Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20190617

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Contents

2019-06-17[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Holiday_List
How to do it
  • June 10 – July 21 - Dan leave (6 weeks, then additional leave later)
  • June 19 (Juneteenth) - US Staff
  • June 20 - Željko, Corpus Christi
  • June 21 - Željko, vacation
  • June 24 - Željko, vacation
  • June 25 - Željko, Statehood Day
  • July 2 - Greg's birthday, unsure if taking off, already have one meeting
  • July 4 (US Independence Day) - US Staff
  • July 10 - Lars off (swapping with weekend)
  • July 22 - August 9 - Željko vacation
  • August 7–19 - James off (inc. Wikimania)
  • August 12 - September 8 - Dan leave
  • August 12 (Glorious Twelfth) - US Staff
  • August ??? - ??? - Antoine
  • August 14–18 - Wikimania
    • Attending: James, Lars, Jean-Rene
  • August 15 - Željko, Assumption of Mary
  • August 25 - September 4 - Brennen vacation
  • September 2 (Labor Day) - US Staff
  • October 14 (Indigenous Peoples' Day) - US Staff
  • November 11 (Veterans' Day) - US Staff
  • November 28–29 (Thanksgiving) - US Staff
  • December 6 - Lars, Finnish Independence Day
  • December 25–31 (Christmas) - US Staff
  • December 25–26 - Lars, Christmas
  • 2020 January 1 (New Year's Day) - US Staff, Lars

Rotating positions[edit]

Train[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/s3KW8bpsXhYF/#R
  • June 10 - wmf.9 - No Train (SRE Summit)
  • June 17 - wmf.10 - Mukunda (but Juneteenth on the Wednesday? Yes. Do group0 and group1 an hour apart on Tuesday)
  • June 24 - wmf.11 - Jeena (with Mukunda)
  • July 1 - wmf.12 - No train (Fourth of July)
  • July 8 - wmf.13 - Jeena
  • July 15 - wmf.14 - Lars (with Antoine)
  • July 22 - wmf.15 - Lars
  • July 29 - wmf.16 - Brennen (with Tyler)
  • Aug 5 - wmf.17 - Brennen
  • Aug 12 - wmf.18 - No Train (Wikimania)
  • Aug 19 - wmf.19 - Zeljko 😱
  • Aug 26 - wmf.20 - Zeljko 😭

SoS[edit]

  • Zeljko 4eva! :)


Team Business[edit]

Timespent spreadsheet[edit]

For the avoidance of doubt: fill out the sheet week number for the previous week


Book club[edit]


AUP exceptions[edit]


Fall Offsite + TechConf19[edit]

  • Decided: 1 long trip, offsite after TechConf
    • dates? 2019-11-1{6,7}--2019-11-21..ish

TechConf19[edit]


Annual Planning[edit]


Monthly reflection on accomplishments - May '19 edition[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Monthly_notable_accomplishments
Add as you have them!


Incoming/Needs attention[edit]

  • REL1_33 branching for extensions: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220653
    • Reedy said he'll move forward with rc0 announcement soon.
    • Mukunda tried to run the script but it ran into trouble. Will re-try, manually.
    • Switching on HTTP Auth again still seems blocked. Barricade should help with this; review when Tyler gets back.
      • Update 2019-06-03: Fighting fires last; should be able to do this week.
    • 2019-06-10: Done with a quick hack by Reedy; do we need to fix the script for next time?
      • http auth patches merged in upstream, next week is the earliest it'll be released
    • 2019-06-17: Gerrit 2.15.14 is out, need to build and release, hopefully this week


Scrum of Scrums[edit]

Incoming from last week[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2019-06-12#Release_Engineering


Outgoing this week (wrong section heading level is on purpose for copy/pasting into Scrum of Scrums etherpad[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]

Callouts[edit]

  • Release Engineering


Train status and happenings[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Roles#Train_Conductor
  • New filtered fatal monitor dashboard including markers for scap deployments: https://logstash.wikimedia.org/app/kibana#/dashboard/77cc3e90-aa27-11e7-9109-51bd3197f7a9?_g=()
  • Need to fix scap clean :\
    • thcipriani has a crappy fix in mind until http tokens in gerrit are back
      • Any idea when HTTP tokens will come back? Weeks? Months? Never? :-(
      • ~Weeks
    • 2019-05-06: cleaned up stuff last week on deploy hosts, just not the gerrit branches
    • 2019-05-13: …
    • 2019-06-03: upstream issues/patches we want resolved before doing this
    • 2019-06-10: upstream cutting new version with security fixes (hopefully) end of week, ETA early next week
    • 2019-06-17: gerrit 2.15.14 is out, need to build and release, hopefully this week


Quarterly Goals for Q4[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technology/Goals/2018-19_Q4

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Undeploy the CodeReview extension.
WHO: James, need help from CPT
  • James will ping CPT about this this week (April 8th)
    • … and again w/c 15 April.
    • … and again w/c 6 May (in SoS).
    • … and again w/c 27 May (in SoS).
    • [Recurring item]

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Setup 1-3 of the CI WG options (Zuul v3, Argo, GitLab)
WHO: Lars
  • Gitlab:
    • https://wmf-gitlab3.vm.liw.fi/ is up and accepts registrations with wikimedia.org (and liw.fi) email addresses
    • Please play with it and tell Lars anything that seems iffy


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Instrument Quibble for data collection
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine
  • Blocked


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Create a graph where time is spent and make a prioritized list for improvements.
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine
  • Blocked

TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Prepare the Deployment Pipeline for changes to our CI tooling.
WHO: ???, ???
  • Blocked by not having new CI tooling yet


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOAL: Create a .pipeline/config.yaml standard to give users more control over how their tests are run in the pipeline and allow the easy saving of artifacts at pipeline completion. (RelEng)
WHO: Dan, Tyler, ???

Yes Done


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOALS:
Adopt more services into Deployment pipeline - task T212801
Wikidata Termbox SSR, Kask for Session Storage Service, cpjobqueue (stretch), ORES (stretch)
WHO: Dan, Tyler, Lars

There are tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220403

  • Wikidata Termbox SSR
    • In progress In progress
  • Kask for Session Storage Service
    • Yes Done
  • cpjobqueue (stretch)
    • N Not done pushing to next quarter

TEC12 (DevProd): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Provide an "Official" Docker base image for local development of MediaWiki based on the production tooling.
WHO: Jeena, Brennen
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T212449
  • Done for MediaWiki, for some values of "done" and "MediaWiki". Production-likeness needs considerable work.

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Output 3[edit]

GOALs: Presentation/session(s) at the Wikimedia Hackathon on the current state of Code Health projects (technical debt and code stewardship)
WHO: JR

Yes Done

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL:
Publish a re-imagination of the Review Queue process.
Develop and implement metrics around task and code-review responsiveness
WHO: Greg, JR (and Andre)
  • Review Queue
    • Blocked on Greg time
  • Task and code-review responsiveness metrics
    • No progress last week.


= TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 4 / Output 4.2[edit]

GOALs:
Expand SonarQube reporting into CI infrastructure
Perform SonarQube analysis on all extensions
Engage user communities in direct feedback solicitation
WHO: JR, Zeljko, Code Health Metrics
  • Continued working towards expansion of coverage to all extensions in Code Health Pipeline. Going to do so in smaller chunks to see how infrastructure reacts.

Other non-goal work[edit]

Release MW 1.33[edit]

  • Handed off to Reedy along with security releases.


Selenium[edit]

Gerrit[edit]


Phabricator[edit]

Jenkins[edit]

QA/Code Health[edit]

SCAP[edit]


Standup![edit]

Antoine[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Finish reviews of Awight Quibble patches. Hopefully cut a new Quibble release
    • Polish up zuul/layout.yaml a bit more, specially jobs for MediaWiki release branches
    • Cleanup CI puppet manifests -- https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/bug:T225735
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?
    • Lot of efforts have been put to speed up MediaWiki tests. Moaare needed, specially the Selenium tests seem unreasonably slow (too many login actions).


Brennen[edit]


Dan[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Greg[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Security Council Meeting (already done!) ;)
    • Get and response to final budget/plan
    • Q1 Goals
    • TechConf nominations review
    • TechConf topics review (post office hours last week)
      • including reviewing of things not covered from last techconf
    • Phabricator board triaging/reconfiguring again/still (sorry!)
    • Read chapter 12 of book
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?

James[edit]


Jean-Rene[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • schedule Core Review WG kickoff
    • work on goal planning
    • work on Tec13 1.1 (responsiveness metrics)
    • continue working on Code Stewardship tasks
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jeena[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Finally make patchset for deployment-charts
    • work on other charts for deployment-charts
    • fix some bugs I found in local-charts
    • fill out planning chart
    • Read CD book
    • Prepare for train next week
    • Look into beta needs for https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T222820
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Lars[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • read chapter 12 of CD book
    • make v2 of CI arch doc based on feedback so far
    • write up a CI implementation around GitLab, using Gerrit
    • plan next FY work for my own part
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Mukunda[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Train
    • Rebuild phabricator sshd with a patch for T224677
    • Phabricator deployment if possible
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Tyler[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Remove barricade v2 lucene dependency (with dcausse)
    • Gerrit 2.15.14 released, will deploy
    • Finish Blubberoid policy file work
    • get up-to-date on the lib/extension dependency work
  • What I'm blocked on
    • scap 3.10.0-1 ot poke SRE
  • Other?


Zeljko[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • T199113 All repositories with Selenium tests should use wdio-mediawiki - TwoColConflict is the only one left from the original list, have to cross check with new repos added to https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Selenium/Node.js#write-tests
    • T223774 The first Selenium test for WikibaseCirrusSearch - could not get the extenstion working on vagrant :P will be able to do most of the stuff anyway
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?
    • holiday on Thursday (20th), vacation on Friday (21st) and Monday (24th), holiday on Tuesday (25th)


Grooming[edit]

Team Kanban Board Review and Triage[edit]


Once / month-ish review of backlog(s)[edit]


Kanban stats[edit]

Burnup chart