I just created a CentOS 7 VM (release 7.6.1810) and successfully installed mediawiki. I did have to upgrade my php from 5.4 to 7.2 per the request of the software during configuration.
During the upgrade process, I was required to update php 5.4 to 7.2 and this was done successfully from the ius repository.
Per the page: Extension:LDAP Authentication/AD Configuration Examples I yum installed php72u-ldap:
rpm -qa|grep php72u-ldap
Per the page: Special:ExtensionDistributor I downloaded the LdapAuthentication tar file and installed it using the command "tar -xzf LdapAuthentication-REL1_32-e2cab88.tar.gz -C /var/www/html/mediawiki/extensions" per instructions on the page https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:ExtensionDistributor?extdistname=LdapAuthentication&extdistversion=REL1_32
I've verified that the file /etc/php.d/20-ldap.ini has the ldap extension:
[root]# cat /etc/php.d/20-ldap.ini
; Enable ldap extension module
and that the module loads:
[root]# php -m |grep -i ldap
I've tried using the most simple LDAP configuration from the page : Extension:LdapAuth/Configuration#$wgLdapAuthMapGroups to see if I can at least hit my LDAP server.
I started a tcpdump: tcpdump port ldaps -i ens3 -X -s 1024 and host 192.168.??.?? (edited for security) but it doesn't look like the mediawiki software ever sends a request to my server.
For my configuration in the LocalSettings.php file, I started with the following:
$wgLdapAuthServers = 'SERVER1,SERVER2,SERVER3';
$wgLdapAuthBindDN = 'MY_BIND_DN_HERE';
$wgLdapAuthBindPass = 'PASSWORD_FOR_BIND_DN';
where $wgLdapAuthServers = 'the ip of my ldap server'
$wgLdapAuthBindDN = 'cn=directory manager'
wgLdapAuthBindPass = 'my directory manager password'
I was hoping with this global/generic config, I'd at least see a reqest sent from my mediawiki server to my LDAP server but I don't see any traffic.
I should note that I did follow the page: Extension:LDAP Authentication/Requirements#Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora and add certificat trusts.
I haven't been able to get the debug option to work. I can add the lines:
$wgLDAPDebug = 1;
$wgDebugLogGroups["ldap"] = "/var/tmp/debug.log"
But if I specify the variable $wgDebugLogGroups["ldap"] , the mediawiki page doesn't load.
I'm sure I'm missing the obvious but was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.