Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20180618

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


2018-06-18[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Holiday_List
How to do it
  • June 19: WMF Monthly Holiday - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth
  • June 18-22: Dan – Vacation
  • July 2: Greg's BDay!!!
  • July 4: US Holiday
  • July 16: Mukunda's bday.....funtimes
  • August 15: WMF Monthly Holiday
  • August ~: Antoine
  • September a week or so - Antoine
  • Middle of August...a few days somewhere - thcipriani

Rotating positions[edit]

Train[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/?project=PHID-PROJ-fmcvjrkfvvzz3gxavs3a&statuses=open%28%29&group=none&order=newest#R
  • June 11 - wmf.8 - Dan (with Tyler doing Thursday)
  • June 18 - wmf.9 - Dan (no train, SRE summit) <----
  • June 25 - wmf.10 - Dan
  • July 02 - wmf.11 - Zeljko - no train, Fourth of July
  • July 09 - wmf.12 - Zeljko
  • July 16 - wmf.13 - Zeljo
  • July 23 - wmf.14 - Antoine
  • July 30 - wmf.15 - Antoine


SoS[edit]

  • June 11 - Tyler
  • June 18 - Tyler <----
  • June 25 - Tyler
  • July 02 - Dan
  • July 09 - Dan
  • July 16 - Dan
  • July 23 - Zeljko
  • July 30 - Zeljko
  • August 06 - Antoine
  • August 13 - Antoine

Team Business[edit]

Updates[edit]

  • Gerrit duplicate account issue
    • tl;dr ugh, too cutting edge
    • tyler and mukunda pairing after meeting

Q1 Goals time![edit]

TODO:

  • Per program determine attainable quarterly goals (duh)
  • NB: For the DevProd program I'm just going to put ~"Hire an engineer"
  • TODO: By monday have a list of goals per program.

Scrum of Scrums[edit]

Greg to copy to etherpad after meeting: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Scrum-of-Scrums

This week[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]

Last week[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]

Train status and happenings[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Roles#Train_Conductor


Past week status updates[edit]

All of it in table form: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Goals/201718Q4

Quaterly Goals for Q4[edit]

Program 1: Outcome 5: Objective 1: Maintain existing shared Continuous Integration infrastructure[edit]

Migrate away from Nodepool - task T190097
Migrate MediaWiki PHPUnit tests to Shipyard (docker-based CI) (~40% of Nodepool usage) - task T183512
Add Composer support to Blubber - task T186547
Add Python/Tox support to Blubber - task T186545
Add Ruby/Gem/Bundler/Rake support to Blubber - task T188950
  • Gated extensions work with Quibble - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T197469
    • Pass for extensions on master/wmf branch. Some edges cases. Should be done by end of week.
    • Nodepool leftover would be ~ 1% of what we used previously.

Program 3: Outcome 1: Objective 2: Identify and find stewards for high-priority/high use code segment orphans[edit]

Broad role out of Code Stewardship model.
Update Maintainers/Developers page with currently known Code Stewards.
Use Code Stewardship review process to address gaps.
Deploy dashboard of Code Stewardship Coverage
  • Q4 Stewardship review progress
  • Worked on Dashboard mock-up

Program 3: Outcome2: Objective 2: Define and implement a process to regularly address technical debt across the Foundation[edit]

Roll out of technical debt reduction approaches.
Identify early adopter engineering teams to test approaches.
  • Continued evaluation of Platform team Tech Debt and approach to managing.


Program 6: Outcome 2: Objective 2: Prove viability of testing staged service containers alongside MediaWiki extension containers[edit]

Add Composer support to Blubber - task T186547
Small, standalone, MediaWiki containers built using Blubber
Limited scope with: Debian Stretch, php7, composer dependencies, Mariadb, Apache (or last two with standalone containers)
Build MW base containers upon branch cut at master branch point from core
Build ext specific containers using MW image as base
  • In progress:
    • Base container image for mediawiki
    • Groovy library for pipeline
  • Got a CI namespace on the k8s cluster thanks to _Joe_!!!

Quaterly non-goal "Work"[edit]

Program 1: Outcome 1: Objective 1: Scap (Tech Debt Sprint FY201718-Q2)[edit]

workboard


Program 1: Outcome 5: Objective 1: Maintain existing shared Continuous Integration infrastructure[edit]

Program 1: Outcome 6: Milestone 1: Maintain Gerrit[edit]

Program 1: Outcome 6: Milestone 2: Maintain Phabricator[edit]

Streamline logspam workflows by adding some integration with phabricator
Store git-lfs (and other phab uploads) in swift: task T182085


Other work[edit]

Standup![edit]

Antoine[edit]


Dan[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Greg[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Comp changes
    • Annual Review reading/writing
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jean-Rene[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Meet with RelatedSites code stewards to review sunsetting plans
    • Close out remaining Q4 Stewardship Review tasks.
    • Finish Code Stewardship coverage dashboard
    • Review and communicate Beta Cluster survey results
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Mukunda[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Deal with Phabricator and Gerrit issues
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Tyler[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Gerrit stuffs
    • MediaWiki base image for Q4 goal
    • Scap clean
    • Deploy notes
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Zeljko[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • T190710 Minerva Ruby and Node.js browser tests running side by side
    • T194252 Configure the CI job that runs WikibaseLexeme's browser tests against beta wikidata
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Grooming[edit]

Team Kanban Board Review and Triage[edit]


Once / month-ish review of backlog(s)[edit]


Kanban stats[edit]

Burnup chart