Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20190415

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Contents

2019-04-15[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Holiday_List
How to do it
  • April 17-19 (Wednesday - Friday) - Željko vacation
  • April 18-19 (Thursday, Friday) - Lars on vacation in Chicago
  • April 19: Moved WMF Holiday for James
  • April 22 (WMF Holiday) - US Staff
  • April 22-27: Team offsite in Chicago
  • April 29: Moved WMF Holiday for US staff at offsite except James
  • May 1st - Lars, Antoine and Željko, Labor Day / May Day
  • May 8th - Antoine, 1945 victory
  • May 15 (Wednesday) - Željko vacation
  • May 16-20 - Wikimedia Hackathon 2019 (Prague, Czechia)
    • Attending: Greg, JR, Zeljko, James, and Jeena
  • May 27th: US Employees - Memorial Day
  • May 30th-31th - Antoine, Feast of the Ascension
  • June 10th - Antoine, Pentecost -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastertide for Antoine/France Easter holidays
  • May 27 (Memorial Day) - US Staff
  • June 6-7 - Brennen, Apogaea
  • June 19 (Juneteenth) - US Staff
  • July 22 - August 9 - Željko vacation
  • August 25 - September 4 - Brennen vacation

Rotating positions[edit]

Train[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/s3KW8bpsXhYF/#R
  • Apr 08 - wmf.25 - Mukunda
  • Apr 15 - 1.34.0-wmf.1 - Mukunda
  • Apr 22 - wmf.2 - NO TRAIN, team offsite
  • Apr 29 - wmf.3 - Tyler
  • May 06 - wmf.4 - Tyler
  • May 13 - wmf.5 - Antoine
  • May 20 - wmf.6 - Antoine
  • May 27 - wmf.7 - Zeljko
  • June 03 - wmf.8 - Zeljko
  • June 10 - wmf.9 - Dan
  • June 17 - wmf.10 - Dan

SoS[edit]

  • Zeljko 4eva! :)
    • Not for the next 3 weeks :D

Team Business[edit]

Timespent spreadsheet[edit]

For the avoidance of doubt: fill out the sheet week number for the previous week
  • W16 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1urCLNQXeEi1DOR8Iu0qW0yPt-glxX1laqlMovbGyCW0/edit#gid=0
    • James: Should I be doing this now? (I don't have access.)
      • Greg: Yes, will deal with this later.
    • TODO: Greg give James access
      • Yes Done
    • TODO: Greg clarify distinction between "maintenance" and tec1
      • ANSWER: This is primarily for things we didn't account for in our annual planning, which includes (unfortunately) CI Infra/config maintence.
    • TODO: CI/CD book, educaton/prof dev column? for now "Other"
      • Yes Done


Book club[edit]


Spring Offsite[edit]

  • Location: Chicago, IL (Central timezone, UTC-5 while we're there)
  • Dates: Arrive Monday 4/22, Depart Saturday 4/27.
  • Activity day
    • Museum of Science and Industry on Friday
    • Cubs game Tuesday night
  • Program:
    • Forming....
    • Come prepared to discuss team mission and scope
    • Current priority of topics based on the etherpad votes:
      • 1) Future of WMF CI:
        • 1a) what tooling do we commit to for the next phase, processes of using CI/CD, implementation plan for new tooling/versions
        • 1b) Discussion of rubric (see mail - [RelEng] CI evaluation, phase 2: criteria)
        • 1c) Showcase integration/pipelinelib Pipeline Builder and how it could enable self-serve CI
      • 2) Continuation/”conclusion” of team scope/mission
      • 3) Future of the Beta Cluster
      • 4) Discussion of Prodlike and how to get there
      • 5) How do we organise and track our own work? (Greg)
      • 6) Maintenance of documentation
      • 7) PGP training and keysigning (liw) see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Onboarding/GPG
      • 8) logspam cleanup epic (follow-up from the book club discussion on 3/21)
      • 9) Book club discussion - Up through chapter 9
      • 10) Everybody does deployments (p271 Every member of the team should know how to deploy)



Skill matrix redux[edit]

cf: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Skill_matrix
  • I plan to have you update it next week (the week before the offsite).
  • Should we add people outside the team who have significant skills in our matrix? / bus factor indviduals.
    • Yeah, we should note it somehow.
    • PROPOSAL: Add a final column "Other maintainers" and instead of stars have a list of names
  • Can we transpose the table now it's so wide? +1
    • Yes Done

Here is the current table, please add/strike-through/leave comments for how to improve it/make it relevant to your work today: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/releng-skillmatrix-redux

Monthly reflection on accomplishments - April '19 edition[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Monthly_notable_accomplishments
Add as you have them!


Annual Planning[edit]

  • Nothing new right now...
  • I'm talking with Mark tomorrow morning (he won't be in Portland, sadly)
    • apparently he's coming now, I'll talk to him there :)


Annual Reviews[edit]

Overview: https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/FY_2018-19_Annual_Review_and_Retrospective

Deadlines[edit]

Everyone:

  • Starting now: You and I discuss who your peer reviewers should be
  • April 26th: Enter your peer reviewers into Namely (please run them by me first)
  • May 17th: Deadline to complete self-reviews, peer reviews, and reviews of your manager.
  • May 20th: I start reviewing the peer reviews and writing my feedback on you.

Non SafeGuard (aka US Employees):

  • June 14th: Deadline for managers to complete all 1:1 meetings with direct reports and provide written feedback in Namely.

SafeGuard:

  • June 14th - Managers of those employed by Safeguard submit their reviews to HR for submission to Safeguard
  • July 12th - Deadline to have a 1:1 and share final manager review with direct report in Namely


Incoming/Needs attention[edit]

[Task] Add Scribunto to extension-gate in CI[edit]


Scrum of Scrums[edit]

Incoming from last week[edit]

  • Blocking:


Outgoing this week (wrong section heading is on purpose for copy/pasting into Scrum of Scrums etherpad[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]

Callouts[edit]

  • Release Engineering


Train status and happenings[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Roles#Train_Conductor
  • Need to fix scap clean :\
    • thcipriani has a crappy fix in mind until http tokens in gerrit are back
      • Any idea when HTTP tokens will come back? Weeks? Months? Never? :-(
      • Weeks
  • 1.33 branch cut for extensions blocked (except tarball ones, which James did manually)
    • Mukunda to do it this week

Quarterly Goals for Q4[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technology/Goals/2018-19_Q4

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Undeploy the CodeReview extension.
WHO: James, need help from CPT
  • James will ping CPT about this this week (April 8th)
    • … and again w/c 15 April.


TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Setup 1-3 of the CI WG options (Zuul v3, Argo, GitLab)
WHO:
  • Focus on a couple noteworthy repos: e.g.,
    • core
    • extensions
    • ops/puppet
  • Maybe setup in serial, i.e., a week per evaluation
  • Questions:
    • RelEng/Extended working group?
      • At least in the WG eval it was good to have non-familiar people
      • But maybe with the setup of options it might be beneficial to have experienced with current setup people.
      • Folks outside the original working group to join-in to setup options; people TBD
    • Do we need a rubric before we do this prototyping? (yes)
      • DONE lars to work on rubric week of 2019-04-01
        • See email 2019-04-08


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Instrument Quibble for data collection
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine
  • Still no progress / nowhere to store this data and other tasks taking priority


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Create a graph where time is spent and make a prioritized list for improvements.
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Prepare the Deployment Pipeline for changes to our CI tooling.
WHO: ???, ???
  • Blocked by not having new CI tooling yet


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOAL: Create a .pipeline/config.yaml standard to give users more control over how their tests are run in the pipeline and allow the easy saving of artifacts at pipeline completion. (RelEng)
WHO: Dan, Tyler, ???


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOALS:
Adopt more services into Deployment pipeline - task T212801
Wikidata Termbox SSR, Kask for Session Storage Service, cpjobqueue (stretch), ORES (stretch)
WHO: Dan, Tyler, Lars

There are tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220403

  • changeprop


  • Wikidata Termbox SSR


  • Kask for Session Storage Service


  • cpjobqueue (stretch)


TEC12 (DevProd): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Provide an "Official" Docker base image for local development of MediaWiki based on the production tooling.
WHO: Jeena, Brennen



TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Outcome 3[edit]

GOALs: Presentation/session(s) at the Wikimedia Hackathon on the current state of Code Health projects (technical debt and code stewardship)
WHO: JR

No activitiy

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL:
Publish a re-imagination of the Review Queue process.
Develop and implement metrics around task and code-review responsiveness
WHO: Greg, JR (and Andre)

No Activity


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 4 / Output 4.2[edit]

GOALs:
Expand SonarQube reporting into CI infrastructure
Perform SonarQube analysis on all extensions
Engage user communities in direct feedback solicitation
WHO: JR, Zeljko, Code Health Metrics
  • CodeHealth pipeline in CI to be used for SonarQube analysis

Other non-goal work[edit]

Selenium[edit]

Gerrit[edit]

Phabricator[edit]

  • Train blocker tasks created. date field bug worked around


Jenkins[edit]

QA/Code Health[edit]

  • Daniel has started participating in Code Health Metrics WG. To keep the broader WG activities in sync with what's happening with CPT.
  • Code Review workgroup invite email didn't go out last week, will send out this week.
  • Had Graphoid bash meeting to discuss future plans/code stewardship re: Graphoid.

SCAP[edit]

Standup![edit]

Antoine[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Some more Quibble patches
      • Quibble pending patch to resolve extension requirements (no more zuul/parameter_zuul.py !!)
        • Problem is for extensions with semi-dependencies (e.g. VisualEditor on BetaFeatures), where they're not in extension.json, but if they're both installed they run extra tests/do extra magic.
    • CI maintenance as usual
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?
    • Too much paperwork


Brennen[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?
    • Taking a long lunch at some point to run errands prior to leaving for offsite


Dan[edit]


Greg[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Follow-up from last week
    • Skillmatrix update and send out today
    • Reviewing/synthesizing other teams' processes in prep for next week
    • preping intro presentation for offsite
    • Figure out vendor process for "not actually an annual review" review
    • oh right, forgot about a conversation last week....
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?

James[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Helping the Multimedia team a little (they want to put phase II of SDC live this week).
    • Some slightly scary production config clean-up, reducing surface of "variable" config that shouldn't ever, e.g. $wgMiserMode.
      • oh good, safe changes :)
    • Explore MCS/PCS migration to k8s/docker
    • Help with whatever UBNs/etc. blow up
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jean-Rene[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • follow up on code stewardship reviews
    • plan out Q4 goal work
    • meet/talk with Corey and Marcella re: Software Maintenance
    • get Code Review WG invite out
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jeena[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Review various patches
    • Finish up volume mounting script for local-charts
    • other local-charts things
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Lars[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • prepare for offsite trip
    • teleport to Chicago
    • try to recover from jetlag
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Mukunda[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Train
    • Read a book
    • Prepare for offsite
    • Code Review
    •  ????
    • Profit
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Tyler[edit]


Zeljko[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • finish up anything urgent
    • vacation Wednesday-Friday
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?
    • I got invited to a few important sounding meetings (X:Platform Evolution sync), all of which are really late, I'm optional so I guess I can just say no?


Grooming[edit]

Team Kanban Board Review and Triage[edit]


Once / month-ish review of backlog(s)[edit]


Kanban stats[edit]

Burnup chart