Wikimedia Hackathon 2022
The Wikimedia Hackathon was a free, online event to work together on technical projects, learn new skills, and meet other technical contributors.
Don't forget, all participants must follow the Code of Conduct for Wikimedia's Technical Spaces and Friendly Space Policy.
The Hackathon brings together technical contributors around the world, from code creators, maintainers, translators, designers, to technical writers and other roles. Newcomers are welcome!
Add yourself to the participants list to share your interests with others.
There are many ways to participate:
- Contribute to and creating projects
- Participate in or host sessions
- Attend in-person meetups
- Explore the virtual game space
- Check out our Hackathon artwork (and feel free to print it for your use!)
- Show off your work in the Showcase!
The Hackathon is May 20–22, 2022. It's happening:
- In an online game-style space.
- At in-person meetups that community members around the world are hosting.
Hacking can happen at any hour of the day. Most events will happen from – and – each day. For more information, see the schedule.
- If you have any accessibility or translation requests, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Code of Conduct for Wikimedia's Technical Spaces and Friendly Space Policy will be in effect throughout the event, on all platforms, discussion channels, and at local meetups.
- Can't make the event? Look at the materials on Wikimedia Commons.
This committee will be coordinating the organization of this year's Hackathon. Feel free to reach out to us on wiki if you need our support!
Local Meetup Grants
|Local Meetup Grant Applications have closed!|
We invite technical community members and affiliates to apply for Rapid Fund grants to host local meetups during or around the Hackathon. Grants can be between 500 and 5,000 USD. Please note that we cannot go above 5,000 USD per grant, so plan accordingly. The deadline to apply was March 27, 2022. This is a quick turn-around, so note that proposals do not have to be extensive or complex.
Examples of requests include:
|Scholarship applications have closed!|
The Wikimedia Foundation provides stipends to support individuals attending the 2022 Wikimedia Hackathon. Applications were due April 1. Individuals can apply to cover Hackathon-related expenses such as:
All stipends are $100 USD, with an added $25 USD for related bank fees.