Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20191030

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


2019-10-30[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Holiday_List
How to do it
  • November 1 (All Saints' Day): Željko, Antoine holiday
  • November 8–10: WikiCon North America (James)
  • November 11 (Veterans' Day): US Staff
  • November 12–15: TechConf19
  • November 16–20: Offsite
  • November 21–30: Jeena
  • November 25–29: Dan
  • November 28–29 (Thanksgiving): US Staff
  • December 1–2: Jeena
  • December 6: Lars (Finnish Independence Day)
  • December 25–31 (Christmas): US Staff (+ everyone?)
  • December 25–26: Lars, Željko, Christmas
  • 1 January (New Year's Day): US Staff, Lars, Željko
  • 20 January (Martin Luther King Jr. Day): US Staff

Rotating positions[edit]

Train[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/s3KW8bpsXhYF/#R


  • 14 Oct - wmf.2 - Jeena + Lars
  • 21 Oct - wmf.3 - Lars + Brennen
  • 28 Oct - wmf.4 - Brennen + Mukunda
  • 4 Nov - wmf.5 - Mukunda + Antoine
  • 11 Nov - wmf.6 - No Train (Tech conf)
  • 18 Nov - wmf.7 - No Train (Off site)
  • 25 Nov - wmf.8 - Group0 on Tuesday Brennen + Mukunda (Thanksgiving)
  • 2 Dec - wmf.8 part 2 - Wednesday Group1 + Thursday Group2
  • 9 Dec - wmf.10 - TBD
  • 16 Dec - wmf.11 - TBD
  • 23 Dec - wmf.12 - No Train or any other deploys (Winterval)
  • 30 Dec - wmf.13 - No Train or any other deploys (Still Winterval)
  • 6 Jan - wmf.14 - TBD
  • 13 Jan - wmf.15 - TBD

SoS[edit]

  • Aug 14 onward: Zeljko 🎸 🎷 \o/

Team Business[edit]

Timespent spreadsheet[edit]

For the avoidance of doubt: fill out the sheet week number for the previous week

Clinic Duty Proposal[edit]

November Offsite/Summit[edit]

Book club[edit]

Monthly reflection on accomplishments - October '19 edition[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Monthly_notable_accomplishments
Add as you have them!

October[edit]

Incoming/Needs attention[edit]

  • Wikidata load issues; NFA for us right now. T236928 // T234948 // …
  • Branch cut didn't work with the new script, had to use the old one.

Scrum of Scrums for next week[edit]

Internal team notes, not for pasting into the SoS notes[edit]

Incoming from last week (aka this morning)[edit]

Outgoing next week[edit]

Callouts[edit]

Train status and happenings[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Roles#Train_Conductor
  • No Gerrit GC cycle during branch cut. How was branch cut?

Standup![edit]

Antoine[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Best thing
    • JJB to be used directly from integration/config: tox -e jenkins-jobs -- <arguments>
      • Will probably phase out integration/jenkins-job-builder
        • 🎉
    • Couple of JJB patch upstream to speed it up (from 28s down to 4s on my machine)
    • Fixed Zuul gearman monitoring probe. Raised threshold
    • sync-up Slides for tech conf
  • Worst thing
    • Docker containers on Stretch are 20% slower than Jessie ones T236675
      • liw: could this be a spectre problem?
      • hashar: I think there is a problem with that security patch and docker
  • What I planned vs did
  • Unplannned

This week[edit]

  • What I plan to do
  • Blockers

Other[edit]

  • Not there friday Nov 1st (holiday: All Saints)


Brennen[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Best thing
    • Decreasing sense of terror about train.
  • Worst thing
    • Train.
  • What I planned vs did
    • Yes Done Train backup for Lars / train lead this week
    • Yes Done Sort out all hands travel
    • Dev environment hackery
      • N Not done Check out k3sup?
    • Yes Done Think about TechConf local dev sessions / discuss
      • And also In progress In progress
    • N Not done Improve sshecret pull req: https://github.com/thcipriani/sshecret/pull/2
      • Decided after discussion that current state is Good Enough™, Tyler merged
      • May devote some future yak shaving time
  • Unplannned
    • T236333: Install wikidiff2 into mediawiki-quibble-api-testing-vendor-mysql-php72-docker
      • Discovered Antoine's jjb changes firsthand
    • Help on some local-charts bugfixen:

This week[edit]

  • What I plan to do
    • Train, including some updates to docs
      • Improve a log-tailing script and document
    • Write a "This Week in Logspam"
    • Work on tech conf session
    • Review pending local-charts patches
    • Take a crack at TimedMediaHandler on local-charts
  • Blockers

Other[edit]


Dan[edit]

Last week[edit]

This week[edit]

  • What I plan to do
    • Following conversations about Zuul's Dependent Pipeline Manager and how it will need to fit with New CI, looking into it a bit
      • Calculating overhead
      • Looking at implementation
      • Revisiting notes from Dec 2018 offsite and how we might test it's efficacy
    • Start working with Lars on pipelinelib user documentation
  • Blockers

Other[edit]


Greg[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Best thing
    • I have a desk!
  • Worst thing
    • Thought I lost the hardware for the desk for a day, luckily my partner is smarter than I
  • What I planned vs did
  • Unplannned
    • Things

This week[edit]

  • What I plan to do
    • TechConf!
    • Offsite
  • Blockers

Other[edit]

James[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Best thing
    • WikidataCon.
  • Worst thing
    • WikidataCon-related travel.
  • What I planned vs did
    • Yes Done WikiDataCon from tomorrow onwards; back in the US next Wednesday.
    • N Not done YAML/static builds of dblists; not had the time yet today to deploy the next step.
  • Unplannned
    • Some extra PHP 7.0 / 7.1 CI removal patches for MW-related libraries.
    • Additional linting: we now lint require() JS calls to work with ResourceLoader https://github.com/wikimedia/eslint-plugin-mediawiki
    • Some more clean-up/support for PHPUnit upgrade, Phan upgrade, removal of globals, etc. T192167, T159283, T160811, …
    • Built some early images for PHP74 CI testing; paused waiting for PHP 7.4.0 release. T236132
    • Explored replacing Travis CI with GitHub Actions CI for some of our GitHub-hosted repos. https://github.com/wikimedia/less.php/pull/18
    • Helped Analytics by putting a "Statistics" link in the footer of every page: T235803.

This week[edit]

  • What I plan to do
    • Static YAML generation of dblists
    • Static YAML generation of InitialiseSettings
    • LocalDev support
    • TechConf planning
  • Blockers
    • Waiting on feedback from FR-Tech on whether we can proceed with PHPUnit stuff as it effects them (pinged in SoS) T192167

Other[edit]

  • Working from the East Coast from Sunday onwards.


Jean-Rene[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Best thing
  • Worst thing
  • What I planned vs did
  • Unplannned

This week[edit]

  • What I plan to do
  • Blockers

Other[edit]


Jeena[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Best thing
    • fixed some bugs in local-charts
  • Worst thing
    • planning is hard
  • What I planned vs did
    • In progress In progress tech conf session planning
    • N Not done changes to mw core image publish pipeline to log more and fail if prereq script errors
    • N Not done re-open patchsets to build restbase dev image
    • N Not done timespent spreadsheet
    • In progress In progress work with zeljko on getting local-charts running
  • Unplanned

This week[edit]

  • What I plan to do
    • tech conf session planning
    • changes to mw core image publish pipeline to log more and fail if prereq script errors
    • re-open patchsets to build restbase dev image
    • timespent spreadsheet
    • fix admin username/password issue for mw core on local-charts
  • Blockers
    • need Marko to review my deployment-charts restrouter patch (thcipriani: IIRC he's OOO today....)

Other[edit]


Lars[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Best thing
    • Ran the train and didn't break anything too badly
  • Worst thing
    • Realized that my technical writing isn't very useful
  • What I planned vs did
    • Yes Done Train, 1.35.0-wmf.3
    • In progress In progress Skim Go book, write a small program from scratch: fetch a web page, diff against previously fetched version.
    • Yes Done Attempt to set up study groups, or possibly SIGs, for Go and Rust.
  • Unplanned
    • First meeting with SRE on hardware to new CI and general sync on this.
    • First meeting in rebooted series of Deployment Pipeline meetings.

This week[edit]

  • What I plan to do
    • Ponder what came out of the SRE meeting on CI hardware meeting, and what I can learn from that, and what I can do for future discussssions on this.
    • Help prepare CI/CD related sessions at Tech Conf.
      • Respond to email thread started by Tyler. Especially: suggest goals and desired outcomes of the session and other related discussions from Tech Conf.
      • Fill out https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T234641 best I can.
      • Sketch a distillation of my CI architecture document.
    • Update and fill out my personal travel checklist for Tech Conf.
    • Read up about last year's Tech Conf to be better prepared for this years'.
    • Install at least a rudimentary, "hello world" level Argo some K8s somewhere.
    • Skim Go book, write a small program from scratch: fetch a web page, diff against previously fetched version.
    • Have first Go study club meeting, on coming Monday. https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Go
    • Stretch: Arrange first meeting for Rust study club. https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Rust
    • Stretch: Look at Zuul's dependent pipeline manager and think hard about it for new CI.
  • Blockers

Other[edit]



Mukunda[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Best thing
    • Making good progress on phabricator redundancy and failover stuff with dzahn. phd (async job queue) is now running on two servers.
  • Worst thing
    • All of my planned tasks are N Not done because of a lot of time sunk on unplanned stuff.
  • What I planned vs did
    • N Not done Test out phabricator's built-in search engin
    • N Not done Drum up interest in patch-triage (email wikitech-l, not sure what else to do)
      • Working on it...
    • Get branch.py ready for full automation in releases-jenkins
      • still blocked on code review
    • N Not done Deploy phatality (after https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/545593/ merges)
      • Doing this today
    • N Not done Deploy phabricator
      • Tried with scap, it didn't work. Turns out it was my fault (scap.cfg change fixed it)
  • Unplanned

This week[edit]

  • What I plan to do
    • Still working on branch.py, it didn't quite work as expected during the train branch cut this week, hope to have it working next time.
    • Deploy phabricator (with scap)
    • Deploy Phatality
    • Get branch.py working
    • Be the backup train conductor
  • Blockers

Other[edit]


Tyler[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Best thing
    • New CI moving/public/momentum!
  • Worst thing
    • 113 Résumés + cover letters
  • What I planned vs did
    • Yes Done Resumé review
    • N Not done Work out clinic duty rotation
    • Yes Done Next bookclub email
    • Yes Done Gerrit/JVM tuning to make use of Moar Memory™
  • Unplanned
    • Figured out Thanksgiving train (kinda/sorta)
    • Design moving to git-LFS

This week[edit]

  • What I plan to do
    • Work out clinic duty rotation
    • Techconf session planning
    • Gerrit review notes splitbrains
    • More gerrit tuning
  • Blockers

Other[edit]


Zeljko[edit]

Last week[edit]

This week[edit]

Other[edit]