Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20190408

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Contents

2019-04-08[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Holiday_List
How to do it
  • April 9-12: Greg at tech-mgt F2F in Portland
  • April 11: Dan out
  • April 17-19 (Wednesday - Friday) - Željko vacation
  • April 18-19 (Thursday, Friday) - Lars on vacation in Chicago
  • April 22 (WMF Holiday) - US Staff
  • April 22-27: Team offsite in Chicago
  • April 29: Moved WMF Holiday for US staff at offsite
  • May 1st - Lars, Antoine and Željko, Labor Day / May Day
  • May 8th - Antoine, 1945 victory
  • May 15 (Wednesday) - Željko vacation
  • May 16-20 - Wikimedia Hackathon 2019 (Prague, Czechia)
    • Attending: Greg, JR, Zeljko, James, and Jeena
  • May 30th-31th - Antoine, Feast of the Ascension
  • June 10th - Antoine, Pentecost -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastertide for Antoine/France Easter holidays
  • May 27 (Memorial Day) - US Staff
  • June 6-7 - Brennen, Apogaea
  • June 19 (Juneteenth) - US Staff
  • July 22 - August 9 - Željko vacation
  • August 25 - September 4 - Brennen vacation

Rotating positions[edit]

Train[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/s3KW8bpsXhYF/#R
  • Jan 07 - wmf.12 - Dan
  • Jan 14 - wmf.13 - Dan
  • Jan 21 - wmf.14 - Mukunda
  • Jan 28 - wmf.15 - No Train (All Hands)
  • Feb 04 - wmf.16 - Mukunda
  • Feb 11 - wmf.17 - Tyler
  • Feb 18 - wmf.18 - Tyler
  • Feb 25 - wmf.19 - Antoine
  • Mar 04 - wmf.20 - Antoine
  • Mar 11 - wmf.21 - Zeljko 🐌
  • Mar 18 - wmf.22 - Zeljko 💣
  • Mar 25 - wmf.23 - Dan
  • Apr 01 - wmf.24 - Dan [train not finished yet]
  • Apr 08 - wmf.25 - Mukunda
  • Apr 15 - 1.34.0-wmf.1 - Mukunda
  • Apr 22 - wmf.2 - NO TRAIN, team offsite
  • Apr 29 - wmf.3 - Tyler
  • May 06 - wmf.4 - Tyler
  • May 13 - wmf.5 - Antoine
  • May 20 - wmf.6 - Antoine
  • May 27 - wmf.7 - Zeljko
  • June 03 - wmf.8 - Zeljko

SoS[edit]

  • Zeljko 4eva! :)

Team Business[edit]

Timespent spreadsheet[edit]

For the avoidance of doubt: fill out the sheet week number for the previous week


Book club[edit]


Spring Offsite[edit]

  • Location: Chicago, IL (Central timezone, UTC-5 while we're there)
  • Dates: Arrive Monday 4/22, Depart Saturday 4/27.
  • Activity day
    • Museum of Science and Industry on Friday
    • Cubs game Tuesday night
  • Program:
    • Forming....
    • Come prepared to discuss team mission and scope
    • Current priority of topics based on the etherpad votes:
      • 1) Future of WMF CI:
        • 1a) what tooling do we commit to for the next phase, processes of using CI/CD, implementation plan for new tooling/versions
        • 1b) Discussion of rubric (see mail - [RelEng] CI evaluation, phase 2: criteria)
        • 1c) Showcase integration/pipelinelib Pipeline Builder and how it could enable self-serve CI
      • 2) Continuation/”conclusion” of team scope/mission
      • 3) Future of the Beta Cluster
      • 4) Discussion of Prodlike and how to get there
      • 5) How do we organise and track our own work? (Greg)
      • 6) Maintenance of documentation
      • 7) PGP training and keysigning (liw) see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Onboarding/GPG
      • 8) logspam cleanup epic (follow-up from the book club discussion on 3/21)
      • 9) Book club discussion - Up through chapter 9
      • 10) Everybody does deployments (p271 Every member of the team should know how to deploy)



Skill matrix redux[edit]

cf: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Skill_matrix
  • I plan to have you update it next week (the week before the offsite).
  • Should we add people outside the team who have significant skills in our matrix? / bus factor indviduals.
    • Yeah, we should note it somehow.
  • Can we transpose the table now it's so wide? +1

Here is the current table, please add/strike-through/leave comments for how to improve it/make it relevant to your work today.

  • Developer Tools Support
    • MediaWiki-Vagrant
    • Elastic-search
    • Gerrit maint
    • Phabricator maint
    • Maintenance of misc. tools like Docker image list, misc. monitoring stuff, etc.?
  • Continuous Integration Infra
    • Jenkins maint
    • Zuul maint
    • Nodepool maint
    • CI config / JJB
    • docker-pkg
    • Quibble
  • Testing Tooling and Education
  • Integration Test Environments
    • Beta Cluster
  • Deploying software
    • Deploying new MW branches/The Train
    • backports & SWAT deploys
    • Developing scap
    • Debugging and/or Reporting log errors
  • Deployment Pipeline
    • k8s
    • minikube
    • blubber
    • pipelinelib
    • local-charts
  • MediaWiki Releases
    • Doing major releases
    • Doing point releases
    • Doing security releases

Monthly reflection on accomplishments - April '19 edition[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Monthly_notable_accomplishments
Add as you have them!
  • Phabricator vandalism rollback tool completed 🎉 (blog post? 😉)


Annual Planning[edit]

  • Nothing new right now...
  • I'm talking with Mark tomorrow morning (he won't be in Portland, sadly)
    • apparently he's coming now, I'll talk to him there :)

Incoming/Needs attention[edit]

[Task] Add Scribunto to extension-gate in CI[edit]


task-series scap plugin broken[edit]


Scrum of Scrums[edit]

Incoming from last week[edit]

  • Blocking:


Outgoing this week (wrong section heading is on purpose for copy/pasting into Scrum of Scrums etherpad[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]

Callouts[edit]

  • Release Engineering


Train status and happenings[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Roles#Train_Conductor
  • Blocked :/
  • RefreshLinks, last action:
    • [2019-04-05T16:02:11Z] <krinkle@deploy1001> Synchronized php-1.33.0-wmf.24/includes/jobqueue/jobs/RefreshLinksJob.php: Ib1ac31365f9c / T220037 (duration: 00m 59s)
  • Need to fix scap clean :\
    • thcipriani has a crappy fix in mind until http tokens in gerrit are back
      • Any idea when HTTP tokens will come back? Weeks? Months? Never? :-(
      • When security lets us, hopefully Soon™ I'm pushing for it :\

Quarterly Goals for Q4[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technology/Goals/2018-19_Q4

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Undeploy the CodeReview extension.
WHO: James, need help from CPT
  • I will ping CPT about this this week


TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Setup 1-3 of the CI WG options (Zuul v3, Argo, GitLab)
WHO:
  • Focus on a couple noteworthy repos: e.g.,
    • core
    • extensions
    • ops/puppet
  • Maybe setup in serial, i.e., a week per evaluation
  • Questions:
    • RelEng/Extended working group?
      • At least in the WG eval it was good to have non-familiar people
      • But maybe with the setup of options it might be beneficial to have experienced with current setup people.
      • Folks outside the original working group to join-in to setup options; people TBD
    • Do we need a rubric before we do this prototyping? (yes)
      • DONE lars to work on rubric week of 2019-04-01
        • See email 2019-04-08


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Instrument Quibble for data collection
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine
  • Still no progress / nowhere to store this data and other tasks taking priority


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Create a graph where time is spent and make a prioritized list for improvements.
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Prepare the Deployment Pipeline for changes to our CI tooling.
WHO: ???, ???
  • Blocked by not having new CI tooling yet


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOAL: Create a .pipeline/config.yaml standard to give users more control over how their tests are run in the pipeline and allow the easy saving of artifacts at pipeline completion. (RelEng)
WHO: Dan, Tyler, ???


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOALS:
Adopt more services into Deployment pipeline - task T212801
Wikidata Termbox SSR, Kask for Session Storage Service, cpjobqueue (stretch), ORES (stretch)
WHO: Dan, Tyler, Lars

There are tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220403

  • changeprop


  • Wikidata Termbox SSR


  • Kask for Session Storage Service


  • cpjobqueue (stretch)


TEC12 (DevProd): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Provide an "Official" Docker base image for local development of MediaWiki based on the production tooling.
WHO: Jeena, Brennen



TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Outcome 3[edit]

GOALs: Presentation/session(s) at the Wikimedia Hackathon on the current state of Code Health projects (technical debt and code stewardship)
WHO: JR
  • no progress

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL:
Publish a re-imagination of the Review Queue process.
Develop and implement metrics around task and code-review responsiveness
WHO: Greg, JR (and Andre)
  • no progress


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 4 / Output 4.2[edit]

GOALs:
Expand SonarQube reporting into CI infrastructure
Perform SonarQube analysis on all extensions
Engage user communities in direct feedback solicitation
WHO: JR, Zeljko, Code Health Metrics
  • new CI patches sumitted. Going to be moving off experimental.
  • merged a patch Friday for polling results/printing results to stdout
  • Perform SonarQube analysis on all extensions - done https://sonarcloud.io/organizations/wmftest


Other non-goal work[edit]

Selenium[edit]

  • T217544 selenium-daily-beta-MediaWiki fails due to QuickSurveys inserting HTML in the content
  • T220035 Drop Ruby Selenium CI jobs; we don't support them any more
  • T174018 [EPIC] Port Minerva's browser tests to Selenium Node.js
  • T219815 Create integration tests to cover potential issues with editing and uploading on Commons


Gerrit[edit]

Phabricator[edit]

  • vandalism rollback tool
  • Started working on some other phab security hardening

Jenkins[edit]

QA/Code Health[edit]

  • Daniel met with Code Health Metric WG to discuss his work around Cycle dependency.
  • Setting up meeting with Corey and Marcella to discuss next/steps annual planning re software maintenance.

SCAP[edit]


Standup![edit]

Antoine[edit]


Brennen[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Get first pass at releng/dev-images to a reviewable state
      • Got docker-pkg / CI image notes from Antoine on Friday, acting on that
    • Push from last week: Follow up with Eric Gardner re: docs
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Dan[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
  • Write up an email to Analytics (MUST do)
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Greg[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • tech-mgt F2F Tue-Fri, slow response
    • Quality Team follow-up
    • Gerrit incident meeting (today) follow-up
    • Annual Budget process kickoff/walk through meeting today
    • Talking with Deb today about Offsite agenda and support
    • Quarterly goal checkin meeting today (tyler attending?)
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?

James[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • I owe Jeena some Mac testing of local-charts
    • CodeReview status wrangling from CPT
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jean-Rene[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • reach out/start Code Review workgroup
    • Continue work on Test Strategy
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jeena[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Address comments on mac mw install script/readme for local-charts
    • Work on volume mounting script in local-charts
    • Work on using x debug in the local-charts env
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Lars[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • read Go book
    • discuss rubric for CI evaluation
    • attempt to get Minikube working in a VM
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?
    • six months at WMF today


Mukunda[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Train
    • Phabricating phabricator phabulously
      • Train task generation is broken
      • Phabricator global search is partially broken
      • Phabricator calendar is broken
  • What I'm blocked on
    • Time
  • Other?


Tyler[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Gerrit revert tool
    • Gerrit plugin deploys
    • Gerrit explosion monitoring
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?
    • Quick/dirty fix for scap clean


Zeljko[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • T217544 selenium-daily-beta-MediaWiki fails due to QuickSurveys inserting HTML in the content
    • T220035 Drop Ruby Selenium CI jobs; we don't support them any more
    • T174018 [EPIC] Port Minerva's browser tests to Selenium Node.js
    • T219815 Create integration tests to cover potential issues with editing and uploading on Commons
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?

Grooming[edit]

Team Kanban Board Review and Triage[edit]


Once / month-ish review of backlog(s)[edit]


Kanban stats[edit]

Burnup chart