Wikimedia technical documentation: Friends of the Docs/Meetings/2020-12-02
Attendees: Alex Paskulin, Gbadebo Bello, Sarah R, Dan Shick, Ibrahim Hamzat, Ebube Okocha, Oluwatobiloba, Ajibola Akelebe, Chukwudi Marvis, Oliver Nshimiyimana, Vuyanzi Glorious, Sayo Akinruli, Habeeb Shopeju, Olawale Esan, Pavithra Eswaramoorthy, Akinsola Adefolahan
- Evaluating document quality using a Yes/No feedback gadget: Discuss how to improve the gadget to increase the number of responses and impact of the data
- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T195119 - Create user feedback gadget for technical documentation on Wikitech pages
- https://web.archive.org/web/20200514162123/https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Main_page - Gadget on the WayBack machine
- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T248892 - Look into eventlogging data for the user feedback gadget for technical docs whether it's "useful"
- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/P12946 - Pages where the gadget was active
- Location on the page
- Having the gadget at the bottom of the page could be resulting in low response rates.
- It could be moved to the left sidebar or as a floating element on the page.
- Data storage
- Since data can only be stored for 90 days, we would need to assign someone to summarize and create a report every 90 days.
- Next steps: Evaluate different approaches based on location and development effort required
- Question: Is it possible for someone to provide multiple data points?
- Presentation from Gbadebo Bello about his work on Wikimedia documentation for Google Season of Docs
- Debo created templates to help tech writers get started with different genres of documentation: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Documentation/Technical_documentation_templates_and_suggestions
- Debo also worked on a self-service review process for tech writers to get review for their documentation and for documentarians and subject matter experts to help review the docs: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Documentation/Documentation_Review_Processes
- Weekly notes for each task: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T262918
- Information about outreach programs