Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20190506

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Contents

2019-04-15[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Holiday_List
How to do it
  • May 8th - Antoine, 1945 victory
  • May 10th - thcipriani, wichita graduation
  • May 15 (Wednesday) - Željko vacation
  • May 13–15: James working from London
  • May 16-20 - Wikimedia Hackathon 2019 (Prague, Czechia)
    • Attending: Greg, JR, Zeljko, James, and Jeena
  • May 17th: Mukunda day off - Concert.
  • May 20-31 - Jeena Vacation
  • May 21: James travelling back to SF
  • May 27 (Memorial Day) - US Staff
  • May 28th-31st - thcipriani - family in town
  • May 30th - Lars, Ascension
  • May 30th-31th - Antoine, Feast of the Ascension
  • June 10th - Antoine, Pentecost -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastertide for Antoine/France Easter holidays
  • June 6-7 - Brennen, Apogaea
  • June 10-? - Dan leave (4-6 weeks, then additional leave later)
  • June 19 (Juneteenth) - US Staff
  • July 4 (US Independence Day) - US Staff
  • July 22 - August 9 - Željko vacation
  • July 22 - Lars, Midsummer
  • August 7–9 - James off
  • August 12 (Glorious Twelfth) - US Staff
  • August 14–18 - Wikimania
    • Attending: James, ? …
  • August 25 - September 4 - Brennen vacation
  • September 2 (Labor Day) - US Staff
  • October 14 (Indigenous Peoples' Day) - US Staff
  • November 11 (Veterans' Day) - US Staff
  • November 28–29 (Thanksgiving) - US Staff
  • December 6 - Lars, Finnish Independence Day
  • December 25–31 (Christmas) - US Staff
  • December 25-26 - Lars, Christmas
  • 2020 January 1 (New Year's Day) - US Staff, Lars

Rotating positions[edit]

Train[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/s3KW8bpsXhYF/#R
  • Apr 29 - wmf.3 - Tyler
  • May 06 - wmf.4 - Tyler
  • May 13 - wmf.5 - Antoine
  • May 20 - wmf.6 - Antoine
  • May 27 - wmf.7 - Zeljko
  • June 03 - wmf.8 - Zeljko
  • June 10 - wmf.9 - Mukunda
  • June 17 - wmf.10 - Mukunda

SoS[edit]

  • Zeljko 4eva! :)


Team Business[edit]

Timespent spreadsheet[edit]

For the avoidance of doubt: fill out the sheet week number for the previous week


Book club[edit]


Spring Offsite[edit]

Follow-ups:

  • Greg: Email mark re gerrit/phab hosting discussion
    • DONE: scheduled for Wed May 8th.
    • Attending: Mark, mutante, Alex, Joe, Lars, Antoine, Dan, Mukunda, Tyler, Me
    • Not just about gerrit/phab, also "the pipeline transition period and what that means for Beta Cluster" (hence all the people)
  • Greg: email mark about capex request for next year for pipeline
    • I'm actually not sure what this is about/what the ask is, help?!
    • "staging" pipeline?
    • Production access?
  • Mukunda: talk with Timo and Fillipo about our prioritized of feature requests for LMM
    • Note: Gergo confirmed that SRE is going to work on Sentry in Q1/Q2 (from a conversation with Faidon and Filippo)
  • Greg: announce that RelEng is backup only for SWAT (removal of person’s names from getting pinged everytime on IRC) and we’ll start working on automating the train
    • Still need to do Q4 goals...table this “doing” until Q1?
    • Greg will send a signed email if someone writes it up ;)
      • Željko will write the e-mail this week



Monthly reflection on accomplishments - April '19 edition[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Monthly_notable_accomplishments
Add as you have them!
  • Phabricator vandalism rollback tool completed 🎉 (blog post? 😉)
  • Upgrade Zuul to 2.5.1-wmf6 (which unblocks the Gerrit upgrade to 2.16) - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T208426
  • Team offsite in Chicago


Annual Planning[edit]

Budget ask is in. We will see what's next. Pan-Technology prioritisation happening now.


Annual Reviews[edit]

Overview: https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/FY_2018-19_Annual_Review_and_Retrospective

Deadlines[edit]

Everyone:

  • Starting now: You and I discuss who your peer reviewers should be
  • April 26th: Enter your peer reviewers into Namely (please run them by me first)
  • May 17th: Deadline to complete self-reviews, peer reviews, and reviews of your manager.
  • May 20th: I start reviewing the peer reviews and writing my feedback on you.

Non SafeGuard (aka US Employees):

  • June 14th: Deadline for managers to complete all 1:1 meetings with direct reports and provide written feedback in Namely.

SafeGuard:

  • June 14th - Managers of those employed by Safeguard submit their reviews to HR for submission to Safeguard
  • July 12th - Deadline to have a 1:1 and share final manager review with direct report in Namely


Incoming/Needs attention[edit]

Scrum of Scrums[edit]

Incoming from last week[edit]

  • Blocking:


Outgoing this week (wrong section heading level is on purpose for copy/pasting into Scrum of Scrums etherpad[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]

Callouts[edit]

  • Release Engineering


Train status and happenings[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Roles#Train_Conductor
  • Need to fix scap clean :\
    • thcipriani has a crappy fix in mind until http tokens in gerrit are back
      • Any idea when HTTP tokens will come back? Weeks? Months? Never? :-(
      • ~Weeks
    • 2019-05-06: cleaned up stuff last week on deploy hosts, just not the gerrit branches
  • 1.33 branch cut for extensions is blocked (except tarball ones, which James did manually)
    • 2019-05-06: Mukunda to do it this week
    • Greg: email Cindy re process of this release
  • IDEA: automatica UBN! and comment of train blockers


Quarterly Goals for Q4[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technology/Goals/2018-19_Q4

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Undeploy the CodeReview extension.
WHO: James, need help from CPT
  • James will ping CPT about this this week (April 8th)
    • … and again w/c 15 April.
    • … and again w/c 6 May (in SoS).


TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Setup 1-3 of the CI WG options (Zuul v3, Argo, GitLab)
WHO:
  • Focus on a couple noteworthy repos: e.g.,
    • core
    • extensions
    • ops/puppet
  • Maybe setup in serial, i.e., a week per evaluation
  • Questions:
    • RelEng/Extended working group?
      • At least in the WG eval it was good to have non-familiar people
      • But maybe with the setup of options it might be beneficial to have experienced with current setup people.
      • Folks outside the original working group to join-in to setup options; people TBD
    • Do we need a rubric before we do this prototyping? (yes)
      • DONE lars to work on rubric week of 2019-04-01
        • See email 2019-04-08
  • 2019-05-06: Feedback from Android. Working on an arch document. Do in Q1?


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Instrument Quibble for data collection
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine
  • Still no progress / nowhere to store this data and other tasks taking priority


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Create a graph where time is spent and make a prioritized list for improvements.
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Prepare the Deployment Pipeline for changes to our CI tooling.
WHO: ???, ???
  • Blocked by not having new CI tooling yet


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOAL: Create a .pipeline/config.yaml standard to give users more control over how their tests are run in the pipeline and allow the easy saving of artifacts at pipeline completion. (RelEng)
WHO: Dan, Tyler, ???


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOALS:
Adopt more services into Deployment pipeline - task T212801
Wikidata Termbox SSR, Kask for Session Storage Service, cpjobqueue (stretch), ORES (stretch)
WHO: Dan, Tyler, Lars

There are tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220403

  • changeprop


  • Wikidata Termbox SSR
  • Kask for Session Storage Service
  • cpjobqueue (stretch)

TEC12 (DevProd): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Provide an "Official" Docker base image for local development of MediaWiki based on the production tooling.
WHO: Jeena, Brennen

Various relevant tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T212449


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Outcome 3[edit]

GOALs: Presentation/session(s) at the Wikimedia Hackathon on the current state of Code Health projects (technical debt and code stewardship)
WHO: JR

Met and discussed Hackathon session with Code Health Metrics WG. Daniel will also be having a related session on Cycle Dependencies.

  • T216630 Present Code Health Metrics at the Hackathon

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL:
Publish a re-imagination of the Review Queue process.
Develop and implement metrics around task and code-review responsiveness
WHO: Greg, JR (and Andre)

No activity


= TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 4 / Output 4.2[edit]

GOALs:
Expand SonarQube reporting into CI infrastructure
Perform SonarQube analysis on all extensions
Engage user communities in direct feedback solicitation
WHO: JR, Zeljko, Code Health Metrics

Kosta working with Tyler to finalize CI integration. Goal is to have this working by Hackathon.

Other non-goal work[edit]

Release MW 1.33[edit]

  • ETA: end of May
  • "just" producing the tarballs, Cindy is on point for what's in/what's out.
  • Can I get a volunteer?
  • Mukunda can build tarballs
  • Greg: email Cindy asking for status


Selenium[edit]

T220755 [Spike] Have a discussion around Minerva selenium browser test architecture - talked with the team. Several sessions planned for hackathon.

Gerrit[edit]

Phabricator[edit]

Jenkins[edit]

QA/Code Health[edit]

Next Code Health Office hours slated to be Performance Testing.

Met with Daniel and Guillaume re: DevEd and developer software design practices.

SCAP[edit]

Standup![edit]

Antoine[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • "Push buttons very hard"
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Brennen[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • T222494: Move dev-images PHP + Apache image from mod_php to php-fpm
    • blubber.yaml for MediaWiki dev image
      • Consult Antoine / others on where this should live
    • T218360: Add dev-images use to local-charts
    • T217868: Get some amount of testing in place before going much further with local-charts / dev-images
    • Quick re-skim of book chapters
    • Read Lars's CI rubric / arch document
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Dan[edit]


Greg[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Responding to budget and annual plan follow-up
    • Offsite/travel paperwork/reimbursement
    • TechConf planning
    • write out phab process/do skeleton on the labs phab instance
    • figure out the MW release open questions
    • Start writing peer reviews
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?

James[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • MW static configuration concept
    • Pipeline documentation work with Martyav.
    • Apparently JSONlint has broken, so I'll probably be working on the planned replacement of that. :-(
    • Helping ServiceOps with the HHVM -> PHP72 migration, probably.
    • Possibly doing a cluster analysis of how we use our configuration options
  • What I'm blocked on
    • WikipediaZero removal blocked on SRE having time (low urgency); CodeReview removal similarly blocked on CPT.
  • Other?
    • Working from London early next week, and then at the Hackathon in Prague.


Jean-Rene[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Work on Code Review WG
    • Prep for Hackathon
    • Peer feedback
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jeena[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Review Writing
    • Prepare local-charts for hackathon
    • images of parsoid and restbase?
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Lars[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • finish and publish first draft of architecture doc for future CI
    • prepare for and attend RelEng/SRE meeting on Phabricator maintenance on Wednesday
    • prepare for and attend book club meeting on Friday
    • learn how to write reviews and write first sketches, possibly attend related workshop on Friday
    • give a talk on PGP to the team if there's interest (see email)
  • What I'm blocked on
    • lack of brain (still recovering from jet lag)
  • Other?


Mukunda[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Sync up with Daniel about migrating Phabricator to the new server
    • Work on the branching script in make-release (with tyler on wednesday)
    • Figure out a time to pair with Jeena on local dev environment stuff
    • Write some annual performance reviews
    • Read a book
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Tyler[edit]

Zeljko[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Submit several Selenium related sessions for the hackathon
    • Several Selenium related reviews and tasks
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Grooming[edit]

Team Kanban Board Review and Triage[edit]


Once / month-ish review of backlog(s)[edit]


Kanban stats[edit]

Burnup chart