Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20190211

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


2019-02-11[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Holiday_List
How to do it
  • February 2 - February 9 - Lars on vacation
  • February 4 - thcipriani
  • February Fri. 8th - Mon. Feb. 17th - Antoine, school vacations
  • February 18 (President's Day) - US Staff
  • February 19 - March 1 - Dan, vacation
  • March 11 (WMF Holiday) - US Staff
  • April 22 (WMF Holiday) - US Staff
  • April 22-27: Team offsite in Chicagoi
  • April 22nd - Antoine, Easter
  • May 1st - Antoine, labor day
  • May 8th - Antoine, 1945 victory
  • May 30th-31th - Antoine, Feast of the Ascension
  • June 10th - Antoine, Pentecost -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastertide for Antoine/France Easter holidays
  • May 27 (Memorial Day) - US Staff
  • June 19 (Juneteenth) - US Staff

Rotating positions[edit]

Train[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/s3KW8bpsXhYF/#R
  • Jan 07 - wmf.12 - Dan
  • Jan 14 - wmf.13 - Dan
  • Jan 21 - wmf.14 - Mukunda
  • Jan 28 - wmf.15 - No Train (All Hands)
  • Feb 04 - wmf.16 - Mukunda
  • Feb 11 - wmf.17 - Tyler
  • Feb 18 - wmf.18 - Tyler
  • Feb 25 - wmf.19 - Antoine


SoS[edit]

  • Zeljko 4eva! :)

Team Business[edit]

Book club[edit]


Spring Offsite[edit]

  • Location: Chicago, IL (Central timezone, UTC-5 while we're there)
  • Dates: Arrive Monday 4/22, Depart Saturday 4/27.
  • Activity day: Send your suggestions to me if you have them :) I'll make the voting spreadsheet later.
    • Chicago Bulls!!!11!oneone
      • April 10 -- Regular Season ends, so only if they're good this year :)
    • I've heard there's good pizza :P
    • Greenfield park conservatory?
    • maybe there's a nice hat shop?
  • Program: Haven't started yet :)


keysigning party[edit]


Incoming/Needs attention[edit]

Scrum of Scrums[edit]

Greg to copy to etherpad after meeting: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Scrum-of-Scrums

Incoming from last week[edit]

  • Blocking: nothing...


Outgoing this week (wrong section heading is on purpose for copy/pasting into Scrum of Scrums etherpad[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]


Callouts[edit]

  • Release Engineering


Train status and happenings[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Roles#Train_Conductor


Quarterly Goals for Q3[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technology/Goals/2018-19_Q3

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Automate the generation of change log notes
WHO: Mukunda, (Tyler on backup)
  • Changelog notes working with bot uploading to mw.org
  • Plan on trying to make this automagic as part of branch creation

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Investigate notification methods for developers with changes that are riding any given train
WHO: Mukunda, Tyler


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Instrument Quibble for data collection
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Create a graph where time is spent and make a prioritized list for improvements.
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 2 / Output 2.1[edit]

GOAL: Select and integrate a code health metric solution into our tooling.
WHO: JR, ...

Progress directly tied to overall CHM workgroup activities. Once base is done, progress will be possible on this one.

TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOALS:
Adopt more services into Deployment pipeline - task T212801
cxserver, ORES (partially), citoid, changeprop, cpjobqueue (stretch)
Deploy eventgate
WHO: Dan, Tyler, Lars


TEC12 (DevProd): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Conduct interviews with development stakeholders and compile a report that informs future work creation of a rubric.
WHO: Jeena, Mukunda

Done with interviews


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOALs:
Develop and communicate guidelines and best practices for successful Code Stewardship.
(Continued from Q2) Update/refresh review queue (review process for initial code deployment)
WHO: JR

Continued on draft of "successful Code Stewardship"

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.2[edit]

GOAL: 5 of the 15 prioritized repositories have at least 1 end-to-end test - task T206621
WHO: Zeljko



TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.3[edit]

GOALs:
Evolve/develop tools and processes to support the PE refactoring effort to improve code health.
Develop common test strategy that enable teams to engage in more effective and efficient testing practices. (maybe should be output 2.4?)
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team

Test strategy work done last week.

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 3 / Output 3.2[edit]

GOALs:
Speak at All Hands on the status of Technical Debt
Engage and coach development teams on their approach to managing technical debt.
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team

Didn't get a chance to speak re Technical Debt at All Hands. Need to find better form of broad communication.


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 4 / Output 4.1[edit]

GOALs: Code Health Dashboard with 50% of repositories covered.
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team

Roadblock overcome during All-hands.


Other non-goal work[edit]

Selenium[edit]

Gerrit[edit]

Phabricator[edit]

  • Got to meet with Legoktm (and several other people, actually) at all-hands and there is significant interest in getting a few javascript customizations integrated into phabricator. Think something like wiki gadgets but perhaps less horrifying. Candidates include (but not limited to):
    • The phab notification groups plugin ( currently a browser extension exists for firefox and chrome)
    • Gerrit patch info detailed on phab task pages - this exists as a userscript but could probabloy be handled as a phabricator extension without dirty hacks in phab core.
    • I forget what else but we might solicit other scripts and hacks from the greater wmf-phab user community and then integrate the best of them.

Jenkins[edit]

QA/Code Health[edit]

SCAP[edit]

Standup![edit]

Antoine[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Brennen[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Continue getting Jeena's local-charts working, uh, locally-to-me
      • Charts mostly seem to work, mediawiki image isn't quite working, probably just a matter of config
      • Submit a README patch, likely
    • Stand up a mediawiki-vagrant to get a feel for that part of the territory
    • Sponge some knowledge from Tyler at an opportune time
    • Sponge knowledge generally
    • Better understand k8s / minikube
    • Invest time in laptop setup (probably an evening project)
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Dan[edit]


Greg[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Draft summary of ISOSSTWG results and recommendations for officewiki
    • Get James to the team offsite :)
    • Read more of the book
    • "PE and product modernization" ... what does it mean for mid-term planning, how do we collate our plans/goals/etc
    • Announce the Docker SIG: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Docker/SIG (still waiting on mailing list I think)
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


James[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Getting my head around k8s stuff, maybe even talking to people. :-)
    • Mostly Multimedia stuff still.
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jean-Rene[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Continue work on Test Strategy
    • Continue work on Successful Code Stewardship
    • Finish up reviews of Code Stewardship candidates
      • Code Review Extension
      • Graphoid
      • UserMerge
    • Data^3 sync-up w/Dan
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jeena[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • work on local dev
    • figure out what is causing issues with minikube...
    • work with brennen
    • Reading book
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Lars[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • recover from jet lag
    • process email and other communications from the past two weeks
    • process personal notes from All Hands, turn them into next actions
    • find Quibble source code
    • set up way to run Quibble and MediaWiki tests
    • read Quibble source code and documentation
    • talk to Mukunda about Quibble; prepare to questions to ask Antoine when he gets back
    • start discussion with Dan about getting Blubberoid continuously deployed into production and what we need do for that (as concrete actions)
    • read some of the Go book
    • read some of the CD book
  • What I'm blocked on
    • jet lag induced lack of sleep
  • Other?
    • I will NOT be spending waking hours with face on keyboard, honest


Mukunda[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • write up a post-mortem about the last two trains, will summarize the conclusions from that during next week's team meeting
    • catch up on book readings
    • catch up with Daniel about phab stuff
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Tyler[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Train
    • Train automation
    • code review:
      • sonarkube CI stuff
      • paladox stuff
      • pipelinelib
    • Pipeline feedback from CI
    • reading CD book
    • reading k8s internals stuff
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Zeljko[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • catch up
  • What I'm blocked on
    • setting up GPG
  • Other?
    • I can confirm that my key is correct


Grooming[edit]

Team Kanban Board Review and Triage[edit]


Once / month-ish review of backlog(s)[edit]


Kanban stats[edit]

Burnup chart