Extension talk:Media Viewer/About
- 1 Why does Media Viewer appear again?
- 2 Please Please Please
- 3 What is the Media Viewer?
- 4 More details button
- 5 I hate the About | Discussion | Help links
- 6 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Kumamoto_earthquakes#/media/File:Topographic_northern_kyushu.png
- 7 https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Protein_translation.gif#/media/File:Protein_translation.gif
- 8 Hi
- 9 Wrong transcription
- 10 Media viewer is clunky
- 11 Don't offer to "Open in Media Viewer" for unsupported types
Why does Media Viewer appear again?
I do not know how often I've disabled the Media Viewer. It appears regularly even though I do not delete cookies. Please provide a means to deactivate it permanently. It's really annoying.
- Agreed. Every few days the Media Viewer is back. I don't delete cookies, I don't mess with my browser or switch browsers, but every few days the Media Viewer feature is back. Either your server doesn't recognize its own cookies or it's on purpose to try to make the media viewer look more popular than it is. This is precisely why it should be opt-in only. I don't want it yet you're always forcing it on me. 5:15 17 March 2016 (UTC)
- Me too. I hate the media viewer. The old way was much better. Don't even get me started on how bad the mobile interface for images is. 22.214.171.124 18:30, 22 March 2016 (UTC)
Please Please Please
Please Please Please let me know how i can get rid of this viewer!!! In the beginning we had both pages and categories. Then Categories became obligatory. And now I have to thumb image by image through a category. I wonna see the thumbnails of a category or page again. Please please please let me see a list of thumbnails again, so that I don't have to browse through all pics one by one. Please also gimme the normal picture back, instead of the viewer, so that I dont have to search for a button where i can download, but simply can right click and choose "save image as" for the highest resolution, instead of doing several clicks before i can finally download an image.
What is the Media Viewer?
My Browser can show, enlarge, and download Media. Why wasting time and money for a Media Viewer?
- Ah that's easy to explain. There are some people in the Wikipedia organisation who have friends outside the organisation, they're all essentially without talent, but they were in need in a major way of additional funding. Does that answer your question?
In addition, the functions mentioned not bring the desired result. If I were a part of the image from an image viewer Meida magnify covers. It it a shame when a tool deteriorates the normal functions of the browser.
- Unbelievable. After all this time, after all the documented complaints, bugs, etc, this 'piece of work' is still around. When I click on 'More details' it goes back to Wikimedia's standard image display and file summary. Sort of like a 5th wheel, put there by a couple of apparent petty dictator types at the Foundation who insist on putting their 'pet project' in everyone's face in complete defiance of editors (without whom Wikipedia overall would not exist) and in total disregard of all the bugs that have been brought to their attention, repeatedly. -- Gwillhickers (talk) 22:12, 24 April 2016 (UTC)
"More details about this file" or German "Weitere Einzelheiten" is not the correct text for the user searching for the commons page - this is the link for the people who whishes the more comlicated and more informative page and who will understand the file description pages, therefore some more text is nessesary for this kind of user.
If someone is not satisfied with the things, the Mediaviewer shows him, this is a guy who hates pages with the Mediaviewer design! It is a user who likes pages containing much information and much written text.
I know that many people simply don't understand file description pages. But in fact I don't understand this, as to me the first time I read such a page I understood everything whithout thinking about it.
If I am a new user, I hate pages containing some symbols to click on, but no text explaining what the symbols are for - you have to try each button, as no text is given. Additionally I read a file description page in some seconds, but need a minute to get the same information with the Media Viewer, as everything I may need is some clicks away or will move when I touch it. And usually I am searching for the bit of information the normal user never thinks of. If I search for something special on a file description page I usually see it in the very moment I look first on the page, one look and I have it. With the Mediaviever - twenty clicks and I know it is not there and I need the file description page.
Therefore at the end of the page, where most people don't look, there should be a line starting with the Symbol and "More details about this file" or German "Weitere Einzelheiten" and than explaining that you find a editable file description page, with more information and categories containing similar images and gallery pages. This is a link that should have some text, as the ones searching for this link are the readers and they are not the clickers! They don't need bigger buttons they need more text.
They look like they go to some page related to the image, like the image description and talk page. But instead they go to the Media Viewer pages and that's extremely counter-intuitive.
I don't understand this map--it doesn't look like the earth.--126.96.36.199 18:36, 16 April 2016 (UTC)
Does that one protein have to be so phallic?
Is Everyone still alive?
- I've got bad news: No. Even you are going to die eventually (although I believe some who are alived will be raptured to the Heavens).--188.8.131.52 18:53, 21 April 2016 (UTC)
- I'm still alive, but I gave up arguing about this unsatisfactory piece of software ages ago. I disabled it so long ago that I had virtually forgotten that it ever existed. LynwoodF (talk) 12:10, 1 May 2016 (UTC)
The colophon shown is from the Sachsenspiegel. However, what is given as "the text reads" is not a transcription of the colophon shown but obviously of the one of Formulare und deutsch rhetorica.
Transcription of the colophon shown:
Chye endet sich der sachsenspiegel mitt ordnung des rechten den der erwirdig in got vater und herr Theodoricus von bockßdorf bischof zu neünburg säliger gecorrigieret hat. Gedruckt und volendt von Anna Rügerin in der keyserlichen stat Augspurg am oftermontag nächst vor Johannis do man zalt nach Cristi gepurt MCCClxxxiiii jar
Media viewer is clunky
How do I look at pictures the normal way? When I clicked on one of the small pictures in an article my first impression was that I had left wikipedia. When I click on "More details" it takes you right back to the normal wikipedia image. Why is this viewer even here? Can I disable it?
Don't offer to "Open in Media Viewer" for unsupported types
Hi there, thanks for a great extension. I understand that PDF, MP3 file types are not supported yet. If so, I would suggest to *not* offer the "Open in Media Viewer" button in the file page for such unsupported files, because at the moment all I see is a rather confusing error message:
Sorry, the file cannot be displayed There seems to be a technical issue. You can retry or report the issue if it persists. Error: File does not exist: File:Fileicon-pdf.png
Note that the file I was trying to open has a completely different name, so the file does exist (I can download it), but the error is bogus. Thanks. 184.108.40.206 12:40, 9 June 2016 (UTC)
- Uhm... it's a private wiki, but I took a screenshot. How do I upload a file here please? I tried to create an account, but no luck... Thanks. Hopefully Acceptable Username (talk) 18:43, 9 June 2016 (UTC)