Talk! DO IT NOW!
A barnstar for you!
|The Original Barnstar|
|haha~looks nice! Vvv214wth (talk) 00:14, 1 May 2013 (UTC)|
GSoC / OPW IRC AllHands this week
Hi, you are invited to the GSoC / OPW IRC AllHands meeting on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 15:00 UTC (8:30pm IST, 8am PDT) at #wikimedia-office. We have done our best finding a time that works decently in as many timezones as possibles. Please confirm at qgilwikimedia.org so I can add you to the calendar invitation and I have your preferred email for other occasions. If you can't make it's fine, but let me know as well. We have left a notice to all students, but your help is welcome making sure yours is aware about it. Thank you!--Qgil (talk) 20:29, 24 June 2013 (UTC)
Google Code-in: are you in?
Hi, a year ago you were interested in mentoring at Google Code-In. This week we are working on a proposal to participate this year (the deadline to submit proposals is October 28). We are basically compiling tasks for Code-in students and recruiting mentors for tasks and meta-mentors for areas. If you are interested get involved now. Thank you! --Qgil (talk) 23:09, 21 October 2013 (UTC)
Hello, I would like to get your input upon my proposal, that can be implemented standalone, but some time in future would have to be connected to Real-time collaboration project. Please check https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Forum#On-wiki_chat and my post on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Future/Real-time_collaboration talk page.Tdfdc (talk) 16:35, 9 January 2014 (UTC)
Note on Commons
Hey there, have you considered opening a staff account so you don't have to prefix your comments with "as a member of the community, not as a staff member of Wikimedia Foundation". I think you've seen a lot of those around here, suffixed with (WMF) and the like. TeleComNasSprVen (talk) 05:05, 10 February 2014 (UTC)
- Honestly the thought had crossed my mind, but it's so intensely rare that I have to do that that I decided not to. I needed to at the MP4 RFC because there was a specific policy about not voicing staff opinions there, but other RFCs are basically not brought by the WMF very often, so I have decided not to really bother with the complication. You can otherwise assume that I'm acting under the guise of a member of the engineering community. :) --MarkTraceur (talk) 08:53, 10 February 2014 (UTC)
3D viewer needed ?
Hi, I work for Wikimédia France, and one of our partners, working at BNU (Bibliothèque nationale et universitaire de Strasbourg) reached out to us to tell us he could dig in and find opportunities to provide us with a 3D viewer, if needed (in reference to this task on Phabricator : https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T3790). So... I'm enquiring whether there is still a need, to confirm or overturn the offer. Let me know ! Anne-Laure WMFr (talk) 13:51, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
- @Anne-Laure WMFr: Hi! I have asked our product manager to take a look. --MarkTraceur (talk) 14:57, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
- @Anne-Laure WMFr: Hey there.
- What kinds of 3D file are you and BNU thinking of? The kind of "simple" ones for 3D shape files (like you could make in a 3D printer) are the ones we have progress on so far.
- On phab:T132058, User:GDubuc (WMF) did some work during the Hackathon in Jerusalem in April on providing support for these and demo'ed it there. Since then, some of that work has been made ready – see Extension:3d – but it is waiting for security review and is not yet deployed. I don't know whether what he had for the client-side 3D file viewing was ready to go or not (it looked good). Maybe he might have some ideas?
- There's also other kinds of "3D" file. A simpler one is interactive panoramas, which might also be really good to support for e.g. Commons. Support on this would be great. The other kind, full 3D graphics (with textures and so on, like this example), though really impressive, has very big, fundamental security issues. It's unclear how we would overcome them, so for now we're not looking at that.
- Hope this helps! Jdforrester (WMF) (talk) 15:15, 24 May 2016 (UTC)