and developer onboarding.
- Prospective participants should email Sarah R. to apply: srodlundwikimedia.org
- Meeting cadence
Historical meeting minutes
The group was formerly a membership based special interest group that applied a process of auditing, extension, review, and iteration to Wikimedia technical documentation, but was limited to improving Scoring Platform team and Cloud Services documentation. In October 2019, the group was renamed to Friends of the docs.
Meetings from when the group was the Technical Document (Re)working Group
- Technical Document Re-working Group/Resources, Further reading links
- Technical Document Re-working Group/Technical Communication Outreach and Events
- Suggested task lists: