Wikimedia Hackathon 2022/How to
Joining the Hackathon space
The Hackathon will be held in the WorkAdventure platform, a virtual game-space. We will publish the link to enter the space 3 hours before the first set of Core Hours.
Before joining the space, please read carefully:
- WorkAdventure is a tool developed by a company based in Europe. The user data stored is mostly the username and avatar preferences. The content of the video discussions are not stored on their servers.
- All users should abide by the Code of Conduct for Wikimedia's Technical Spaces.
- As long as you have the WorkAdventure tab open, people can automatically contact you and access your video stream. If you don’t want to be contacted, don’t forget to close the tab/window.
Entering the game space:
- If you’re joining the map for the first time, enter a username.
- Select your avatar using arrows, or click "custom" to pick more possibilities.
- Optionally, give your browser permission to use the microphone and camera.
- Enter the game-space. You can move by using the arrows on your keyboard, or your fingers on mobile. You can move faster by pressing Shift at the same time.
Navigating the game space:
When you approach another avatar, a small video-chat will pop up.
Throughout the platform, there are virtual rooms where sessions will take place which correspond to the session themes.
There are also two open hacking rooms, an Antarctic room, and a newcomers room, which are open for use at anytime.
The Help and Moderation room, at the entrance to the game space, will be staffed during core hours to answer questions. If you have urgent concerns, email the organizers.
When you enter a room, you will join a Jitsi video conference.
Explore the map and discover the different features (for example: try to get close to one of the notice boards on the walls). You can use the map to chat with people, gather participants in one of the project rooms, or wander in the garden.
What to do if you're new
First time at a Wikimedia Hackathon? Check out our tips on what to do if you're new.
Hosting a session
There are several ways to host sessions. You can:
- Host a session during the Hackathon about a technical topic of your choice
- Host a social session during the Hackathon, such as a meditation session, music performance, art lesson, or online game.
We also wrote up some tips for hosting sessions.
Joining a session
Check out the schedule to see what sessions are available. Links to participate will be posted in May.
Suggesting or joining a project
Hackathons are all about hacking! There are many ways to work on a project, including:
- Add your projects that others can join and support as tasks to the Phabricator workboard
- Look at the Phabricator workboard for projects you have the skills to join and support
- Propose projects that you need help with on the Phabricator workboard
Phabricator is a tool for tracking issues and for project management. If you have not used Phabricator before, check Phabricator/Help.
Attending a meetup
There are many meetups happening around the world. To participate in a meetup, you can
- Find a meetup near you on the meetups page.
- Host a local meetup for attendees near you. Make sure to post about it on the [[<tvar name=1>Special:MyLanguage/Wikimedia Hackathon 2022/Meetups</tvar>|meetups]] page so people know where to find you!
Other Volunteer opportunities
We are looking for people to help us run an awesome and smooth event! If you’re interested in helping with facilitating a room or newcomer support, you can add your name to the Helper Roles page. Or feel free to volunteer directly by: